Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Soil pipe cutting/routing

I am fitting out a new bathroom in an extension. The soil pipe for
the toilet has to run around a wall edge and then drop down into a
socket in the floor space. Due to the next drop this runs at an angle
in the ceiling space below. It's all been OKd with building control
but I have a problem with drop heights.
I have to have an access rod point and so I need to use a RA bend with
access hole. But once this is inserted the horizontal pipe position
is too high.
Working to the minimum 18mm per metre that the building regs state for
a 110mm pipe I need to drop my pipe by about 50mm

This is very hard to explain so I've uploaded a pictu
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/4296/soilpipe.jpg

The RA access bend goes into the floor point about 70mm and I think
there is about 30mm of gentle bend that could go in. So is it OK to
chop 50mm off the RA access bend so that once it's inserted it will
drop my pipe height?

Thanks for reading.

Painters10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Mar, 22:13, Painters10 wrote:
[...]

Yes, chop your access bend about a bit if necessary.

Alternatively, if you're willing to go without that rodding point at
that location, use 2 obtuse bends in place of the 90 degree and obtuse
you have now.

2 obtuse bends will give quite a bit lower profile, and can be twisted
about each other to give a lot of angular flexibility.

If there's an appropriate spot, you could then use a straight pipe
section rodding point in the soil branch pipe.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Painters10 wrote:
[...]

Check first that there will still be enough straight to plug into the
socket. It won't work well if, as I suspect, removing 50mm will put the
seal on part of the bend.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:
Painters10 wrote:
[...]

just welly it full off silicone then.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Painters10" wrote in message
[...]

Would this give you a tighter bend radius?
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/18625/...nch-Grey-SP502

Obviously would also need a plug.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Painters10 wrote:
[...]

If you want to try that, check whether the BCO would accept it first.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Would this give you a tighter bend radius?http://www.screwfix.com/prods/18625/...92-5-87-5-Acce...

I looked at that to solve a similar problem myself, and no, they're
all the same size.

Even the floplast adjustable bend introduces a similar sized offset
(it's also double socketed).

Only making the 90 degrees (or about that) up with a couple of obtuse
bends worked.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the suggestions.
BCO want a rodding point at that position and I can't change the
access branch easily, so I think my only course is to chop the pipe
and silicone it so that it's not just the rubber seal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 11, 8:53 am, Painters10 wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions.
BCO want a rodding point at that position and I can't change the
access branch easily, so I think my only course is to chop the pipe
and silicone it so that it's not just the rubber seal.

BCOs IMHO are very pragmatic and I would expect them to *assist* you
with a solution rather than insist on a sceme that would not actually
work out...unless you've wound him up? :))

Give him a call and chat about it ?

Cheers
JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Can you rotate the socket in the floor space and then use a 45 or
adjustable connector (not sure if these come with access points)? You
may have to cut some of the flooring away to allow rotation.

Cutting soil pipe lagerboy69 UK diy 2 April 10th 05 07:53 AM
Cast iron soil pipe- cutting S Viemeister UK diy 21 March 4th 05 01:37 PM
Cutting cast-iron soil pipe Ben Edgington UK diy 6 September 10th 03 12:48 PM
cutting soil pipe Frisket UK diy 4 July 24th 03 12:27 PM
cutting soil pipe Frisket UK diy 1 July 23rd 03 09:50 PM