Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default help with sony camera attachment

I mentioned to a drinking companion that I am transferring all my videos
to DVD and he has asked to to transfer some video from video 8 cassette,
that was taken in 1985, of his grand daughters. He has got the camera
from his son, who gave it to me, but I have run into a problem with the
RF adaptor that plugs into the camera that has the output for the video
signal. His son can't find it.

Camera is a Sony CCD-V8AF-E

The RF adaptor is a is a Sony RFU-85

It plugs into the side of the camera, close to the back, on the right
hand side of control panel at the back of the camera and I would imagine
it to be roughly the size of a large pack of cigarettes, but about twice
as thick. From the look of the sketch in the camera manual, it has four
coax, or phono plug sockets on it.
His son thinks that it might have got lost when his grand son may have
used it for his play station1 machine.

Does anyone know if the RF unit would be compatible with a PS1?
If it is, there will be a much better chance of me finding one via the
games shops.

I know that the cassettes can be sent away and recorded to DVD, but he
will only do this as a last resort. He fears losing them in transit.

TIA

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Dec, 15:30, Dave wrote:
[...]

Well seeing as this is a DIY group them maybe make up a lead based on
the pin-out data given he-

http://sci.tech-archive.net/Archive/.../msg00449.html

I'd only upconvert back to RF and then back down again as a last
resort.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

airsmoothed wrote:
On 26 Dec, 15:30, Dave wrote:
[...]

Many thanks for that link. I didn't want to go that far, but I think I
have the pin sockets to make up a lead to extract the data. The owner is
well into his seventies and wants to pass on the video to his g daughters.

Anyone else got any info, before I get my soldering iron out?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
I mentioned to a drinking companion that I am transferring all my videos
to DVD and he has asked to to transfer some video from video 8 cassette,
that was taken in 1985, of his grand daughters.

When you finally make that DVD, make a copy to DVD-RAM as well as ya
other more player accessible DVD-formats. The longevity of standard
DVD-R unfortunately isn't that great, and ye may find the original tapes
might outlast those (though not necessarily the hardware to play them!)

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Have a chat with the lot on this site.....

http://www.memoryforless.co.uk/store/erol.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C wrote:
Dave wrote:
I mentioned to a drinking companion that I am transferring all my
videos to DVD and he has asked to to transfer some video from video 8
cassette, that was taken in 1985, of his grand daughters.

When you finally make that DVD, make a copy to DVD-RAM as well as ya
other more player accessible DVD-formats. The longevity of standard
DVD-R unfortunately isn't that great, and ye may find the original tapes
might outlast those (though not necessarily the hardware to play them!)

V good advice :-) I hadn't thought of that
Thanks

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

I have had a quick look and solved another problem going there. I'll
take another look after I get some food in me.

Thanks

Dave