Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tollerance on RCD trip current

Hi, All.

What is regarded as the acceptable tolerance for an RCD tripping current?

Let's assume a 30mA RCD.

I've read that the tollerance is that it must trip between 50% and 100%
of the rated value. ( ie it may trip at 15mA and still be in spec ). I
didn't trust the source of that quote too much, so I'd like a second
opinion.

Thanks

--
Ron
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ron Lowe" wrote in message
Hi, All.

What is regarded as the acceptable tolerance for an RCD tripping current?

Let's assume a 30mA RCD.

I've read that the tollerance is that it must trip between 50% and 100% of
the rated value. ( ie it may trip at 15mA and still be in spec ). I
didn't trust the source of that quote too much, so I'd like a second
opinion.

Thanks

--
Ron

The standard test is 0.5* trip current (at which it must stay closed) and
then at 1* trip current (at which it must trip). Did one yesterday which
went at 24mA (30mA type) which is typical using additional ramp test (i.e.
exactly what current it trips at). So if it tripped at 15mA (0.5I) it would
fail, but 16mA would pass.

Mitch

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mitch wrote:

What is regarded as the acceptable tolerance for an RCD tripping current?
Let's assume a 30mA RCD.

I've read that the tollerance is that it must trip between 50% and 100% of
the rated value. ( ie it may trip at 15mA and still be in spec ). I
didn't trust the source of that quote too much, so I'd like a second
opinion.

The standard test is 0.5* trip current (at which it must stay closed) and
then at 1* trip current (at which it must trip). Did one yesterday which
went at 24mA (30mA type) which is typical using additional ramp test (i.e.
exactly what current it trips at). So if it tripped at 15mA (0.5I) it would
fail, but 16mA would pass.

Mitch

OK, Thanks for that.

--
Ron
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/03/2010 18:53, Ron Lowe wrote:
Hi, All.

What is regarded as the acceptable tolerance for an RCD tripping current?

Let's assume a 30mA RCD.

I've read that the tollerance is that it must trip between 50% and 100%
of the rated value. ( ie it may trip at 15mA and still be in spec ). I
didn't trust the source of that quote too much, so I'd like a second
opinion.

Thanks

As Mitch said, the standard is that it must *not* trip at 15mA and it
*must* trip at 30mA. It *must* trip at 150mA (5 * 30mA) within 40ms.

In practice, if it trips close to 15mA then it will often be a nuisance,
so manufacturers do tend to go for higher trip currents.

However, the circuitry in an RCD is cruder than you might think, so any
given RCD could be anywhere between (say) 17mA and 27mA trip threshold.

Having said that, IME Hager RCDs consistently trip at or about
27mA-28mA, so are a good choice if you are replacing an RCD which is a
little over sensitive.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Mar, 00:53, Dave Osborne wrote:
[...]

FWIW every Hager 30mA RCD I have ramp tested seems to trip at 27mA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Osborne wrote:
[...]

Very useful information. I have a Crabtree 30 mA trip which I am sure is
at the bottom end of the tolerance. Trips quite often when things like
PCs and laptop PSUs are switched on. Pain in the neck. I'll fit a Hager
when the time comes.

Peter Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Mar, 16:48, Peter Scott wrote:
Dave Osborne wrote:
[...]

Peter Scott- Hide quoted text -

I'd suggest ramp testing your existing RCD - it may be tripping at a
similar level to the Hager (or not)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Osborne wrote:
[...]

Good idea.

Peter Scott

Current flow in main neutral vs. current through water meter Existential Angst Home Repair 10 November 29th 09 01:16 AM
Current flow in main neutral vs. current through water meter Chip C Home Repair 0 November 27th 09 07:54 PM
Current flow in main neutral vs. current through water meter Bill[_9_] Home Repair 0 November 27th 09 07:05 PM
trip to NYC turner fran Woodturning 4 June 14th 05 10:41 PM
MCB trip keith UK diy 2 December 31st 04 02:56 PM