Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Changing element on heated towel rail

Howdy

The heated towlel in our bathroom has gradually been getting less
effective, and now gives out little heat at all.

It's electric, and I'm guessing it's an oil filled one, and the
element's kanckered.

So I'm thinking replacing the element is a bit easier and cheaper than
replacing the radiator.

Problem is I can't work out how to get a look at the element, and how
you get at it without oil coming out. And my very low level diy skills
have a track record of me thinks typically making things worse..

The power goes in bottom left, with a white plastic housing flush with
the radiator, which clearly is the bottom of the element. Top left,
top right and bottom right all have nuts.

Should it be taken off the wall and inverted? Then what?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember MW saying
something like:

Problem is I can't work out how to get a look at the element, and how
you get at it without oil coming out. And my very low level diy skills
have a track record of me thinks typically making things worse..

The ones I've seen are like a mini immersion heater and simply screw in.
There may be other types that I haven't come across, of course.
Obviously you'd have to dismount it from the wall and have the element
end at the top of the rail as you hold it, so the oil stays in.

Heated Towel Rail billy1 UK diy 3 June 10th 07 05:28 PM
Heated towel rail Totally clueless UK diy 22 May 31st 07 11:01 PM
Bleeding heated towel rail Bob Minchin UK diy 3 April 19th 06 01:50 AM
Heated towel rail valves? Mike Halmarack UK diy 0 April 13th 06 09:23 AM
Electriclall heated towel rail insert thingy. Pet UK diy 7 October 1st 04 09:58 PM