Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Adding a timeswitch to an electric underfloor heating system

Our en-suite bathroom has electric underfloor heating controlled by this
little beast (http://www.devi.co.uk/products/devir...nted/550.html),
a Devireg 550.

In theory it should be all the control that we need but the b*stard has a
mind of it's own and will insist on trying to warm the bathroom mid-day and
at any other time it fancies when we only want it to come on for a couple of
hours in the morning and in the evening.

That's how it's currently programmed but it seems determined to do it's own
thing. I've been through all the instructions and on to the company
helpline but it seems that because its "intelligent", we just have to put up
with it. This would be okay perhaps if we were using it for total room
heating but we're not, we just want to take the chill off the floor.

Anyhow, I just want to add a simple 7 day timer into the circuit and wonder
what the least obtrusive, easiest fitted timer might be. On that can give
me two on & offs per day with different times at the weekend. In fact, I
don't really need 7 days, just a weekday/weekend option with my two on/offs.

Any suggestions?

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim wrote:

[...]

The b****y thing's too clever by half! At least with my Honeywell
programmable room stat, I can turn off Optimum Start. You don't appear to be
able to do that with this thing!

Presumably the heating is hard-wired rather than being connected to a 13A
plug, so you can't use a plug-in timer?

In that case, a timer designed for controlling an immersion heater had ought
to do the trick. Something like
http://www.avenuesupplies.co.uk/inde...pid=7546&sid=1 perhaps?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 10:02:31 -0000 someone who may be "Tim"
wrote this:-

Anyhow, I just want to add a simple 7 day timer into the circuit and wonder
what the least obtrusive, easiest fitted timer might be.

There are time clocks which fit in/on a standard box, so you could
replace the controller with one of those. However, I would add a
thermostat to limit temperature in the room.

Take care with the zones.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim wrote:
[...]

Is it powered from a dedicated circuit? If so a timer could be fitted in
the CU if there is space. Failing that a DIN rail timer in a small
enclosure will do what you want. An immersion timer may also be suitable.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim wrote:
Anyhow, I just want to add a simple 7 day timer into the circuit and
wonder what the least obtrusive, easiest fitted timer might be. On
that can give me two on & offs per day with different times at the
weekend. In fact, I don't really need 7 days, just a weekday/weekend
option with my two on/offs.

I'd guess the cheapest way would be a central heating programmer with a
suitable relay?

--
*Middle age is when work is a lot less fun - and fun a lot more work.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Which underfloor heating system? [email protected] UK diy 7 May 10th 07 05:46 PM
Adding underfloor radiant heating with PEX? Freud Home Repair 6 March 2nd 07 03:27 AM
Electric Underfloor Heating mjb UK diy 3 February 19th 06 05:55 PM
electric underfloor heating... in2minds UK diy 5 November 1st 04 01:42 PM
Electric underfloor heating Christian McArdle UK diy 9 August 12th 03 02:53 PM