Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electronic Transformer recommendations for a very small load i.e. 20W

I've just fitted a couple of Screwfix electronic transformers, this type:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/63579

These are rated for a 20-60W load (as are many of the other Screwfix ones).
The problem is, each of my transformers is only supplying 2x10W lamps and
one of the transformers is having trouble with a load this small - it keeps
changing between "working OK mode" and "flickering mode", which I think
indicates that the load is too small.

I don't really want to increase my bulbs from 10W to 20W and the layout of
the room means that I'd prefer to keep the two-transformer arrangement
rather than a single one (it would also be a major pain to change this now).

So, any recommendations for any different transformers, ideally in the
Screwfix range, that you have successfully used with a 20W load? Screwfix do
5 or 6 different ones that all say "20-60W" so maybe another type may be
better that the ones I have. They don't do any that go down to, say, 10W
minimum, which would be more ideal.

Thanks!

Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Simon Stroud wrote:
So, any recommendations for any different transformers, ideally in the
Screwfix range, that you have successfully used with a 20W load?
Screwfix do 5 or 6 different ones that all say "20-60W" so maybe
another type may be better that the ones I have. They don't do any that
go down to, say, 10W minimum, which would be more ideal.

Dunno about screwfix, but a proper transformer will work with a small load
- although the voltage may be a bit high. But TLC list both those and
electronic ones which apparently have no minimum load.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Lighting_Menu_Index/Lighting_Transformers/index.html

--
*That's it! I‘m calling grandma!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Simon Stroud wrote:
So, any recommendations for any different transformers, ideally in the
Screwfix range, that you have successfully used with a 20W load?
Screwfix do 5 or 6 different ones that all say "20-60W" so maybe
another type may be better that the ones I have. They don't do any that
go down to, say, 10W minimum, which would be more ideal.

Dunno about screwfix, but a proper transformer will work with a small load
- although the voltage may be a bit high. But TLC list both those and
electronic ones which apparently have no minimum load.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Lighting_Menu_Index/Lighting_Transformers/index.html

--
*That's it! I'm calling grandma!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Thanks Dave, might give TLC a go - haven't bought from them for a while.
Unfortunately the best looking ones there are out of stock but will have a
look in a few days time.

I did think about just using a traditional toroidal transformer from Maplin
or similar - they did a suitable potted one, but that's now discontinued.
They still do some bare 30VA ones which might be OK if I'm desperate - they
would certainly work with my small load.

Regards,
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 26, 3:03*pm, "Simon Stroud"
wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in ...

In article ,
* Simon Stroud wrote:
[...]

Why do you think the problem is too small a load? If it says it works
ok with 20w, it should, or something's faulty.

You can also use a toroidal or EI transformer, the latter are common
in any electronic parts catalogue. But with these you should use a
lamp wattage close to the max transformer rating, or the voltage will
rise and the lamps not last well

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message
On Dec 26, 3:03 pm, "Simon Stroud"
wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in

In article ,
Simon Stroud wrote:
[...]

Well, when I put a load of 30W on this particular transformer it works
perfectly. With 10W it goes dim and flickery. With 20W (2x10W or a single
20W lamp) it ALMOST works OK but occasionally goes flickery - that suggests
to me that it's "only just working" at 20W. As you say it might be faulty,
so I'll take this one back to Screwfix and try a different type.

Regards,
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 27, 2:12*pm, "Simon Stroud"
wrote:
"NT" wrote in message

On Dec 26, 3:03 pm, "Simon Stroud"
wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in

In article ,
Simon Stroud wrote:
[...]

For such a small load I might pull an EI transformer from the junkbox

NT