Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Measuring the TOG value of a duvet

Before xmas we bought a new (cheapo) duvet, as it was cheaper
to replace the old one than the cost of getting it cleaned.
Anyway, right out of the bag the new duvet didn't appear as good
as the old one. They were both rated at 13.5 TOF, but the new
one was obviously thinner. It wasn't as warm either (even taking
the colder weather into account) and we needed an extra blanket
on top.
Fast forward to this week and we got another cheapo duvet - this
time from Sainsburys, which again is rated at 13.5 TOG and is much
better then the last one we bought (compares well to the original
one). So purely out of interest, I'd like to test if the TOG rating
of the various duvets measures up - has anyone else tried this?

From a DIY perspective, I'm planning on measuring the temp. under
the duvet, while warming the bed with an electric blanket (and having
the room temperature more-or-less constant). The idea is that the
greater the thermal insulation, the higher the under-duvet temperature
will be. The tricky bit will e converting this temperature to a heat-
loss figure and then to a thermal resistance figure.
Any pointers on how to do the sums would be appreciated.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

pete wrote:
Before xmas we bought a new (cheapo) duvet, as it was cheaper
to replace the old one than the cost of getting it cleaned.
Anyway, right out of the bag the new duvet didn't appear as good
as the old one. They were both rated at 13.5 TOF, but the new
one was obviously thinner. It wasn't as warm either (even taking
the colder weather into account) and we needed an extra blanket
on top.
Fast forward to this week and we got another cheapo duvet - this
time from Sainsburys, which again is rated at 13.5 TOG and is much
better then the last one we bought (compares well to the original
one). So purely out of interest, I'd like to test if the TOG rating
of the various duvets measures up - has anyone else tried this?

From a DIY perspective, I'm planning on measuring the temp. under
the duvet, while warming the bed with an electric blanket (and having
the room temperature more-or-less constant). The idea is that the
greater the thermal insulation, the higher the under-duvet temperature
will be. The tricky bit will e converting this temperature to a heat-
loss figure and then to a thermal resistance figure.
Any pointers on how to do the sums would be appreciated.

Quite fancy a bit of tog testing myself
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

pete wrote:

Any pointers on how to do the sums would be appreciated.

There are two ways to do this. One is a steady state approach. Wrap a small
(very small) heater in a duvet, wait for the temperature to stabilise, and
measure the temperature drop between the inside and the outside. You need to
measure the voltage drop and amperage of the heater, as well as the surface
area. All rather difficult to do, especially making sure there are no folds
in the duvet around the heater, etc. You'll need a fan to keep the room air
circulating briskly.

Marginally easier is just to wrap a known weight of warm water in a duvet
and plot the temperature drop.

I doubt that you'll get closer than around 50% without cutting the duvet up,
which rather defeats the purpose.

--
Electric cars are very healthy - when the battery runs out you have to
walk home.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gio Gio is offline

"Gareth" wrote in message
om...

On 30/01/2010 10:57, pete wrote:
Before xmas we bought a new (cheapo) duvet, as it was cheaper
to replace the old one than the cost of getting it cleaned.
Anyway, right out of the bag the new duvet didn't appear as good
as the old one. They were both rated at 13.5 TOF, but the new
one was obviously thinner. It wasn't as warm either (even taking
the colder weather into account) and we needed an extra blanket
on top.
Fast forward to this week and we got another cheapo duvet - this
time from Sainsburys, which again is rated at 13.5 TOG and is much
better then the last one we bought (compares well to the original
one). So purely out of interest, I'd like to test if the TOG rating
of the various duvets measures up - has anyone else tried this?

snip

Any pointers on how to do the sums would be appreciated.

A relative measurement would be quite straight forward, i.e. it will be
easy to compare the two duvets you have bought and see if the
sainsbury's one is better. Doing an accurate measurement will be hard.

A tog is 0.1 m^2K/W. In other words, the thermal resistance in togs is
equal to ten times the temperature difference (in °C) between the two
surfaces of a material, when the flow of heat is equal to one watt per
square metre.

When the temperature under the duvet reaches equilibrium (stops rising)
the heat loss will be equal to the power of the electric blanket, which
I assume you know?. You can easily measure the length and width to work
out the area and you can measure the temperature difference between the
room and under the duvet. What you don't know is how much heat is being
lost through the duvet and how much through the mattress.

You could probably make measurements with one mattress, then the other
and then both and assume the heat loss through the mattress is the same
in all three cases then solve as a set of simultaneous equations to
eliminate the heat loss through the mattress, but I don't suppose you
are really that interested?

