Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default There's a hole in my shoe

I stepped on a drawing pin, and now my leather soled-shoe lets in
moisture - just walking over damp ground is enough to get a wet sock.

Is it possible to repair this myself?

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:
I stepped on a drawing pin, and now my leather soled-shoe lets in
moisture - just walking over damp ground is enough to get a wet sock.

Is it possible to repair this myself?

Daniele

You could try the "cure all" that a lot of tradesmen (and diy'ers) swear
by ------ a spot of silicone mastic!

Or pop into one of the little shoe repair/key cutting shops that seem to be
in Cardiff and ask them to plug the hole with whatever 'professional' gunge
that they use (should only cost around a couple of pounds).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 22:11:11 +0000, D.M. Procida wrote:

I stepped on a drawing pin, and now my leather soled-shoe lets in
moisture - just walking over damp ground is enough to get a wet sock.

Is it possible to repair this myself?

Good stuff for fixing shoes is Shoe Goo. You can get it via Amazon. Not
cheap, but a lot cheaper than shoes. Just squeeze a bit onto the hole and
work it in with a bit of matchstick and let it set.

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info

Posted to uk.d-i-y

(D.M. Procida) wrote:

I stepped on a drawing pin, and now my leather soled-shoe lets in
moisture - just walking over damp ground is enough to get a wet sock.

Is it possible to repair this myself?

Yes.

Dry the shoe thoroughly and inject the hole with rubber solution, as
used for traditional bicycle puncture repairs. Allow to dry
thoroughly, say 24 hours.

If that doesn't work, have new soles fitted at a shoe repairer.

Either car body filler, or a pot mender (anyone remember them?).

Actually I had much the same experience a while ago when a
roofing-felt nail punctured a sole of a pair of casual/trainer type
shoes and almost punctured my foot (it was bloody painful). The hole
in the sole seems to have more or less sealed itself but I still try
to avoid walking in puddles.
The 'tread' on the soles is well worn down (up?) anyway, so it's time
for a new pair when I can find something comfortable...For any serious
walking I much prefer Brasher TrailMaster boots.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Tom wrote:

Out of interest how much does it generally cost to get new soles fitter to a
pair of shoes?

£15-£30

That rather explains why leather soled shoes are fast
disappearing.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"D.M. Procida" wrote in
message
I stepped on a drawing pin, and now my leather soled-shoe lets in
moisture - just walking over damp ground is enough to get a wet sock.

Is it possible to repair this myself?

Daniele

You can buy stick on rubber sole protectors which are actually quite good
for expensive shoes as they protect the actual leather sole and you can
replace them once they're worn through. I used to use them on my Churches
brogues which cost a bloody fortune to have new soles fitted.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dear Lisa dear Lisa
There's a hole in my shoe dear Lisa a hole

I'll get my coat....

--
The eMail address used in newsgroups is invalid - reply to group only for me
to see.
I stepped on a drawing pin, and now my leather soled-shoe lets in
moisture - just walking over damp ground is enough to get a wet sock.

Is it possible to repair this myself?

Daniele

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"clip52" wrote in message ...
Dear Lisa dear Lisa
There's a hole in my shoe dear Lisa a hole

I'll get my coat....

I climbed on the back of a giant albatross
Which flew through a crack in the cloud
To a place where happiness reigned all year round
And music played ever so loudly

Perhaps you could get mine too...
--
Graham.