Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wood filler

I'm sanding down the edges of my stairs as we want a runner carpet
rather than edge-to-edge. Want natural wood at the edges of the
carpets but there are a few gaps to fill.

Any recommendations for flexible wood fillers that can take that that
sort of movement and will also take a stain?
--

blackbat /\x/\
Posted to uk.d-i-y

blackbat wrote:
I'm sanding down the edges of my stairs as we want a runner carpet
rather than edge-to-edge. Want natural wood at the edges of the
carpets but there are a few gaps to fill.

Any recommendations for flexible wood fillers that can take that that
sort of movement and will also take a stain?

No such animal to my knowledge. There are fillers that take a stain but
unfortunately they look nothing like the same stain on the adjacent wood.
My advice would be to finish a small section of wood first and *then*
find a matching filler. Plastic wood, Brummer stopper or those wax
crayons made by Liberon maybe.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 13:58:29 +0000, stuart noble
wrote:

No such animal to my knowledge. There are fillers that take a stain but
unfortunately they look nothing like the same stain on the adjacent wood.
My advice would be to finish a small section of wood first and *then*
find a matching filler. Plastic wood, Brummer stopper or those wax
crayons made by Liberon maybe.

Might use a combination. I need to fill some nail holes etc so a
traditional wood filler will do for that but there are gaps between
the horizontals and the uprights that might need more of a mastic
style flexible, albeit paintable, filler.
You're certainly right about trying an area that won't be on show at
the end of the job.
--

blackbat /\x/\
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"blackbat" wrote in message
I'm sanding down the edges of my stairs as we want a runner carpet
rather than edge-to-edge. Want natural wood at the edges of the
carpets but there are a few gaps to fill.

Any recommendations for flexible wood fillers that can take that that
sort of movement and will also take a stain?
--

blackbat /\x/\

good filla is Sikkens guppa ...
http://www.sikkens.co.uk/en/Products...Woodfiller.htm

also same thing sold under Sadolin brand.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"blackbat" wrote in message
I'm sanding down the edges of my stairs as we want a runner carpet
rather than edge-to-edge. Want natural wood at the edges of the
carpets but there are a few gaps to fill.

Any recommendations for flexible wood fillers that can take that that
sort of movement and will also take a stain?
--

Retain the sandings. Mix stiffly with pva or similar. Use result as filler.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 19:55:11 -0000, "Rick Hughes"
wrote:

good filla is Sikkens guppa ...
http://www.sikkens.co.uk/en/Products...Woodfiller.htm

also same thing sold under Sadolin brand.

OK - I'll add it to the short list.
I like their external woodstains for sure.
--

blackbat /\x/\
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Mar, 20:05, "Nick" wrote:
"blackbat" wrote in message

... I'm sanding down the edges of my stairs as we want a runner carpet
rather than edge-to-edge. Want natural wood at the edges of the
carpets but there are a few gaps to fill.

Any recommendations for flexible wood fillers that can take that that
sort of movement and will also take a stain?
--

Retain the sandings. Mix stiffly with pva or similar. Use result as filler.

when I did that recently the "filler" dried and ultimately sanded to a
*lot* darker colour than the wood....bugger!

OP:- Could you just use decorators caulk on the horiz/vertical joins
you mention (step to stringer) assuming stringers to be painted.

Cheers
JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 20:05:05 -0000, "Nick"
wrote:

Retain the sandings. Mix stiffly with pva or similar. Use result as filler.

Good idea but not in this case - the sandings are very dark, 90 years
of use! The bare wood is a weathered pine shade.
--

blackbat /\x/\
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 12:09:58 -0800 (PST), JimK
wrote:

OP:- Could you just use decorators caulk on the horiz/vertical joins
you mention (step to stringer) assuming stringers to be painted.

Maybe. Difficult to get the right colour though.
And although caulk is flexible I find it does tend to crack after a
few years.
I something with the durability and flexibilty of silicone mastic but
paintable.
--

blackbat /\x/\
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Retain the sandings. Mix stiffly with pva or similar. Use result as filler.

Good idea but not in this case - the sandings are very dark, 90 years
of use! The bare wood is a weathered pine shade.

Sandings are always much darker, whatever the wood. It seems a logical
solution but it doesn't work in practice. I recently collected sawdust
from some Victorian pine floorboards and it was as near as dammit a
terra cotta colour, completely different from the face of the boards.
IME a light oak shade of filler is usually the closest match for clear
varnished wood

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
OP:- Could you just use decorators caulk on the horiz/vertical joins
you mention (step to stringer) assuming stringers to be painted.

Maybe. Difficult to get the right colour though.

....you're painting the stringers aren't you?

And although caulk is flexible I find it does tend to crack after a
few years.
I something with the durability and flexibilty of silicone mastic but
paintable.

could be a long search! what colour silicone would you want?

NB. how would paint flex on silicone without cracking??

Cheers
JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 00:52:49 -0800 (PST), JimK
wrote:

Maybe. Difficult to get the right colour though.

...you're painting the stringers aren't you?

Yes the stringers and 'skirting is painted white.
But I'm staining, waxing or varnishing the risers and treads and
that's where I need to make good the old wood and fill the gaps
between the risers and treads.

And although caulk is flexible I find it does tend to crack after a
few years.
I something with the durability and flexibilty of silicone mastic but
paintable.

could be a long search! what colour silicone would you want?

NB. how would paint flex on silicone without cracking??

Well, I may need to varnish and afterwards run a bead of caulk /
mastic along the gap between the risers and treads.

The yanks keep banging on about siliconized acrylic latex caulk but we
don't seem to sell it here. It's flexible, has silicon durability and
is overpaintable.

--

blackbat /\x/\
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 08:39:31 +0000, stuart noble
wrote:

IME a light oak shade of filler is usually the closest match for clear
varnished wood

I agree there. Thanks.
--

blackbat /\x/\

Filler For Cracked/Rotted Wood - Mr Mack's Wood Fix Equivalent abby Home Repair 5 July 26th 08 05:31 AM
Wood Filler For Exterior Wood Patching ? Robert11 Home Repair 4 March 4th 07 10:04 PM
Wood filler Dave Woodworking 11 October 27th 06 11:09 PM
Wood filler David Todtman Woodworking 6 June 29th 06 07:04 PM
Using wood filler Don Dando Woodworking 3 March 30th 06 02:21 AM