This will be quite interesting if the OP posts his findings later because it
is something we have often thought about when buying quilt. As the original
poster says there are differences in heat retention between makes offering
the same TOG rating. Alas we have just dismissed the issue in the past when
by rights I suppose we should have directed it towards Trading Standards ?

Gio

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/01/2010 12:40, Gareth wrote:

On 30/01/2010 10:57, pete wrote:
Before xmas we bought a new (cheapo) duvet, as it was cheaper

You could probably make measurements with one mattress, then the other
and then both and assume the heat loss through the mattress is the same
in all three cases then solve as a set of simultaneous equations to
eliminate the heat loss through the mattress, but I don't suppose you
are really that interested?

Sorry I meant with one mattress, one duvet, then the same mattress and
the other duvet, then the same mattress and both duvets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , pete
writes
Before xmas we bought a new (cheapo) duvet, as it was cheaper
to replace the old one than the cost of getting it cleaned.
Anyway, right out of the bag the new duvet didn't appear as good
as the old one. They were both rated at 13.5 TOF, but the new
one was obviously thinner. It wasn't as warm either (even taking
the colder weather into account) and we needed an extra blanket
on top.
Fast forward to this week and we got another cheapo duvet - this
time from Sainsburys, which again is rated at 13.5 TOG and is much
better then the last one we bought (compares well to the original
one). So purely out of interest, I'd like to test if the TOG rating
of the various duvets measures up - has anyone else tried this?

From a DIY perspective, I'm planning on measuring the temp. under
the duvet, while warming the bed with an electric blanket (and having
the room temperature more-or-less constant). The idea is that the
greater the thermal insulation, the higher the under-duvet temperature
will be. The tricky bit will e converting this temperature to a heat-
loss figure and then to a thermal resistance figure.
Any pointers on how to do the sums would be appreciated.

See which the cat prefers

or .. get a life

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Owain writes
On 30 Jan, 19:30, geoff wrote:
See which the cat prefers

Would the cat prefer the warmer duvet for better self-insulation, or
the cooler duvet because it lets out more human heat?

Have you ever met a cat which prefers "cold" ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"pete" wrote in message
Before xmas we bought a new (cheapo) duvet, as it was cheaper
to replace the old one than the cost of getting it cleaned.
Anyway, right out of the bag the new duvet didn't appear as good
as the old one. They were both rated at 13.5 TOF, but the new
one was obviously thinner. It wasn't as warm either (even taking
the colder weather into account) and we needed an extra blanket
on top.
Fast forward to this week and we got another cheapo duvet - this
time from Sainsburys, which again is rated at 13.5 TOG and is much
better then the last one we bought (compares well to the original
one). So purely out of interest, I'd like to test if the TOG rating
of the various duvets measures up - has anyone else tried this?

From a DIY perspective, I'm planning on measuring the temp. under
the duvet, while warming the bed with an electric blanket (and having
the room temperature more-or-less constant). The idea is that the
greater the thermal insulation, the higher the under-duvet temperature
will be. The tricky bit will e converting this temperature to a heat-
loss figure and then to a thermal resistance figure.
Any pointers on how to do the sums would be appreciated.

A way I'd suggest is similar to Gareth's but I think should be more accurate
and should give a direct comparison.

Use an electric blanket on a mattress with the two duvets on top of each
other. It might be an idea to use a third thin duvet or blanket on top to
trap the top temperature probe. Use 3 temperature probes, one on the
electric blanket - 1st duvet interface, second in between the two duvets,
and a third on top the top duvet. You'd have to zero, or correct the
probes, but the temperature across each duvet should be in proportion to the
TOG number. It would be prudent to swap the duvets round and average the
results.

Good luck!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 13:15:22 -0000, Gio wrote:

"Gareth" wrote in message
om...

On 30/01/2010 10:57, pete wrote:
[...]

Well, that was an education. Here are the numbers. First for the temperature
between the duvet and the electric blanket, which was under a sheet:

Old duvet, no duvet cover. Reached equilibrium after 90 minutes at 38.5°C
with cover 49.0
New duvet uncovered 51°C
with cover 56.5

measurements taken in roughly the centre of the electric blanket, with
minimal disturbance, sticking my arm in to take the measurements :-)

The outer surface temp of the old duvet was 23.5°C uncovered,
24.5 covered
For the new duvet uncovered 23.5°C
with duvet cover 22.0

measurements taken with one of the £7 eBay non-contact thermometers from
earlier discussions. (BTW, I bought 2, they both read the same values)

So the big thing is delta-T, which comes out at 15, 24.5, 27.5, 34.5
respectively. The room temperature varied between 18 and 19 degrees during
this time. I'm ignoring this as I reckon it's compensated for by the
measurements of the duvet's outside cover measurements.
I'm also assuming that the transmissivity of the white duvet surface and the
darker duvet cover (for the IR thermometer to make accurate measureemnts) is
roughly constant, too.

