waterproofing to prevent small leaks in corrugated roof sheets

Old January 23rd 10, 10:34 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default waterproofing to prevent small leaks in corrugated roof sheets

Hi All
we have a garage of the common concrete slabs + corrugated 'concretised'
roof sheets construction. A year or so after the garage was installed, a few
of the roof sheets developed small cracks, resulting in rain dripping in. I
got these replaced under warranty.

In the middle of a downpour yesterday evening I spotted another leak. The
garage is probably (just) still under warranty, but I'm wondering about
alternatives to replacing the sheets. There only appear to be very tiny
cracks in the sheets and I wondered whether there was any waterproofing
compound I could apply to impregnate the particular areas, bind the sheet
material together an stop the leaks.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
J^n

Old January 23rd 10, 02:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Wickes High Performance Acrylic Waterproofer
http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/240148

It works very well (not just by reviews there). The only thing is
whether it is UV proof if you used on the sunshine side - rather than
underneath.

Frankly it sounds like the panels are defective so out of warranty or
not I would investigate further (are there sufficient supports as
specified by the corrugated panel manufacturer).
Old January 23rd 10, 02:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 10:34:46 +0000, The Night Tripper
wrote:

Hi All
we have a garage of the common concrete slabs + corrugated 'concretised'
roof sheets construction. A year or so after the garage was installed, a few
of the roof sheets developed small cracks, resulting in rain dripping in. I
got these replaced under warranty.

In the middle of a downpour yesterday evening I spotted another leak. The
garage is probably (just) still under warranty, but I'm wondering about
alternatives to replacing the sheets. There only appear to be very tiny
cracks in the sheets and I wondered whether there was any waterproofing
compound I could apply to impregnate the particular areas, bind the sheet
material together an stop the leaks.

Any suggestions?

The roof is quite clearly not fit for purpose. A garage roof should
remain competent and leak free for at least 15 years with minimal
maintenance. The fault may lie in the design, specification or
workmanship.

Rather than bodge it yourself, you have every right to expect it to be
replaced with a roof that *is* fit for purpose. I would consult a
solicitor with a view to the solicitor writing a letter to the company
demanding a replacement roof that does the job.

The alternative is to bodge it and land yourself with an expensive
ongoing maintenance obligation for years to come. At some point in
the future it will need replacing anyway. This will be an expensive
undertaking, so better to get the company to do it for you now at
their cost.

Old January 23rd 10, 04:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi All
we have a garage of the common concrete slabs + corrugated 'concretised'
roof sheets construction. A year or so after the garage was installed, a few
of the roof sheets developed small cracks, resulting in rain dripping in. I
got these replaced under warranty.

In the middle of a downpour yesterday evening I spotted another leak. The
garage is probably (just) still under warranty, but I'm wondering about
alternatives to replacing the sheets. There only appear to be very tiny
cracks in the sheets and I wondered whether there was any waterproofing
compound I could apply to impregnate the particular areas, bind the sheet
material together an stop the leaks.

Any suggestions?

I've used decorators caulkk to seal the frame of a window in the motorhome.

any acrylic frame sealer is good..when wet, a wet cloth wipes off
surplus, when dry it seems to be waterproof.So makes a neat job.

Thanks
J^n

Old January 23rd 10, 05:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 23, 10:34*am, The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi All
* * * * we have a garage of the common concrete slabs + corrugated 'concretised'
roof sheets construction. A year or so after the garage was installed, a few
of the roof sheets developed small cracks, resulting in rain dripping in. I
got these replaced under warranty.

In the middle of a downpour yesterday evening I spotted another leak. The
garage is probably (just) still under warranty, but I'm wondering about
alternatives to replacing the sheets. There only appear to be very tiny
cracks in the sheets and I wondered whether there was any waterproofing
compound I could apply to impregnate the particular areas, bind the sheet
material together an stop the leaks.

Any suggestions?

* * Thanks
* * J^n

If you decide to work on the sheets, dont trust them for support.
Always work off a wide board or plank.
Old January 23rd 10, 05:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 10:34:46 +0000, The Night Tripper wrote:

Hi All
we have a garage of the common concrete slabs + corrugated 'concretised'
roof sheets construction. A year or so after the garage was installed, a few
of the roof sheets developed small cracks, resulting in rain dripping in. I
got these replaced under warranty.

In the middle of a downpour yesterday evening I spotted another leak. The
garage is probably (just) still under warranty, but I'm wondering about
alternatives to replacing the sheets. There only appear to be very tiny
cracks in the sheets and I wondered whether there was any waterproofing
compound I could apply to impregnate the particular areas, bind the sheet
material together an stop the leaks.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
J^n

I'd speak to the suppliers again for now.

If a number of years down the line you have a repeat problem, then I found
that good old fashioned car underseal worked well on a number of cracks in
my parents' garage.

SteveW