Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default dried/clogged colour inkjet cartridge rejuvenation tips please?

HP colour cartridge - old stock - blue and cyan OK, yellow not
working...any top tips for persuading it to? or surefire ways to knwo
its sh@gged and better get another? :)
ta
JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

HP colour cartridge - old stock - blue and cyan OK, yellow not
working...any top tips for persuading it to? or surefire ways to knwo
its sh@gged and better get another? :)

Depending on the cartridge, ISTR they started to "force" the "use by"
date on the cartridge by reading the date from the electronics in the
cart and refusing to print once the date passed...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 8, 9:29 pm, Colin Wilson wrote:
HP colour cartridge - old stock - blue and cyan OK, yellow not
working...any top tips for persuading it to? or surefire ways to knwo
its sh@gged and better get another? :)

Depending on the cartridge, ISTR they started to "force" the "use by"
date on the cartridge by reading the date from the electronics in the
cart and refusing to print once the date passed...

ah - well it will print in colour but minus any yellow - so cyan and
magenta are OK and it's a vintage HP840C so doubt there's anything
flash about it...

ta
JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ah - well it will print in colour but minus any yellow - so cyan and
magenta are OK and it's a vintage HP840C so doubt there's anything
flash about it...

I had the 870Cxi - great printers !

One thing you might not know about which might make it useful still
is that manufacturers use the yellow ink to secretly "mark" the
prints (it can see seen under a blue light) - it gives the date and
serial number of the printer used, and is ISN'T a function of the
driver used - they do this secret mark-up regardless.

If you need to print any legal documents "after the event" perhaps
that's the one to use ;-)

(i.e. EPOA - enduring power of attorney forms etc. - the system that
replaced it is more expensive, complicated, and harder to manage)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JimK wrote:
HP colour cartridge - old stock - blue and cyan OK, yellow not
working...any top tips for persuading it to? or surefire ways to knwo
its sh@gged and better get another? :)
ta
JimK

wipe it with water or meths spirit soaked rag.
Or bin it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JimK" wrote in message
HP colour cartridge - old stock - blue and cyan OK, yellow not
working...any top tips for persuading it to? or surefire ways to knwo
its sh@gged and better get another? :)
ta
JimK

The driver software should include management tools (Windoze, of course).
The tools should include various severities of cartridge cleaning options to
get ink flowing again.

Also, the inks are water based so gently wiping the bottom of the cartridge
with a damp paper kitchen towel should show streaks of yellow from the built
in jets if there is still viable yellow ink in the cartridge.

However, having gone down that route with neglected HP cartridges recently
you will be lucky to revive it.
Probably borked.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
, JimK
writes
HP colour cartridge - old stock - blue and cyan OK, yellow not
working...any top tips for persuading it to? or surefire ways to knwo
its sh@gged and better get another? :)

After trying wiping with alcohol etc, try attempting to print on a sheet
of paper lightly sprayed with ammonia. Very last resort is a wipe with
an ammonia dampened paper towel.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
After trying wiping with alcohol etc, try attempting to print on a sheet
of paper lightly sprayed with ammonia. Very last resort is a wipe with
an ammonia dampened paper towel.

I've also left the printhead resting in a pool of water for a few hours -
softens up dried on stuff blocked in the jets. (This is the HP type where
the cartridge /is/ the printhead, so a failure just means binning the
cartridge)

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 00:08:33 GMT, wrote:
On 8 Feb,
JimK wrote:

HP colour cartridge - old stock - blue and cyan OK, yellow not
working...any top tips for persuading it to? or surefire ways to knwo
its sh@gged and better get another? :)
ta

Hope to get something for it on Ebay, and buy a colour laser instead. The
best thing I did!

The recently revived Morgan Computers have some great offers on colour
laser printers. There's a Dell 1320cn which comes with two sets of
compatible toner cartridges for only £129.99 inc VAT, new.

http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JimK wrote:

HP colour cartridge - old stock - blue and cyan OK, yellow not
working...any top tips for persuading it to? or surefire ways to knwo
its sh@gged and better get another? :)
ta

Hope to get something for it on Ebay, and buy a colour laser instead. The
best thing I did!

The recently revived Morgan Computers have some great offers on colour
laser printers. There's a Dell 1320cn which comes with two sets of
compatible toner cartridges for only £129.99 inc VAT, new.

http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/

The size of the bloody thing though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JimK wrote:

HP colour cartridge - old stock - blue and cyan OK, yellow not
working...any top tips for persuading it to? or surefire ways to knwo
its sh@gged and better get another? :)
ta
Hope to get something for it on Ebay, and buy a colour laser instead. The
best thing I did!

The recently revived Morgan Computers have some great offers on colour
laser printers. There's a Dell 1320cn which comes with two sets of
compatible toner cartridges for only £129.99 inc VAT, new.

http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/

The size of the bloody thing though.

