Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best tool for cutting / resizing blinds ?

Hi,
I've bought some standard run of the mill blinds from "Ponden Homes
( MIlls) " and unfortunately the width of 90cm is slightly too large
for my window - I will probably have to trim this down to about 86
cm . I was wondering what would be the best tool for the job,
obviously something which gives a nice clean cut.

cheers
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Nov, 18:25, Uncle-C wrote:
Hi,
I've bought some standard run of the mill blinds from "Ponden Homes
( MIlls) " and unfortunately the width of 90cm is slightly too large
for my window - I will probably have to trim this down to about 86
cm . I was wondering what would be the best tool for the job,
obviously something which gives a nice clean cut.

cheers

TBH scissors - IME they never roll up straight enough for you to
notice a "slightly wavy" cut edge

JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/09 18:25, Uncle-C wrote:

I've bought some standard run of the mill blinds from "Ponden Homes
( MIlls) " and unfortunately the width of 90cm is slightly too large
for my window - I will probably have to trim this down to about 86
cm . I was wondering what would be the best tool for the job,
obviously something which gives a nice clean cut.

Depends on what type of blinds, on the wild assumption that they are
Venetian blinds, you can get slat cutters ...

http://www.blinds-2go.co.uk/venetian_blind.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 10:25:11 -0800 (PST), Uncle-C
wrote:

Hi,
I've bought some standard run of the mill blinds from "Ponden Homes
( MIlls) " and unfortunately the width of 90cm is slightly too large
for my window - I will probably have to trim this down to about 86
cm . I was wondering what would be the best tool for the job,
obviously something which gives a nice clean cut.

Angle grinder, obviously.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Uncle-C wrote:
Hi,
I've bought some standard run of the mill blinds from "Ponden Homes
( MIlls) " and unfortunately the width of 90cm is slightly too large
for my window - I will probably have to trim this down to about 86
cm . I was wondering what would be the best tool for the job,
obviously something which gives a nice clean cut.

Decent sharp scissors will cut plastic ally or wood slats. The housing and
bottom part will need a hacksaw, etc.
cheers

*Ah, I see the f**k-up fairy has visited us again

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 18:48:09 +0000, Frank Erskine wrote:

Angle grinder, obviously.

Actually no: BTDTGTTS :-(

--
John Stumbles

This message has been rot13 encrypted twice for added security
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Nov, 18:45, Andy Burns wrote:
On 21/11/09 18:25, Uncle-C wrote:

I've bought some standard run of the mill blinds from "Ponden Homes
( MIlls) " and unfortunately the width of 90cm is slightly too large
for my window - I will probably have to trim this down to about 86
cm . I was wondering what would be the best tool for the job,
obviously something which gives a nice clean cut.

Depends on what type of blinds, on the wild assumption that they are
Venetian blinds, you can get slat cutters ...

http://www.blinds-2go.co.uk/venetian_blind.htm

ah yes I had just assumed roller blinds :)

We also did some wooden venetians that needed trimming - I ended up
clamping the lot in a vice (like a pack of cards) and cutting through
them all at once with a fine hacksaw - quick sand of any remaining
marks/splinters and twas OK..

JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 18:45:16 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

On 21/11/09 18:25, Uncle-C wrote:

I've bought some standard run of the mill blinds from "Ponden Homes
( MIlls) " and unfortunately the width of 90cm is slightly too large
for my window - I will probably have to trim this down to about 86
cm . I was wondering what would be the best tool for the job,
obviously something which gives a nice clean cut.

Depends on what type of blinds, on the wild assumption that they are
Venetian blinds, you can get slat cutters ...

http://www.blinds-2go.co.uk/venetian_blind.htm

For normal, metal venetian blinds, I just ran a marker down the edge while
they were closed, opened them up and cut each slat with a pair of scissors.
If you want to go the whole hog, a little 45 degree cut at each corner will
tidy them up.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 21/11/09 18:25, Uncle-C wrote:

I've bought some standard run of the mill blinds from "Ponden Homes
( MIlls) " and unfortunately the width of 90cm is slightly too large
for my window - I will probably have to trim this down to about 86
cm . I was wondering what would be the best tool for the job,
obviously something which gives a nice clean cut.

Depends on what type of blinds, on the wild assumption that they are
Venetian blinds, you can get slat cutters ...

http://www.blinds-2go.co.uk/venetian_blind.htm

If they are rollers ( fabric) you can get things with a round blade
that is used for cutting fabric ..Dressmakers suppliers sell them
...Try jaycotts .
They are like the ones you get for trimming wallpaper
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 21, 6:25*pm, Uncle-C wrote:
Hi,
I've bought some standard run of the mill blinds from "Ponden Homes
( MIlls) " and unfortunately the width of 90cm is slightly too large
for my window - I will probably have to trim this down to about 86
cm . I was wondering what would be the best tool for the job,
obviously something which gives a nice clean cut.

cheers

Best blind trimmer is a cat. I don't know the url, somewhere on
icanhascheezburger.com. Produces perfectly aligned edges.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
robgraham wrote:

Oh come on, guys - BTDTGTTS ???!!! .... and SCMS?????

Been There, Done That, Got The Tee Shirt, and Sliding Compound Mitre Saw.

Sliding Compound Mitre Saw ?

what a let down

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just to clarify matters I intend to put up bog standard roller
blinds ! ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Uncle-C wrote:
Just to clarify matters I intend to put up bog standard roller
blinds ! ;-)

TFFT! At last we know!

Junior hacksaw for the tube & bottom strip.

Wallpapering scissors are the best - nice long blades give a straight cut.
Mark it out in soft pencil & a straight edge.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk