Squeaky chipboard floors

Old January 13th 10, 09:24 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Squeaky chipboard floors

I have chipboard floors across the upstairs of my house - with the chipboard
screwed into the joists.

These are pretty squeaky and, given we're likely to be soon replacing the
dodgy old thread-bare carpets with decent ones I figure I should fix the
squeaking now before the new carpets go down.

Does anyone know the cause and the fix for this squeaking? Is it simply a
matter of lifting the boards and re-screwing them down firmly, or is
something more involved recommended?

TIA,
Piers

Old January 13th 10, 10:28 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Piers Finlayson" wrote in message
I have chipboard floors across the upstairs of my house - with the
chipboard
screwed into the joists.

These are pretty squeaky and, given we're likely to be soon replacing the
dodgy old thread-bare carpets with decent ones I figure I should fix the
squeaking now before the new carpets go down.

Does anyone know the cause and the fix for this squeaking? Is it simply a
matter of lifting the boards and re-screwing them down firmly, or is
something more involved recommended?

TIA,
Piers

You won't be able to lift the chipboard floor without breaking the tongue /
groove joint. I would just put extra screws around the floor.
I had a section which would not stop squeaking no matter how many screws I
inserted. It was a section of board which ran under a stud wall. I cut out
about a foot square of the board, glued and screwed a noggin brace between
the floor joists then glued and screwed the cut board back in place -
obviously had to fit more timber onto the existing boards to support the cut
piece.

I also raked out the tongue and groove joint with an old screwdriver,
creating a small channel (about 2mm). I then put wood glue in the groove
and brushed in the crap I raked out. Seems to have stopped some squeaks in
certain areas.

Old January 13th 10, 01:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 13, 10:28*am, "slider" wrote:
[...]

Squeaking is due to bending and differential movement, with one piece
sliding over another under force. Take up the entire floor, that can
be done without breaking things, and either stiffen up the joist
structure, use thicker chip if its 12mm, or glue the chip back down to
make a stressed box structure.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...n_a_Wood_Floor

NT
Old January 13th 10, 04:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Piers Finlayson" wrote in message
I have chipboard floors across the upstairs of my house - with the
chipboard
screwed into the joists.

These are pretty squeaky and, given we're likely to be soon replacing the
dodgy old thread-bare carpets with decent ones I figure I should fix the
squeaking now before the new carpets go down.

Does anyone know the cause and the fix for this squeaking? Is it simply a
matter of lifting the boards and re-screwing them down firmly, or is
something more involved recommended?

How about dusting talc down the T&G joints?

Old January 13th 10, 06:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/01/2010 10:28, slider wrote:
"Piers wrote in message
I have chipboard floors across the upstairs of my house - with the
chipboard
screwed into the joists.

These are pretty squeaky and, given we're likely to be soon replacing the
dodgy old thread-bare carpets with decent ones I figure I should fix the
squeaking now before the new carpets go down.

Does anyone know the cause and the fix for this squeaking? Is it simply a
matter of lifting the boards and re-screwing them down firmly, or is
something more involved recommended?

TIA,
Piers

You won't be able to lift the chipboard floor without breaking the tongue /
groove joint.

As a matter of interest, why is this? Or are the skirting boards added
after the floor is put down?

What about putting some heavy duty polthene sheet along each joist, so
that you stop it being chipboard rubbing against wood.

Personally I find such squeaking to be highly irritating and would love
to know a foolproof way of fixing it.

--
Tim

"That excessive bail ought not to be required, nor excessive fines
imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted"

Bill of Rights 1689
Old January 13th 10, 06:29 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

As a matter of interest, why is this? Or are the skirting boards added
after the floor is put down?

In our first house the upstairs walls were added after the floor was put
down. I was kind of surprised when I spilt some turps in one room, and
it ran under the wall into the carpet in the next one!

Andy
Old January 13th 10, 11:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Piers Finlayson explained :
I have chipboard floors across the upstairs of my house - with the chipboard
screwed into the joists.

These are pretty squeaky and, given we're likely to be soon replacing the
dodgy old thread-bare carpets with decent ones I figure I should fix the
squeaking now before the new carpets go down.

Does anyone know the cause and the fix for this squeaking? Is it simply a
matter of lifting the boards and re-screwing them down firmly, or is
something more involved recommended?

TIA,
Piers

Put extra screws in where it might help - but run a vacuum along all of
the joints and trickle/brush talc in.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Chipboard floors Slider UK diy 11 December 1st 08 06:42 PM
Saw for chipboard floors etc.? oh UK diy 28 April 7th 08 10:15 PM
Squeaky floors with no access [email protected] Home Repair 5 March 19th 07 03:43 AM
Squeaky floors c_shah Home Repair 4 March 15th 06 08:23 PM
Squeaky floors Jon Home Repair 3 February 10th 06 06:47 PM