True, but with all those different toners, a colour laser printer will
never be small.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JimK wrote:
HP colour cartridge - old stock - blue and cyan OK, yellow not
working...any top tips for persuading it to? or surefire ways to knwo
its sh@gged and better get another? :)
ta
JimK

You could take it to Cartridge world and see if they can re-fill it.
They have an ink purging machine that they use for their processing.
If it is not a genuine HP one, then bin it and buy a copy.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
In article
, JimK
writes
HP colour cartridge - old stock - blue and cyan OK, yellow not
working...any top tips for persuading it to? or surefire ways to knwo
its sh@gged and better get another? :)

After trying wiping with alcohol etc, try attempting to print on a sheet
of paper lightly sprayed with ammonia. Very last resort is a wipe with
an ammonia dampened paper towel.

And when the OP finds some ammonia, let us know where you bought it
from. I went down this route some time ago, only to be told that it is
now a controlled substance.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Househ...-500ml_923908/
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JimK wrote:

HP colour cartridge - old stock - blue and cyan OK, yellow not
working...any top tips for persuading it to? or surefire ways to knwo
its sh@gged and better get another? :)
ta
Hope to get something for it on Ebay, and buy a colour laser instead. The
best thing I did!

The recently revived Morgan Computers have some great offers on colour
laser printers. There's a Dell 1320cn which comes with two sets of
compatible toner cartridges for only £129.99 inc VAT, new.

http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/

The size of the bloody thing though.

True, but with all those different toners, a colour laser printer will
never be small.

Mine is huge, 18 by 21 by 12 inches high, but I see the price of them is
coming down quite well these days. There are lots of options sub
£150-00. That is what I paid for mine over 3 years ago and it had full
toner carts in it to boot. I bought one, the store manager bought one
and some other lucky devil got the last one. They thought they only had
the one on the discount display, but there were another two boxed in the
warehouse.

I had been in the store looking at what was on offer and asked the
manager to box it up for me, leaving him time to get everything back in
the box. Before I had got back home he phoned me to say that he had
found the others in the warehouse and I could have one of them.
I turned the car round and went back for it before it got sold to
someone else :-)))

The quality of photo it can do is quite good, but you can't print to
glossy paper and expect a glossy photo, it will print out matt. That is
the only fault with mine. Perhaps they will develop one that can make
glossy photos soon.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

And when the OP finds some ammonia, let us know where you bought it
from. I went down this route some time ago, only to be told that it is
now a controlled substance.

ISTR it's only the clear ammonia that's restricted (it's a common
component in things that go boom), the cloudy stuff can't be used for
that I believe ?!?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
In article , Dave
writes

And when the OP finds some ammonia, let us know where you bought it
from. I went down this route some time ago, only to be told that it is
now a controlled substance.

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Househ...-500ml_923908/

Noted and saved. It was the chemist that said they couldn't supply me
with it. Until I read the post below, I wasn't even aware that there
were two types.

Many thanks to both posters.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Feb, 15:51, Dave wrote:
fred wrote:
In article , Dave
writes

And when the OP finds some ammonia, let us know where you bought it
from. I went down this route some time ago, only to be told that it is
now a controlled substance.

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Househ...-500ml_923908/

Noted and saved. It was the chemist that said they couldn't supply me
with it. Until I read the post below, I wasn't even aware that there
were two types.

Many thanks to both posters.

Dave

Yes but at the end of the day, a chemist is just another "bloke said".
I wanted some IPA to try and clean a circuit board. Went into boots
and was given this massive lecture about how it was now banned etc
etc ... went to Maplins and bought 2L of it, no questions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro" wrote in message
On 10 Feb, 15:51, Dave wrote:
fred wrote:
In article , Dave
writes

And when the OP finds some ammonia, let us know where you bought it
from. I went down this route some time ago, only to be told that it is
now a controlled substance.

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Househ...-500ml_923908/

Noted and saved. It was the chemist that said they couldn't supply me
with it. Until I read the post below, I wasn't even aware that there
were two types.

Many thanks to both posters.

Dave

Yes but at the end of the day, a chemist is just another "bloke said".
I wanted some IPA to try and clean a circuit board. Went into boots
and was given this massive lecture about how it was now banned etc
etc ... went to Maplins and bought 2L of it, no questions.

A pub or off-licence might be a better source of IPA.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_Pale_Ale

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 10, 6:47 pm, "Harry Stottle" wrote:
"Jethro" wrote in message

On 10 Feb, 15:51, Dave wrote:
fred wrote:
[...]

hopefully not for the IPA we're on about ......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro wrote:
On 10 Feb, 15:51, Dave wrote:
fred wrote:
In article , Dave
writes
And when the OP finds some ammonia, let us know where you bought it
from. I went down this route some time ago, only to be told that it is
now a controlled substance.
http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Househ...-500ml_923908/

Noted and saved. It was the chemist that said they couldn't supply me
with it. Until I read the post below, I wasn't even aware that there
were two types.

