Anyone used Polycell crack-free ceiling paint?

Old December 21st 09, 09:04 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anyone used Polycell crack-free ceiling paint?

http://www.polycell.co.uk/products/p...e_ceilings.jsp

Just curious.

The temperature cycling here is showing very minor issues in two ceilings.

One has been painted and the hairline crack is short and very minor, so
frankly it can stay like that until the next decorating cycle.

But the kitchen ceiling only has a mist coat on - so not committed to paint
type yet.

These really are only hairline cracks and I expect them in an old building.
But any paint that will minimise them would be good.

Ta

Tim

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Old December 21st 09, 09:52 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Dec, 09:04, Tim W wrote:
http://www.polycell.co.uk/products/p...e_ceilings.jsp

Just curious.

The temperature cycling here is showing very minor issues in two ceilings.

One has been painted and the hairline crack is short and very minor, so
frankly it can stay like that until the next decorating cycle.

But the kitchen ceiling only has a mist coat on - so not committed to paint
type yet.

These really are only hairline cracks and I expect them in an old building.
But any paint that will minimise them would be good.

Ta

Tim

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

I haven't tried the paint but I have used their hairline crack filler
that you paint on and it is very good.

Jonathan
Old December 21st 09, 10:18 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Dec, 09:04, Tim W wrote:
http://www.polycell.co.uk/products/p...e_ceilings.jsp

Just curious.

The temperature cycling here is showing very minor issues in two ceilings.

One has been painted and the hairline crack is short and very minor, so
frankly it can stay like that until the next decorating cycle.

But the kitchen ceiling only has a mist coat on - so not committed to paint
type yet.

These really are only hairline cracks and I expect them in an old building.
But any paint that will minimise them would be good.

Haven't tried the paint, but recently recently had to do a repair job
on a woodchip papered ceiling which I'd papered and painted 25+ years
ago and which had developed a network of hairline cracks. I filled in
the cracks using the blue hand-squeeze tubes of flexible pollyfilla,
dragging it along the cracks, smoothing into cracks with fingertip and
then wiping off excess. After painting, it looks excellent.
Paint might do the same job, but filling the cracks separately leaves
you with option of any paint/colour.

Toom

Toom
Old December 21st 09, 10:33 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonathan
wibbled on Monday 21 December 2009 09:52

I haven't tried the paint but I have used their hairline crack filler
that you paint on and it is very good.

Jonathan

Ah - hadn't noticed that product - I shall look into it - then I can stay
with my favourite Dulux paint

Many thanks,

Tim

Old December 21st 09, 10:35 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 02:18:21 -0800 (PST), Toom Tabard
wrote:

On 21 Dec, 09:04, Tim W wrote:
[...]

Ceilings will all move eventually I presume and cracks might continue
to open? Would the flexible decorators caulk be a better option to
allow for movement for quite a while?

Mike P
Old December 21st 09, 12:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Toom Tabard
wibbled on Monday 21 December 2009 10:18

Haven't tried the paint, but recently recently had to do a repair job
on a woodchip papered ceiling which I'd papered and painted 25+ years
ago and which had developed a network of hairline cracks. I filled in
the cracks using the blue hand-squeeze tubes of flexible pollyfilla,
dragging it along the cracks, smoothing into cracks with fingertip and
then wiping off excess. After painting, it looks excellent.
Paint might do the same job, but filling the cracks separately leaves
you with option of any paint/colour.

That's also an idea. Ta. I did wonder whether to just let the paint fill the
crack. But as another room has managed to pop a minor hairline through 2
coats of dulux, it may not be elastic enough.

It's clearly happening along the plasterboard sections. It isn't getting
worse due to me bounding around on the ceiling rafters so I suspect it's due
to contraction in the cold. I have no reason to suspect the plasterboard
wasn't scrim taped before plastering, but as it was already skimmed it's
hard to tell. If it weren't, there'd probably be cracks along many more
joints.

Old December 21st 09, 12:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike
wibbled on Monday 21 December 2009 10:35

Ceilings will all move eventually I presume and cracks might continue
to open?

What I'm observing is the hairline isn;t getting any wider, just longer as
the stress concentrated at the end works its way along. On the assumption
that the PB is stagger jointed, hopefully the longest crack will stop
somewhere. Can't tell from above - all my celings have 2 layers of 9-ish mm
PB.

Would the flexible decorators caulk be a better option to
allow for movement for quite a while?

Mike P

They are very fine (literally hairline - you can only see the minor one by
lamplight, not in the day.

Something more liquid came to my mind that would work its way in. How gooey
is caulk? I've never used it.

Old December 21st 09, 12:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 12:30:46 +0000, Tim W wrote:

Mike
wibbled on Monday 21 December 2009 10:35

Ceilings will all move eventually I presume and cracks might continue
to open?

What I'm observing is the hairline isn;t getting any wider, just longer as
the stress concentrated at the end works its way along. On the assumption
that the PB is stagger jointed, hopefully the longest crack will stop
somewhere. Can't tell from above - all my celings have 2 layers of 9-ish mm
PB.

Would the flexible decorators caulk be a better option to
allow for movement for quite a while?

Mike P

They are very fine (literally hairline - you can only see the minor one by
lamplight, not in the day.

Something more liquid came to my mind that would work its way in. How gooey
is caulk? I've never used it.

Gooey .. no drip ... it will push in anywhere ... smooth off with
finger or scraper immediatly, before it starts to "dry" and pull.
It will remain flexible.

Mike P
Old December 21st 09, 12:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim W wrote:
Mike
wibbled on Monday 21 December 2009 10:35

Ceilings will all move eventually I presume and cracks might continue
to open?

What I'm observing is the hairline isn;t getting any wider, just longer as
the stress concentrated at the end works its way along. On the assumption
that the PB is stagger jointed, hopefully the longest crack will stop
somewhere. Can't tell from above - all my celings have 2 layers of 9-ish mm
PB.

Would the flexible decorators caulk be a better option to
allow for movement for quite a while?

Mike P

They are very fine (literally hairline - you can only see the minor one by
lamplight, not in the day.

Something more liquid came to my mind that would work its way in. How gooey
is caulk? I've never used it.

You have to be careful that your filling doesn't make things worse by
drawing attention to the change of texture and highlighting the filled
area. Been there etc. On a hairline crack anything other than more
Dulux is likely to do just that. I think I might lightly wipe the paint
across the crack with a washing up type sponge. Then again, I might just
do bugger all :-)
Old December 21st 09, 01:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble
wibbled on Monday 21 December 2009 12:47

You have to be careful that your filling doesn't make things worse by
drawing attention to the change of texture and highlighting the filled
area. Been there etc. On a hairline crack anything other than more
Dulux is likely to do just that. I think I might lightly wipe the paint
across the crack with a washing up type sponge. Then again, I might just
do bugger all :-)

Ah yes. I'm not that bothered. SWMBO is - she thinks the ceiling's falling
off. But I've told her this is pretty normal. But if there's something I can
do to help, I'll do it if it's easy