Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Finding the source of draughts

How do people go about this? There are the obvious windows and doors,
and maybe floorboards, but what about tracking down the others?

I remember watching a "This Old House" once where the contractor
pressurised the house with a fan - sealed over the front door frame -
and then, with the increased pressure driving the airflow, set off a
smoke generator and watched where the smoke went.

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheOldFellow
wibbled on Monday 28 December 2009 07:06

How do people go about this? There are the obvious windows and doors,
and maybe floorboards, but what about tracking down the others?

I remember watching a "This Old House" once where the contractor
pressurised the house with a fan - sealed over the front door frame -
and then, with the increased pressure driving the airflow, set off a
smoke generator and watched where the smoke went.

R.

Candle flame is the classic way. The flame being very sensitive to air
movements you cannot possibly feel.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 07:06:46 +0000, TheOldFellow
wrote:

How do people go about this? There are the obvious windows and doors,
and maybe floorboards, but what about tracking down the others?

I remember watching a "This Old House" once where the contractor
pressurised the house with a fan - sealed over the front door frame -
and then, with the increased pressure driving the airflow, set off a
smoke generator and watched where the smoke went.

R.

And wait for the sound of fire engines coming up the street ..:-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 09:59:31 +0000, Usenet Nutter
wrote:

And wait for the sound of fire engines coming up the street ..:-)

More useless advice excellent.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
TheOldFellow wrote:

How do people go about this?

No good for general tracking, but I use a joss stick around doors and
windows which I want to seal better. Not entirely satisfactory, but more
practical than a candle, I've found.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John L wrote:
In article ,
TheOldFellow wrote:

How do people go about this?

No good for general tracking, but I use a joss stick around doors and
windows which I want to seal better. Not entirely satisfactory, but more
practical than a candle, I've found.

John

thats what i told the cops
but they still confiscated my pipe mix the rotters..

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 28, 1:06*am, TheOldFellow wrote:
How do people go about this? There are the obvious windows and doors,
and *maybe floorboards, but what about tracking down the others?

I remember watching a "This Old House" once where the contractor
pressurised the house with a fan - sealed over the front door frame -
and then, with the increased pressure driving the airflow, set off a
smoke generator and watched where the smoke went.

R.

A pro Blower Door Test is best. The guy doing mine had a good unit
that measured air exchanges per day and what they should be. You can
use a fan in a window but a pro test is not expensive.

Draughts and bills Doki UK diy 7 March 22nd 08 01:12 PM
Finding draughts. Chris Bacon UK diy 16 November 25th 05 05:33 PM
Finding and Elliminating source of odor 1_Patriotic_Guy Home Repair 5 November 15th 05 07:53 PM
Fireplace & draughts [email protected] UK diy 7 August 14th 05 12:55 AM
Draughts Darren UK diy 11 March 13th 04 04:42 PM