The electric blanket measured 125 x 116 cm (1.46m²) and I measured it's
power consumption at 61 Watts. So I'm using a figure of 41.8 Watt/m²
Using the formula from Wiki of TOGS = 10 * delta-T / Watts/m² results in
a TOG rating for the old duvet (sold as 13.5TOG) of 3.6 without a cover
and 5.9 when it's inside a duvet cover. The new one measures at 6.6 and
8.3 respectively.

Now although these numbers appear grossly low, I expect that a lot of the
heat from the electric blanket was dissipated in the matress, so I'm willing
to allow an uncertainty of +100% on that basis - which puts the new duvet
in the right sort of value. However the old one is nowhere near it's advertised
value.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 22:22:52 -0000, "Fredxx" wrote:

"pete" wrote in message
Before xmas we bought a new (cheapo) duvet, as it was cheaper
to replace the old one than the cost of getting it cleaned.
Anyway, right out of the bag the new duvet didn't appear as good
as the old one. They were both rated at 13.5 TOF, but the new
one was obviously thinner. It wasn't as warm either (even taking
the colder weather into account) and we needed an extra blanket
on top.
Fast forward to this week and we got another cheapo duvet - this
time from Sainsburys, which again is rated at 13.5 TOG and is much
better then the last one we bought (compares well to the original
one). So purely out of interest, I'd like to test if the TOG rating
of the various duvets measures up - has anyone else tried this?

From a DIY perspective, I'm planning on measuring the temp. under
[...]

Could it be done with one of those remote thermometers mentioned in
here a few days ago. .a Fiver on Ebay ....could you put the duvet(s)
in turn on top of the mattress with the electric blanket on and point
the thermometer at the duvet(s) and see what the difference in temp
was for each one .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 10:57:11 GMT, pete wrote:

Before xmas we bought a new (cheapo) duvet, as it was cheaper
to replace the old one than the cost of getting it cleaned.
Anyway, right out of the bag the new duvet didn't appear as good
as the old one. They were both rated at 13.5 TOF, but the new
one was obviously thinner. It wasn't as warm either (even taking
the colder weather into account) and we needed an extra blanket
on top.
Fast forward to this week and we got another cheapo duvet - this
time from Sainsburys, which again is rated at 13.5 TOG and is much
better then the last one we bought (compares well to the original
one). So purely out of interest, I'd like to test if the TOG rating
of the various duvets measures up - has anyone else tried this?

From a DIY perspective, I'm planning on measuring the temp. under
the duvet, while warming the bed with an electric blanket (and having
the room temperature more-or-less constant). The idea is that the
greater the thermal insulation, the higher the under-duvet temperature
will be. The tricky bit will e converting this temperature to a heat-
loss figure and then to a thermal resistance figure.
Any pointers on how to do the sums would be appreciated.

As a bit of an aside, I've a 4.5 TOG that's better than a cheap 9 TOG - the
major difference seems to be that the 4 TOG is Hollofill fibre.

I recently bought a 7.5+3.5 TOG combo from Ikea and paid the bit extra for
Hollofill. The 7.5 part is lighter than my old 4.5 and just a bit warmer
(about 15 years between purchases, to 'newer' material?).
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeterC" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 10:57:11 GMT, pete wrote:

Before xmas we bought a new (cheapo) duvet, as it was cheaper
to replace the old one than the cost of getting it cleaned.
Anyway, right out of the bag the new duvet didn't appear as good
as the old one. They were both rated at 13.5 TOF, but the new
one was obviously thinner. It wasn't as warm either (even taking
the colder weather into account) and we needed an extra blanket
on top.
Fast forward to this week and we got another cheapo duvet - this
time from Sainsburys, which again is rated at 13.5 TOG and is much
better then the last one we bought (compares well to the original
one). So purely out of interest, I'd like to test if the TOG rating
of the various duvets measures up - has anyone else tried this?

From a DIY perspective, I'm planning on measuring the temp. under
the duvet, while warming the bed with an electric blanket (and having
the room temperature more-or-less constant). The idea is that the
greater the thermal insulation, the higher the under-duvet temperature
will be. The tricky bit will e converting this temperature to a heat-
loss figure and then to a thermal resistance figure.
Any pointers on how to do the sums would be appreciated.