Many thanks to both posters.

Dave

Yes but at the end of the day, a chemist is just another "bloke said".
I wanted some IPA to try and clean a circuit board. Went into boots
and was given this massive lecture about how it was now banned etc
etc ... went to Maplins and bought 2L of it, no questions.

I honestly can't see why they wouldn't sell you IPA it is one of the
most benign chemicals I have ever used.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Jethro writes
On 10 Feb, 15:51, Dave wrote:
fred wrote:

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Househ...-500ml_923908/

Noted and saved. It was the chemist that said they couldn't supply me
with it. Until I read the post below, I wasn't even aware that there
were two types.

Yes but at the end of the day, a chemist is just another "bloke said".
I wanted some IPA to try and clean a circuit board. Went into boots
and was given this massive lecture about how it was now banned etc
etc ... went to Maplins and bought 2L of it, no questions.

I agree on taking reports of 'banning' from non-authoritative sources
with a pinch of salt. IME Boots are the most gratuitous bull****ters
when it comes to this sort of thing. When they say something is banned
it means that they have chosen to no longer supply it to the public for
whatever reason, it has little to do with its legal status.

As Household Ammonia is available from them I take that to mean that you
could get it virtually anywhere. One bottle I have came from a proper
ironmonger/general supplier but one came from a really surprising
source, something like a supermarket or B&Q so it does seem to be freely
available.

FWIW, the stuff I have here is '9.5% Ammonia solution' and is marketed
as a 'strong cleaner and laundry aid', it's also water clear ie not
cloudy.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Feb, 00:24, Colin Wilson wrote:
And when the OP finds some ammonia, let us know where you bought it
from. I went down this route some time ago, only to be told that it is
now a controlled substance.

ISTR it's only the clear ammonia that's restricted (it's a common
component in things that go boom), the cloudy stuff can't be used for
that I believe ?!?

It's a good idea in the current climate to keep *any* display of
knowledge of chemistry/physics to yourself.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Feb, 23:25, Dave wrote:
Jethro wrote:
On 10 Feb, 15:51, Dave wrote:
fred wrote:
[...]

It wasn't they wouldn't sell it to me. They claimed they *could*n''t
stock it, as it was "banned". The same story I got from a local
chemists too, strangely enough. I was very tempted to take my two tins
into them, and offer to supply them myself !

ATEOTD, I think it's a symptom of the changing landscape of society.
When I was growing up, and into science, all my books suggested your
"local chemist" as a source of various chemicals ... ammonia, various
crystals, formaldehyde ... and the chemist was just that.

Now they just shift boxes :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Now they just shift boxes :-(

of cosmetics

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It's a good idea in the current climate to keep *any* display of
knowledge of chemistry/physics to yourself.

I have no working knowledge of chemistry, but anyone with a library
card can get more access to "dangerous" information than they'd
ever need.

Perhaps if the government arrested anyone who walked into a public
library just on the off-chance they might be trying to make an
offensive weapon, rock cakes for example, the world would be a safer
place.

Next on the agenda: ban science and physics lessons in school, and
teach the kids nothing about the most common religion in their own
country in case it offends a minority somehow...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro wrote:

It wasn't they wouldn't sell it to me. They claimed they *could*n''t
stock it, as it was "banned". The same story I got from a local
chemists too, strangely enough. I was very tempted to take my two tins
into them, and offer to supply them myself !

ATEOTD, I think it's a symptom of the changing landscape of society.
When I was growing up, and into science, all my books suggested your
"local chemist" as a source of various chemicals ... ammonia, various
crystals, formaldehyde ... and the chemist was just that.

Now they just shift boxes :-(

I forgot to say, IPA is/was used to clean the glass on cockpit
instruments when I was working.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Jethro
saying something like:

It's a good idea in the current climate to keep *any* display of
knowledge of chemistry/physics to yourself.

Bull****.
The more Talibugger sympathisers that blow their hands off in the
preparation of backpacks the better. Ideally they'd find dangerously
incomplete articles on making their bum bombs.

OT - Inkjet printers? Harry Bloomfield[_3_] UK diy 22 August 18th 08 08:57 PM
Inkjet ink removal John UK diy 13 February 26th 07 11:42 PM
Blue colour instead of true colour in the monitor - how to fix it? chutney Electronics Repair 0 October 19th 06 03:03 AM
Opinions wanted on crt rejuvenation method Wade Segade Electronics Repair 2 September 1st 05 06:37 PM
Epson T0321 Inkjet cartridge chip resetter Electronics Repair 2 October 14th 04 07:51 AM