Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I hate uPVC – repairing lock in door

Hi,

I think the part of the lock that is in the door frame is the strike
or keep. Well, that part, in my uPVC door (possibly most), is a metal
plate with a slot screwed on to the uPVC frame. Well one of the
screws holding the strike at the top of the door is loose and will not
tighten – the screw just rotates. As a result the strike slips and the
rod in the door sometimes will not pass into the strike. I can
overcome this by pushing the strike back into position by hand.
However, I have to tell visitors who have a key to door this if the
door does not lock. So, Is there some material I can “inject” into the
current screw hold in the uPVC that will reduce the size of the hole
and stay in place in the frame, thereby allowing me to tighten the
screw and fix the strike? The same way one used to put splinters of
wood and wood glue into oversize holes in wooden door frames.

Thanks

Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive wrote:
[...]

I once repaired a loose hinge on a metal door frame in an office partition
that was like that. The hinge screwed into a thread on the frame which was
u/s.

I drilled both holes out & used a spring toggle.
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/34386/...0mm-Pack-of-20

Or maybe you could use a pop rivet?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Clive wrote:
Hi,

I think the part of the lock that is in the door frame is the strike
or keep. Well, that part, in my uPVC door (possibly most), is a metal
plate with a slot screwed on to the uPVC frame. Well one of the
screws holding the strike at the top of the door is loose and will not
tighten – the screw just rotates. As a result the strike slips and the
rod in the door sometimes will not pass into the strike. I can
overcome this by pushing the strike back into position by hand.
However, I have to tell visitors who have a key to door this if the
door does not lock. So, Is there some material I can “inject” into the
current screw hold in the uPVC that will reduce the size of the hole
and stay in place in the frame, thereby allowing me to tighten the
screw and fix the strike?

Drill a bigger hole & coutersink in the metal plate, and use a larger
self-tapping screw.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive wrote:
[...]

If you have someone near you selling UPVc supplies such as locks and
handles, pop down there and ask them to sell you some *REPAIR* screws for
UPVc.

These are very slightly larger than the original fixings and have a coarser,
twin 'spiral' thread that bites into the plastic around the original hole.

Cash