Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Reading skeptics' meetup

The 'Caring for pets left behind by the rapture' thread got such a good
response I thought I'd spam-and-be-damned here[0] with this:
http://reading-skeptics.org.uk/

In a nutshell: skeptics' and fellow-travellers' jolly in the Global Cafe
at RISC in London St (not Road) in Reading, Tues 16th March 18:30 - 21:30
(nominally), and thereafter on the 3rd Tuesday of each month (probably).

Not quite a Thames Valley uk.d-i-y meetup (now there's an idea whose time
has surely come[1]?) but maybe some like-minded souls in this
geographical area may be interested.

[0] or maybe not: does thinking for yourself count as a DIY activity? ;-)

[1] again, but it's been a while: last one I recall was graced by the late
lamented Andy Hall.

--
John Stumbles

Things don't like being anthropomorphised.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
The 'Caring for pets left behind by the rapture' thread got such a good
response I thought I'd spam-and-be-damned here[0] with this:
http://reading-skeptics.org.uk/

In a nutshell: skeptics' and fellow-travellers' jolly in the Global Cafe
at RISC in London St (not Road) in Reading, Tues 16th March 18:30 - 21:30
(nominally), and thereafter on the 3rd Tuesday of each month (probably).

Not quite a Thames Valley uk.d-i-y meetup (now there's an idea whose time
has surely come[1]?) but maybe some like-minded souls in this
geographical area may be interested.

[0] or maybe not: does thinking for yourself count as a DIY activity? ;-)

[1] again, but it's been a while: last one I recall was graced by the
late lamented Andy Hall.

Too far for me, but good luck with that John -

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
John Stumbles wrote:

snip
Too far for me, but good luck with that John -

I don't seem to have seen this post (unless it was in another thread).
Can someone please let me know which email address JS is using to post in
case I have inadvertently blocked it.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "David WE Roberts"
saying something like:

I don't seem to have seen this post

Read the refs in the headers and retrieve the post.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
drugs began to take hold. I remember "David WE Roberts"
saying something like:

I don't seem to have seen this post

Read the refs in the headers and retrieve the post.

Ah...O.K. I can see a series of references in the posts which get longer
further down the thread.
So I presume that the first one is the original post.
However I have no idea how to use this reference to retrieve the original
post.
My news reader is Windows Mail so is not 'feature rich'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Stumbles writes:
The 'Caring for pets left behind by the rapture' thread got such a good
response I thought I'd spam-and-be-damned here[0] with this:
http://reading-skeptics.org.uk/

In a nutshell: skeptics' and fellow-travellers' jolly in the Global Cafe
at RISC in London St (not Road) in Reading, Tues 16th March 18:30 - 21:30
(nominally), and thereafter on the 3rd Tuesday of each month (probably).

Not quite a Thames Valley uk.d-i-y meetup (now there's an idea whose time
has surely come[1]?) but maybe some like-minded souls in this
geographical area may be interested.

The next http://readinggeeknight.com/ is on 9th March
at Copa, Kings Road, in Reading (on the original site of
"The Shop on the Bridge" for those who remember that,
before it moved to other side of Reading).

This is one for professional computer geeks...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 18:24:07 +0000, David WE Roberts wrote:

My news reader is Windows Mail so is not 'feature rich'.

Ah! my original mail was cunningly crafted not to show up to adherents of
Microsoftianity ;-)

--
John Stumbles

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 18:31:14 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

The next http://readinggeeknight.com/ is on 9th March
at Copa, Kings Road, in Reading (on the original site of
"The Shop on the Bridge" for those who remember that,
before it moved to other side of Reading).

Is that the Back Of Beyond (aka Back Office Beyond :-)) renamed, where
SCLUG meet, or just nearby? Haven't been to a sclug evening for a while.

--
John Stumbles

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
Tits like coconuts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 18:31:14 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

The next
http://readinggeeknight.com/ is on 9th March
at Copa, Kings Road, in Reading (on the original site of
"The Shop on the Bridge" for those who remember that,
before it moved to other side of Reading).

This is one for professional computer geeks...

I loved that strange shop and Loverings next door to it. I went to
school with George Lovering. And Sleeps just further down the road
with it's magic tools and just-about-everything-you-could-want.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "David WE Roberts"
saying something like:

Read the refs in the headers and retrieve the post.

Ah...O.K. I can see a series of references in the posts which get longer
further down the thread.
So I presume that the first one is the original post

That's it.
..
However I have no idea how to use this reference to retrieve the original
post.

In Agent, I double click on the ref and Agent goes and gets it with a
bit of jumping about.

My news reader is Windows Mail so is not 'feature rich'.

Possibly not this way, true.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
The 'Caring for pets left behind by the rapture' thread got such a good
response I thought I'd spam-and-be-damned here[0] with this:
http://reading-skeptics.org.uk/

You could think of it as DIY salvation. ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

The next
http://readinggeeknight.com/ is on 9th March
at Copa, Kings Road, in Reading (on the original site of
"The Shop on the Bridge" for those who remember that,
before it moved to other side of Reading).

This is one for professional computer geeks...

I loved that strange shop and Loverings next door to it. I went to
school with George Lovering. And Sleeps just further down the road
with it's magic tools and just-about-everything-you-could-want.

My grandparents knew Mr and Mrs Milne who originally owned
"The Shop on the Bridge". My grandparents weren't anywhere
near Reading, but originally met them when they were staying
in the same hotel on holiday in Bournemouth, and they got on
well. The wholesale side of the shop was called Milnes, and
occupied several rather derelict looking shops further along
Kings Road towards the town centre. I think it's their son
who still runs the current "The Shop on the Bridge" on the
other side of Reading, although I haven't been in there for
a few years.

I went to school with Sleep's grandson...
By the time Sleeps moved into its final position in St. Mary's
Butts, his father had taken over running the store from his
grandfather.

Small world...

I remember Loverings now you mention it.
My recollection is that it was very expensive - generally
too expensive for me to spend my pocket money in there.
I tended to use Henry's Radio in London (and many other
similar shops along that bit of Edgeware Road) which were
much cheaper, and Proops in Tottenham Court Road.
Eventually, Maplin and Rapid when they started doing
mail order.

Another place I remember was Jones Radio in Oxford Road,
which was mainly a TV repair shop, but also sold electronic
components if you asked. I drove past a few weeks ago, and
it looked like it had just gone - you could still make out
the shop name where the letters had recently been removed
from the facia.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Stumbles writes:
On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 18:31:14 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

The next http://readinggeeknight.com/ is on 9th March
at Copa, Kings Road, in Reading (on the original site of
"The Shop on the Bridge" for those who remember that,
before it moved to other side of Reading).

Is that the Back Of Beyond (aka Back Office Beyond :-)) renamed, where
SCLUG meet, or just nearby? Haven't been to a sclug evening for a while.

I didn't know about it, but a quick glance at a map, and it
looks like that's a few hundred yards further out of Reading
than Copa.

--
Andrew Gabriel

OT Reading TheOldFellow UK diy 11 September 27th 09 12:35 PM
hello Sam, what are we reading Gordon[_6_] Electronics Repair 0 April 13th 09 03:26 AM
KSRM Available at the DC Area Machinist's Meetup [email protected] Metalworking 2 November 18th 08 06:24 PM
Reading this ng Matthew Woodworking 0 January 30th 05 07:55 PM