Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default centrifugal extractor fans

Hi,

We have a laundry room that does not have an external wall. Therefore
we bought a condensing tumble drier as this did not need venting to
the outside. I am thinking that it might be useful to fit an extractor
fan because although the air does not get very humid, it can get hot
in there. The only way to do this would be a ceiling mounted fan, with
ducting under the floorboards of the room above.

I know people here recommend using 6" ducting over 4" but I am not
sure whether I will have the space to run 6" ducting between the
joists.

I know I will need a centrifugal fan but TLC and BES both list Manrose
but IIRC Manrose are not favoured here. Are they really that bad?
Otherwise can you recommend an alternative?

What are the pros and cons of ceiling mounted versus inline fans? My
worry about inline fans is that they are more inaccessible. At least
with a ceiling fan if it goes wrong, I can see that and get to it
without lifting carpets and floorboards.

I did see somewhere (can't remember where now) a collar to fit over
the ducting, which claimed to foam and seal if the ducting caught
fire. This sounds like a good idea. Is it? (It may even be required by
regs?)

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 2, 2:36*pm, Fred wrote:
[...]

Vent it outside, you cant really believe your place wont be dust
coated in a short time, its gas it still emits Co.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 2, 8:36*pm, Fred wrote:
[...]

If its venting a room that doesnt have a damp problem and without
cooking, then your ducting only needs to handle dust, no condensation
or kitchen grease. Stapled cardboard lining the airpath between the
joists is perfectly capable of doing this, no need to form a 6" duct
even.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Feb, 00:22, ransley wrote:

Vent it outside, you cant really believe your place wont be dust
coated in a short time

I've had condensing tumble driers for 20 odd years, dust has never
been an issue.

PIR extractor fans Jeff Layman[_2_] UK diy 4 September 20th 09 10:51 AM
Extractor fans Adrian UK diy 4 December 4th 08 06:37 PM
centrifugal bathroom extractor fan with humidistat or overrun timer? benpost UK diy 3 June 10th 08 12:45 PM
Extractor fans Trevor Smith UK diy 11 May 21st 04 10:04 PM
centrifugal fans Allan Adler Metalworking 19 December 25th 03 08:50 PM