Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Leaking valve/washerr :(

On the water supply to my toilet cistern there's a 15mm ballofix type isolating valve. One side is a 15mm compression fitting, which goes onto the copper pipe. The other is a 1/2" female screw fitting, which screws onto the threaded connection to the cistern ball valve, like the one in this pic...

http://tinyurl.com/ya22ztv

Problem is its started leaking from 1/2" threaded end, where it connects onto the ball valve fitting.

I replaced the fibre washer, it still leaks. Tried putting thread tape around the threads on the ball valve fitting, it STILL leaks.

Also, it seems to leak worse when its done up tight than when its slack.

May seem like a simplistic question, but how the hell do I cure this? The two things I thought would remedy this haven't worked. Am I doing somethign wrong? Should I just slap "Plumbers mait" compound all over the joint and hope for the best?

TIA

--
Best Wishes
Simon (aka Dark Angel)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon (Dark Angel) wrote:
On the water supply to my toilet cistern there's a 15mm ballofix type
isolating valve. One side is a 15mm compression fitting, which goes
onto the copper pipe. The other is a 1/2" female screw fitting, which
screws onto the threaded connection to the cistern ball valve, like
the one in this pic...

http://tinyurl.com/ya22ztv

Problem is its started leaking from 1/2" threaded end, where it
connects onto the ball valve fitting.

If thats plastic it highly likely its cross threaded

I replaced the fibre washer, it still leaks. Tried putting thread
tape around the threads on the ball valve fitting, it STILL leaks.

Also, it seems to leak worse when its done up tight than when its
slack.

All points to cross threading. When I fit new ball valves I hand tighten
the tap connector, then do up the nut that holds the ball valve into the
cistern.

Might have to replace it.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon \(Dark Angel\)" contact me through my website wrote in
:

[...]

A) Check and check again that the threads have not crossed.

B) Ckeck that the leak is not in fact coming form the cistern to float
valve union above it.

C) Plumbers Mait will not cure the problem but there may be other leak
sealers available that could do the job.

D) Check the the threads have not crossed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Heliotrope Smith" wrote in message ...
A) Check and check again that the threads have not crossed.
B) Ckeck that the leak is not in fact coming form the cistern to float
valve union above it.
C) Plumbers Mait will not cure the problem but there may be other leak
sealers available that could do the job.
D) Check the the threads have not crossed.

Definately not cross threaded, the leak is definately coming from the joint and not the union above.

--
Best Wishes
Simon (aka Dark Angel)
Dark Angel's Realm of Horror - http://www.realmofhorror.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon (Dark Angel) wrote:
"Heliotrope Smith" wrote in message ...
A) Check and check again that the threads have not crossed.
B) Ckeck that the leak is not in fact coming form the cistern to
float valve union above it.
C) Plumbers Mait will not cure the problem but there may be other
leak sealers available that could do the job.
D) Check the the threads have not crossed.

Definately not cross threaded, the leak is definately coming from the
joint and not the union above.

FUBAR.

Change it.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message...
Change it.

The service valve or the plastic ball valve connection?

--
Best Wishes
Simon (aka Dark Angel)
Dark Angel's Realm of Horror - http://www.realmofhorror.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon (Dark Angel) wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message...
Change it.

The service valve or the plastic ball valve connection?

The plastic ball valve.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
On 4 Mar,
"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

Problem is its started leaking from 1/2" threaded end, where it
connects onto the ball valve fitting.

If thats plastic it highly likely its cross threaded

or possibly cracked.

The toilet at my daughter's had a similar problem.
The last bit of the threaded plastic pipe had cracked.
Plumber cut it back to good plastic, fitted a new washer, and the leak was
cured.
[Just managed to save enough pipe to be able to refit the female connector.]

If there is no obvious cracking then replacement may be a good idea.

Most continental cisterns I have seen have a flexible connector for the last
bit of the pipe run.
This seems a good idea to me as it must reduce the stress on the ball valve
connector.
Obviously the 'stiff' pipe must be clipped just before the flexible pipe run
starts.

I often wonder why the 'continentals' do this and the Brits in general do
not.

HTH

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:

Most continental cisterns I have seen have a flexible connector for
the last bit of the pipe run.
This seems a good idea to me as it must reduce the stress on the ball
valve connector.
Obviously the 'stiff' pipe must be clipped just before the flexible
pipe run starts.

I often wonder why the 'continentals' do this and the Brits in
general do not.

This Brit does as a matter of course. I think you are spot on.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message...
The plastic ball valve.

Done and done.

No more leaks I'm pleased to say, thanks for everyones help!

--
Best Wishes
Simon (aka Dark Angel)
Dark Angel's Realm of Horror - http://www.realmofhorror.co.uk

CH drain tap leaking, radiator valve leaking, valve not working (?) Clive UK diy 2 October 15th 08 05:13 AM
How to fix leaking valve CompleteNewb Home Repair 4 May 29th 07 02:04 PM
Leaking fluidmaster valve Tim UK diy 0 November 24th 05 08:48 PM
Leaking fluidmaster valve Tim UK diy 1 October 24th 05 08:24 PM