Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas fire

About 18 months after being installed my Mums gas fire started to give out
very little heat. I'm guessing this was a gradual thing. Eventually the
entire innards were replaced which cured the problem. One of the fellas that
looked at it said that lead pipes can corrode internally and this can move
up to the burners and block them. If this is the case then my Mum can
presumably expect to be having the same problem in another 18 months.
Is it possible that the 'lead pipes corroding' diagnosis might be correct?

Regards

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Jan, 22:37, "Periproct" wrote:
About 18 months after being installed my Mums gas fire started to give out
very little heat. I'm guessing this was a gradual thing. Eventually the
entire innards were replaced which cured the problem. One of the fellas that
looked at it said that lead pipes can corrode internally and this can move
up to the burners and block them. If this is the case then my Mum can
presumably expect to be having the same problem in another 18 months.
Is it possible that the 'lead pipes corroding' diagnosis might be correct?

Regards

Possible but rare. I have also had problems with internal dust on a
large commercial supply piped entirely in yellow plastic outside to
the meter and steel within the building. Obviously no lead pipe
involved on that job.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"cynic" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that none of the other fires in the
house have been affected but they are all a lot older. Maybe bigger jets.
Just guessing.
I reckon we'll wait and see what happens rather than getting an old Mum all
stressed with renewing the pipe run.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Periproct" writes:
About 18 months after being installed my Mums gas fire started to give
out
very little heat. I'm guessing this was a gradual thing. Eventually the
entire innards were replaced which cured the problem. One of the fellas
that
looked at it said that lead pipes can corrode internally and this can
move
up to the burners and block them. If this is the case then my Mum can
presumably expect to be having the same problem in another 18 months.
Is it possible that the 'lead pipes corroding' diagnosis might be
correct?

Sounds like bull**** to me, because the fitter either didn't have a
clue what was wrong, or was covering up for a mistake which caused
the fault.

Thanks for the response. IMHO the original fitters were a bunch of clowns.
Managed to leave a part out causing the paint to burn off the front panel.
The corroded lead pipe theory came from the last of a string of Corgi
registered gas men before the whole works were replaced.