Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cutting 600mm porcelain tiles - how?

Two types of tile cutter I see widely used, the "table saw" type with
a diamond wheel and the tile slid through it (or the wheel slides over
the tile), - or the score-and-crack type.

Which would work best for large porcelain tiles (600mm by 600mm, about
8mm thick)?

I borrowed a friends table saw type (which is too small for these
tiles - but allowed me to at least try taking a slice off one edge) -
and it cuts them, smoothly but very slowly.

So do I need to get a hold of a larger/professional model, or is score-
and-crack better on porcelain?

I also need to do an irregularly shaped cut-out on a tile or two to
fit around a shower valve.

What is going to work well for porcelain tiles for irregular cut-outs?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:12:43 -0800 (PST)
" wrote:

Two types of tile cutter I see widely used, the "table saw" type with
a diamond wheel and the tile slid through it (or the wheel slides over
the tile), - or the score-and-crack type.

Which would work best for large porcelain tiles (600mm by 600mm, about
8mm thick)?

I borrowed a friends table saw type (which is too small for these
tiles - but allowed me to at least try taking a slice off one edge) -
and it cuts them, smoothly but very slowly.

So do I need to get a hold of a larger/professional model, or is score-
and-crack better on porcelain?

I also need to do an irregularly shaped cut-out on a tile or two to
fit around a shower valve.

What is going to work well for porcelain tiles for irregular cut-outs?

I used a table saw type for 600x300 10mm porcelain tiles, no problem, a
little ingenuity needed to support them. For big holes I used a
diamond core drill, for odd shapes an angle grinder and dry diamond
wheel.

The biggest problem with big tiles is getting a flat substrate. Floors
are best self-levelled, walls maybe marmox or another tile backer. Oh,
yes, and work from a good support, e.g. a batten or floor up, no
adhesive has the power to hold a 600x without slip.

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 10, 5:12 pm, " wrote:
Two types of tile cutter I see widely used, the "table saw" type with
a diamond wheel and the tile slid through it (or the wheel slides over
the tile), - or the score-and-crack type.

Which would work best for large porcelain tiles (600mm by 600mm, about
8mm thick)?

I borrowed a friends table saw type (which is too small for these
tiles - but allowed me to at least try taking a slice off one edge) -
and it cuts them, smoothly but very slowly.

So do I need to get a hold of a larger/professional model, or is score-
and-crack better on porcelain?

I also need to do an irregularly shaped cut-out on a tile or two to
fit around a shower valve.

What is going to work well for porcelain tiles for irregular cut-outs?

having rented a big leccy one and subsequently bought a cheapo leccy
one - if i were doing it I'd find the 30/40 quid to hire the big one -
definitely easier = less stress! cutting big tiles.

Cuts seemed "better" on the big one but that was 10mm limestone vs
ceramic floor & wall tiles on the smaller one so direct comparison
tricky......

To be frank small one is a PITA with large format tiles - yes it will
cut them but consider the agro of holding and moving the tiles - IMHO
easier on a bigger pro m/c and quicker.

Cheers
JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

" wrote:

[...]

No need or that. Use strings and a level, and thick rapid set cement.

Its no more expensive than self levelling, which doesn't, anyway.

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher
wibbled on Wednesday 10 February 2010 19:56

Its no more expensive than self levelling, which doesn't, anyway.

Er, it does if you use the right stuff and prep it correctly...

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not quite sure what you mean by 'too small'

I need to cut 600 * 600mm tiles, so when I need to halve a tile -
there needs to be 300mm between blade and fence.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I tiled a whole bathroom in very hard porcelain tiles using an Exakt saw
(purple version) and diamond blade:

http://www.fredshed.co.uk/exaktprecisionsaw.htm

(DIY version also on Amazon).

I found the best technique with straight cuts was to saw a groove about
half way through the thickness of the tile and then snap. For more
complex cuts, saw as deep as the tool will go and then nibble with pincers.

This tool is also great for laminate flooring. I've also used it to cut
down a stainless steel splashback. When cutting thin sheet metal, it
doesn't distort the edge like a jigsaw does.

There are a few downsides, but I don't believe they detract seriously
from the usefulness of this tool:

1. It's awkward making blind cuts as you can't see the blade and have to
rely on a scale on the side of the tool.

2. The max. depth of cut is limited to around 14 mm (less for the DIY
version).

3. You must use vacuum extraction (but a hose is supplied to connect to
a domestic vacuum cleaner).

Hope this helps,

Roger.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 11, 7:50 am, " wrote:
Not quite sure what you mean by 'too small'

I need to cut 600 * 600mm tiles, so when I need to halve a tile -
there needs to be 300mm between blade and fence.

fence? :))))) -

F for freehand mate - couldn;t get the cheapy set up true so the back
of the blade would splinter the cut edge as it went by right PITA -
don;t remember that being a prob with the hired one, but still did
most freehand.

Cheers
JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
JimK wrote:
On Feb 11, 7:50 am, " wrote:
Not quite sure what you mean by 'too small'

I need to cut 600 * 600mm tiles, so when I need to halve a tile -
there needs to be 300mm between blade and fence.

fence? :))))) -

F for freehand mate - couldn;t get the cheapy set up true so the back
of the blade would splinter the cut edge as it went by right PITA -
don;t remember that being a prob with the hired one, but still did
most freehand.

I must admit if I had many to do and wanted them all the same size - like
say at the top of a wall - I'd prefer a fence. My 'top of the range'
Plasplugs one has a big enough table for any I've used. Although I've not
used 600 x 600mm tiles. I'd probably hire if I needed to.

--
*Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Cutting Porcelain Floor Tiles Jeremy Goff UK diy 13 January 5th 07 11:10 PM
Source for 600mm sq tiles davao UK diy 3 February 13th 06 12:05 PM
Porcelain tiles Bilbo Baggins UK diy 8 August 23rd 04 11:01 PM
Drilling and cutting porcelain tiles? Rafal UK diy 9 November 6th 03 12:14 PM
Cutting porcelain floor tiles Steve Barnes UK diy 1 July 31st 03 01:13 PM