As a bit of an aside, I've a 4.5 TOG that's better than a cheap 9 TOG -
the
major difference seems to be that the 4 TOG is Hollofill fibre.

I recently bought a 7.5+3.5 TOG combo from Ikea and paid the bit extra for
Hollofill. The 7.5 part is lighter than my old 4.5 and just a bit warmer
(about 15 years between purchases, to 'newer' material?).
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.

Do you think the weight and flexibility of the duvet has an effect? If it
moulds itself to your sleeping form it may give the impression of being
warmer than one which leaves gaps down your sides.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 04:58:55 -0800 (PST), Owain
wrote:

On 30 Jan, 21:43, geoff wrote:
Would the cat prefer the warmer duvet for better self-insulation, or
the cooler duvet because it lets out more human heat?

Have you ever met a cat which prefers "cold" ?

No, but which is warmer - wrapping yourself in a blanket or sitting on
top of a radiator? And most cats don't like being *under* duvets.

But that last bit is probably instinct for self preservation so they
don't feel trapped and can make a swift getaway .I had a cat that used
to burrow under a duvet but only when I was in the bed so presumably
it felt safe enough in that situation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Owain writes
On 30 Jan, 21:43, geoff wrote:
Would the cat prefer the warmer duvet for better self-insulation, or
the cooler duvet because it lets out more human heat?

Have you ever met a cat which prefers "cold" ?

No, but which is warmer - wrapping yourself in a blanket or sitting on
top of a radiator? And most cats don't like being *under* duvets.

I thought you were putting the duvet on top of an electric blanket

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 30 Jan, 21:43, geoff wrote:
Would the cat prefer the warmer duvet for better self-insulation, or
the cooler duvet because it lets out more human heat?
Have you ever met a cat which prefers "cold" ?

No, but which is warmer - wrapping yourself in a blanket or sitting on
top of a radiator? And most cats don't like being *under* duvets.

But that last bit is probably instinct for self preservation so they
don't feel trapped and can make a swift getaway .I had a cat that used
to burrow under a duvet but only when I was in the bed so presumably
it felt safe enough in that situation.

Strange animals are cats. A bit like women ;-)

I've got me coat and I'm off.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 12:11:36 -0000, John wrote:

As a bit of an aside, I've a 4.5 TOG that's better than a cheap 9 TOG -
the
major difference seems to be that the 4 TOG is Hollofill fibre.

I recently bought a 7.5+3.5 TOG combo from Ikea and paid the bit extra for
Hollofill. The 7.5 part is lighter than my old 4.5 and just a bit warmer
(about 15 years between purchases, to 'newer' material?).
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.

Do you think the weight and flexibility of the duvet has an effect? If it
moulds itself to your sleeping form it may give the impression of being
warmer than one which leaves gaps down your sides.

Yes. I have a top sheet (saves on washing a bit) and have to pull in the
bedding (room temperature at ~14C) but did try just the duvet with cover
and it didn't have the cold edges.
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"pete" wrote in message
Before xmas we bought a new (cheapo) duvet, as it was cheaper
to replace the old one than the cost of getting it cleaned.
Anyway, right out of the bag the new duvet didn't appear as good
as the old one. They were both rated at 13.5 TOF, but the new
one was obviously thinner. It wasn't as warm either (even taking
the colder weather into account) and we needed an extra blanket
on top.
Fast forward to this week and we got another cheapo duvet - this
time from Sainsburys, which again is rated at 13.5 TOG and is much
better then the last one we bought (compares well to the original
one). So purely out of interest, I'd like to test if the TOG rating
of the various duvets measures up - has anyone else tried this?

From a DIY perspective, I'm planning on measuring the temp. under
[...]

We used to have three different tog value quilts and when we were
heading into winter, would change to a heavier one depending on if Betty
swollocks left the bed and lightened them in the same way when the
weather warmed up in the spring.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
"PeterC" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 10:57:11 GMT, pete wrote:

Before xmas we bought a new (cheapo) duvet, as it was cheaper
to replace the old one than the cost of getting it cleaned.
Anyway, right out of the bag the new duvet didn't appear as good
as the old one. They were both rated at 13.5 TOF, but the new
one was obviously thinner. It wasn't as warm either (even taking
the colder weather into account) and we needed an extra blanket
on top.
Fast forward to this week and we got another cheapo duvet - this
time from Sainsburys, which again is rated at 13.5 TOG and is much
better then the last one we bought (compares well to the original
one). So purely out of interest, I'd like to test if the TOG rating
of the various duvets measures up - has anyone else tried this?

