Cordless phones cutting out

Old February 12th 10, 01:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cordless phones cutting out

I have a set of 4 cordless phones. They have on occasion cut out in the
middle of a conversation. If the call is incoming I can hang up and pick up
another handset and continue, but it can happen again and the same thing
works with another handset. It first happened if I was using the speaker,
but recently it was during a normal call. The batteries are fine and the
distances between the phones and the master-phone is never more than 10m
Any ideas?
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Old February 12th 10, 06:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim S wrote:

I have a set of 4 cordless phones. They have on occasion cut out in the
middle of a conversation. If the call is incoming I can hang up and pick up
another handset and continue, but it can happen again and the same thing
works with another handset. It first happened if I was using the speaker,
but recently it was during a normal call. The batteries are fine and the
distances between the phones and the master-phone is never more than 10m

Are you sure the batteries are fine? Our phones do this occasionally,
nowadays. The batteries *seem* fine, in that they show four bars on the
charge indicator when you pick them up ... but they quickly degrade to 2
then 1. It was only last week that I realised that maybe I ought to
buy new ones (they're AAA rechargeables): they ust be at least 4 years
old by now.

John
Old February 12th 10, 07:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 17:52:01 +0000, John L wrote:

In article ,
Jim S wrote:

I have a set of 4 cordless phones. They have on occasion cut out in the
middle of a conversation. If the call is incoming I can hang up and pick up
another handset and continue, but it can happen again and the same thing
works with another handset. It first happened if I was using the speaker,
but recently it was during a normal call. The batteries are fine and the
distances between the phones and the master-phone is never more than 10m

Are you sure the batteries are fine? Our phones do this occasionally,
nowadays. The batteries *seem* fine, in that they show four bars on the
charge indicator when you pick them up ... but they quickly degrade to 2
then 1. It was only last week that I realised that maybe I ought to
buy new ones (they're AAA rechargeables): they ust be at least 4 years
old by now.

John

That was my first thought.
I have a battery tester, but am coming to the conclusion that it might give
wonky readings with rechargables. My test today was to leave the handset
next to where I am working,off the charger for several hours. That handset
cut out when the first call came in, but fortunately the handset in the
next room was still on its cradle and went on ringing.
The next question seems to be which type of battery do I replace with?
The current (no pun intended) ones are nickel metal hydride.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Old February 12th 10, 09:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

*Jim S wrote:

[...]

* * *www.jimscott.co.uk- Hide quoted text -

Are they right type of batteries????
In other words same as the originals and therefore most compatible
with the chargers!
Just a suggestion.
Old February 12th 10, 10:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

*Jim S wrote:

[...]

Ah! I never thought of that.
Yes they are the originals ~ 3 years old
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Old February 13th 10, 01:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim S wrote:

[...]

You will probably have to swap the batteries with like for like. Maplins is
a good place to start looking. Maybe just buy one set of batteries to start
with and see if that really is the problem

Adam

Old February 13th 10, 01:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Jim S saying
something like:

The next question seems to be which type of battery do I replace with?
The current (no pun intended) ones are nickel metal hydride.

I had to do exactly that with my cordless batteries - simply bunged in
some AAAs of 900mAH instead of the original weedy 600mAH ones which had
lasted several years. The cradle charger in the phone base seems to cope
perfectly well with the extra capacity - at least, there have been no
problems with the replacements at all and they've been in two years or
so.

NiMH will be fine, if that's what was in them.
Old February 13th 10, 02:39 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim S wrote:

I have a battery tester, but am coming to the conclusion that it might give
wonky readings with rechargables.

My DECT handsets own chargers and my Speed8 (Ansmann not Bentley!)
charger seem to disagree about what constitutes charged.

After about a year the phones seem to get to a point where they don't
hold much charge, so I remove the AAA NiMH cells, and charge them
externally, until the (delta-V) charger shows them as full, then I leave
them on trickle for a while. When I put them back into the phones, they
show zero bars of charge and then spend the next few hours recharging up
to 3 bars, almost as though the bars are nothing to do with reality.

Old February 13th 10, 05:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim S" wrote in message
I have a set of 4 cordless phones. They have on occasion cut out in the
middle of a conversation. If the call is incoming I can hang up and pick
up
another handset and continue, but it can happen again and the same thing
works with another handset. It first happened if I was using the speaker,
but recently it was during a normal call. The batteries are fine and the
distances between the phones and the master-phone is never more than 10m
Any ideas?
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
www.jimscott.co.uk

it's a design feature

Old February 13th 10, 10:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 12, 6:11*pm, Jim S wrote:

The next question seems to be which type of battery do I replace with?
The current (no pun intended) ones are nickel metal hydride.

With tiny AAAs the only sensible optoin is NiMH

NT

OT Cordless phones again metspitzer Home Repair 2 March 12th 09 08:07 PM
Batteries for cordless phones? Ignoramus15384 Home Repair 15 March 6th 09 05:37 AM
Cordless Phones metspitzer Home Repair 3 November 8th 08 05:29 AM
Cordless phones MiamiCuse Home Repair 39 August 6th 08 08:19 PM
Are there any REALLY good cordless phones out there? Dana Electronics Repair 6 January 23rd 04 08:59 PM