DIYbanter

DIYbanter (http://www.diybanter.com/)
-   UK diy (http://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/)
-   -   Double glazing - two misted windows (http://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/296-double-glazing-two-misted-windows.html)

jacob July 16th 03 08:37 AM

Double glazing - two misted windows

Some reasons the outside seal might break a

Not so much why they 'might' break more why they 'will' break - they're all doomed!
Double glazing is highly obsolescent and not very cost effective, if at all.

cheers

Jacob

Andrew Gabriel July 16th 03 10:42 AM

Double glazing - two misted windows

In article ,
(jacob) writes:
Some reasons the outside seal might break a

Not so much why they 'might' break more why they 'will' break - they're all doomed!
Double glazing is highly obsolescent and not very cost effective, if at all.

The first double glazing in my house had only a single failed unit
after some 25 years, and I think that was because a potential
burglar tried to lever it out at some point (and failed). These
frames had a waterproof seal between the outer glass surface and
the frame, which stops water getting to the glass unit seal.

Modern frames have a rubber strip which stops water pouring into
the frame, but doesn't even attempt to be fully waterproof, so
the glass units often sit in a puddle inside the frame, depending
how well constructed the frame drainage is.

I certainly wouldn't argue with it not being cost effective --
just about any other energy conservation method has a shorter
payback period, and usually very much shorter.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Nozza July 16th 03 12:15 PM

Double glazing - two misted windows

Thanks for all the responses here - muchly appreciated. I contacted a
few double glazing repair firms and had a chat with them and have
someone coming around to measure for replacement units.

The company was up front with all costs, (including the need for
toughened glass for windows under 800mm from floor level - they'll
measure that to confirm - but I don't think I need it)

Cost of "repair" i.e. replacement units for two windows about 100cm
tall and 45 cm wide including fitting and VAT about 115 (depends on
exact measurements).

Noz
--
Remove the obvious spam trap when replying by email

Andrew McKay July 16th 03 03:03 PM

Double glazing - two misted windows

On 16 Jul 2003 10:39:28 GMT, (Huge) wrote:

I assume you're all talking about secondary units in new uPVC frames.
How does DIY secondary glazing fare?

Not well. You get condensation between the panes. I had secondary
double glazing some years back and I'd never want to go back.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at
http://www.handymac.co.uk

chris French July 17th 03 10:07 PM

Double glazing - two misted windows

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
(jacob) writes:
Some reasons the outside seal might break a

Not so much why they 'might' break more why they 'will' break -
they're all doomed!
Double glazing is highly obsolescent and not very cost effective, if at all.

The first double glazing in my house had only a single failed unit
after some 25 years, and I think that was because a potential
burglar tried to lever it out at some point (and failed).

We have some DG hardwood patio doors/windows. I'm not sure of the age
but at least 20 years old, quite possibly more. We do now have a couple
of failed units, but I don't feel the age they ahev lasted is that bad.
Esp. as I don't think the design of the frames is that good (the DG
units are not bedded into very much sealant, or in drained frames unlike
more modern windows tend to be.

I certainly wouldn't argue with it not being cost effective --
just about any other energy conservation method has a shorter
payback period, and usually very much shorter.

Indeed, replacing windows just to get DG doesn't make sense, but there
are good reasons for replacing single glazed windows with DG if the
windows need replacing anyway.

No significant condensation, and much more comfortable rooms are two
benefits we had from replacing the old single glazed bay windows with DG
ones last year.
--
Chris French, Leeds

Nozza July 29th 03 12:30 PM

Double glazing - two misted windows

Used a local independent glazier who installed two new sealed units.

Total cost 90 including fitting.

Thanks again for all the advice

Noz

J C 1947 November 2nd 12 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Avery (Post 2504)
Nozza wrote:

Hello Nozza

N| Our house was built seven years ago. The house came with
N| UPVC double glazing installed.
N| Both south facing bedrooms have a double glazed unit
N| consisting of two opening windows on either side of a
N| central, non opening, window. In both rooms, one of the
N| opening windows looks as though there is condensation
N| inside.

Units have failed. There is no onsite way of repairing them, anyone
who says different is a bodger.

N| What are the "Window Doctor" type services like?

Sometimes just a salesman, sometimes a genuine guy.

N| be able to fix this sort of thing? I presume both windows
N| are "sealed units"? How much would such a service cost? What
N| are peoples views of this sort of thing? Is it something I
N| could *easily* fix myself?

You need to have the units replaced, sorry. Hopefully they're stock
sizes (common in modern houses) and it's an off-the-shelf replacement.

Either installation or manufacture could have caused the premature
failure, btw, maybe you have some sort of warrantee with your house
that may include this? Maybe your insurance does?

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ:

There is a technique for demisting providing the inside of the glass has not been stained. The method is to drill two small holes at oppposite ends of the diagonal, then a moisture absorbent fluid such as methanol is pumped through and after drying to fit a small valve in each of the holes to let the unit breath. Mr Demister is a company in Dorset that offer this service at 40 per window. Just tried it on one window waiting to see what happens.