From a DIY perspective, I'm planning on measuring the temp. under
[...]

It makes a tremendous difference. Wife can make a tunnel between us
under the quilt and drag in very cold air when she changes position in
bed. I get round this by hiking up my side of the quilt and dropping it
down between us. When I run out of quilt on my side, I drag some over
from her side and start again.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 16:55:58 +0000, Dave
wrote:

Strange animals are cats.

I've got a strange animal, but it's a dog...

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Strange animals are cats.

I've got a strange animal, but it's a dog...

I can quite happily live with dogs, if my wife could. She hates them,
but I have had a dog around me until I married at the age of 25. And a
few months later, when my father had to go into hospital and left his
dog with us.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Jan, 17:06, Dave wrote:
John wrote:
"PeterC" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 10:57:11 GMT, pete wrote:

Before xmas we bought a new (cheapo) duvet, as it was cheaper
to replace the old one than the cost of getting it cleaned.
Anyway, right out of the bag the new duvet didn't appear as good
as the old one. They were both rated at 13.5 TOF, but the new
one was obviously thinner. It wasn't as warm either (even taking
the colder weather into account) and we needed an extra blanket
on top.
Fast forward to this week and we got another cheapo duvet - this
time from Sainsburys, which again is rated at 13.5 TOG and is much
better then the last one we bought (compares well to the original
one). So purely out of interest, I'd like to test if the TOG rating
of the various duvets measures up - has anyone else tried this?

From a DIY perspective, I'm planning on measuring the temp. under
[...]

Thus provoking shrieks of outrage as you drag cold bits of duvet over
her...

--
Halmyre
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message
, Owain
writes
On 30 Jan, 19:30, geoff wrote:
See which the cat prefers

Would the cat prefer the warmer duvet for better self-insulation, or
the cooler duvet because it lets out more human heat?

Have you ever met a cat which prefers "cold" ?

--
geoff

Maybe
I fostered a cat for a few months that was resued from a house where the
owners had done a runner and left the cat home alone. The thing was
petrified of soft things such as cushions, duvets, setees etc. It used to
sleep on my bedside cabinet at night.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Dave
saying something like:

It makes a tremendous difference. Wife can make a tunnel between us
under the quilt and drag in very cold air when she changes position in
bed. I get round this by hiking up my side of the quilt and dropping it
down between us. When I run out of quilt on my side, I drag some over
from her side and start again.

A case for an extra-wide duvet, methinks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 12:14:01 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember Dave
saying something like:

It makes a tremendous difference. Wife can make a tunnel between us
under the quilt and drag in very cold air when she changes position in
bed. I get round this by hiking up my side of the quilt and dropping it
down between us. When I run out of quilt on my side, I drag some over
from her side and start again.

A case for an extra-wide duvet, methinks.

Or seperate beds ;-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 02/02/2010 12:25, Huge wrote:

Separate duvets, certainly, which is the solution we adopted years ago
due to my wife's habit of rolling the duvet round herself and leaving me
out in the cold.

Agreed. And very nice for both of us. (After experience of exactly that
in a hotel in Riga where it seemed to work very well.) But the
difference between down and polyester (of whatever type) is also huge.
Down duvets drape so much better and, somehow, seem to work well across
a much wider range of bedroom temperatures.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod :
But the difference between down and polyester (of whatever type) is
also huge. Down duvets drape so much better and, somehow, seem to work
well across a much wider range of bedroom temperatures.

We have a silk-filled duvet, which, although not cheap, seems to combine
the best properties of down and polyester.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 02/02/2010 23:03, Mike Barnes wrote:
:
But the difference between down and polyester (of whatever type) is
also huge. Down duvets drape so much better and, somehow, seem to work
well across a much wider range of bedroom temperatures.

We have a silk-filled duvet, which, although not cheap, seems to combine
the best properties of down and polyester.

Agreed. Got a lightweight one of those as well - summer choice.

Bought from China (ebay, I think) - partner used 'make an offer' and got
them at a very much lower price than UK retail - around £40 including
postage for a single.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

A case for an extra-wide duvet, methinks.

Much better to have an endless duvet that wraps around the bottom of the bed?

Thomas Prufer

Precision Measuring Jay Pique Woodworking 8 July 26th 07 07:21 AM
measuring stuff Eigenvector Home Repair 29 July 11th 06 01:25 AM
measuring for new windows? tarquinlinbin UK diy 13 April 9th 05 12:21 PM
Measuring for Windows SidKnee UK diy 1 April 6th 05 10:45 AM
Measuring Carpets andrewpreece UK diy 7 January 7th 05 11:38 PM