Worcester Bosch Greenstar Jr 28i combi - problems?

Old February 12th 10, 01:02 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Worcester Bosch Greenstar Jr 28i combi - problems?

Yesterday, my WB Greenstar Junior 28i combi developed an interesting
fault. Just as I was getting all lathered up with soap in my eyes, the
water turned icy cold. Lovely.

Towelling up and cursing, I found the boiler in lockout (red reset light
and blue mains light flashing alternately). Pressed the reset button to
be given a Christmas tree-like display of colours and was rewarded a
couple mins later with hot water. Until it went into lockout again a
few minutes later. Engineer that fitted it came out, sucked his teeth.
"it's faulty mate." What's wrong? "Er, dunno." Now what? "I call WB for
you and they come out" When? "they'll be here before 6pm today"

The fault is repeatable - it can be made to happen at will, by turning
the hot tap on. In between I can get some hot water. In between a
couple of resets yesterday the boiler made a peculiar rattling sound.

Before I consider my options, I haven't bought another Suprima, have I?
The idea of having the old cast-iron pilot-lit Glow worm and grotty rads
replaced a couple years ago was to buy reliability.

Just wondering whether it might be worth paying up for the extended
warranty. Might turn out to be VFM when the original warranty expires
in November this year. Asked engineer and he just shrugged (so helpful,
these guys!) Asked whether he'd had many callbacks and he seemed
noncommittal.

It's installed in the ground floor flat in a Victorian semi conversion
with 7 large double-panelled radiators. Worcester wireless hall stat.
Has been problem free since installation.

Be grateful for any comments, thoughts, terms of abuse, etc.

M.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.

Old February 12th 10, 04:29 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
[...]

IME WB engineers are generally pretty good and at least you know they
won't have to run around looking for spares. They do a 200+ call out
for which they replace up to 3 components. Given the cost of spares
(pump over 100 etc), this isn't too bad a deal.
I've elected to cover mine with a Domestic & General policy, mainly
because it includes the heat exchanger and corrosion damage which, from
memory, the others weren't too specific about. You pays your money etc.
Old February 12th 10, 05:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Stuart
Noble writes

IME WB engineers are generally pretty good and at least you know they
won't have to run around looking for spares.

Chappy turned up from WB. Rapped a shiny metal cylinder, about half the
size of a fire extinguisher, and pronounced it dead.

He'd just used his spare on the previous job and had none left. Coming
back in the morning. H'm.

They do a 200+ call out
for which they replace up to 3 components. Given the cost of spares
(pump over 100 etc), this isn't too bad a deal.

Yes, I had that in mind, thinking ahead. Thank you.

--
(\__/)

Old February 13th 10, 01:45 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

They do a 200+ call out
for which they replace up to 3 components. Given the cost of spares
(pump over 100 etc), this isn't too bad a deal.

Yes, I had that in mind, thinking ahead. Thank you.

I had a WB 28SiII in my other house, and it was faulty from new
(fixed by WB), then went faulty again after about 18 months - "
callout fee, Sir" - within a week or so it was knackered again so I
asked for stats on the reliability of the components and what they
thought was acceptable.

I was quickly offered a reduced rate annual service contract (cheaper
than a call-out), and i've had to get it fixed a couple more times
since.

Apart from the heat exchanger, I think most parts have been replaced
at least once now, and it was only installed about 6 years ago I
think (at a push, you'll find the date on google because I posted
about it at the time IIRC).

Not impressed with WB TBH, not sure if i'd bother going with them
again if an alternative manufacturer could be recommended...

Considering this was a NON-condensing boiler, and they're generally
held to be more reliable, it says a lot about the current state of
the quality being churned out :-/
Old February 13th 10, 12:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Colin Wilson writes

Considering this was a NON-condensing boiler, and they're generally
held to be more reliable, it says a lot about the current state of
the quality being churned out :-/

Hmm. A warning worth heeding. Thank you.

WB guy left about half an hour ago. He replaced the heat exchanger and
showed me the amount of silt it had had in it. Think I'll get the
original fitter back to fit a filter.

--
(\__/)

Old February 13th 10, 02:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article ,
Colin Wilson writes

Considering this was a NON-condensing boiler, and they're generally
held to be more reliable, it says a lot about the current state of
the quality being churned out :-/

Hmm. A warning worth heeding. Thank you.

WB guy left about half an hour ago. He replaced the heat exchanger and
showed me the amount of silt it had had in it. Think I'll get the
original fitter back to fit a filter.

Unusual to have that replaced so soon I would have thought. Maybe you're
in a very hard water area
Old February 13th 10, 02:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Colin Wilson writes
[...]

When you find yourself even less impressed with other mfrs report back

they all seem to be knocking out rubbish ATM

cost of spares and after sales service is something you have to look at

WB are not bad

--
geoff
Old February 14th 10, 06:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 12:11:20 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

WB guy left about half an hour ago. He replaced the heat exchanger and
showed me the amount of silt it had had in it. Think I'll get the
original fitter back to fit a filter.

I take it that was the plate heat exchanger (sort of brick-like metal
block with 4 holes or pipes on it)?

Silt = black gritty/flakey crud?

Not a specifically W-B pr specifically condensing problem: I routinely have
non-condensing Poxi/Battertons doing that.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

I forgot to take my amnesia medecine again
Old February 15th 10, 07:18 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , YAPH
writes

I take it that was the plate heat exchanger (sort of brick-like metal
block with 4 holes or pipes on it)?

No, it was a metal cylinder (like a drinks can on steroids)

Silt = black gritty/flakey crud?

Yes, larger grains than sand, black, quite loose, not adhering to
anything at all.

--
(\__/)

Old February 17th 10, 08:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 07:18:54 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

In article , YAPH
writes

I take it that was the plate heat exchanger (sort of brick-like metal
block with 4 holes or pipes on it)?

No, it was a metal cylinder (like a drinks can on steroids)

Blimey, bad news if that had blocked up.

Silt = black gritty/flakey crud?

Yes, larger grains than sand, black, quite loose, not adhering to
anything at all.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

It's bad luck to be superstitious.