DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Edge of flat roof leaking (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/290753-edge-flat-roof-leaking.html)

Clive November 1st 09 01:52 PM

Edge of flat roof leaking

Hi,

Water is coming through the edge of the wall and ceiling on an
external wall. There is a flat roof with felt that looks in decent
condition. I think the rain is coming through a crack in the roof felt
as it folds over the edge of the roof. Most of the rain water is going
into the gutter but some is running down the fascia board and I think
“creeping” back into the room.

Now the question is how do I fix it? I guess the area will be soaking
wet and will need to dry out. Also I need to fix the problem.

So how will I best get all this to dry out to avoid later fungi or
rot? How do I fix the crack in the edge of the roof felt? I have some
of that self-adhesive roll that is sticky on one side and metallic on
the other side. Will that adhere to the felt or come off? Is there
some “goo” I can put into the crack in the felt?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Clive

Phil L[_2_] November 1st 09 03:24 PM

Edge of flat roof leaking

Clive wrote:
[...]

You can use flashband (what you describe above) but don't use any silicone
sealant or the flashband won't stick - silicone attacks the bitumen.
Get a blowtorch to dry and warm the area first, then warm the piece of
flashband and stick it on, then run the torch over the area to ensure it
sticks down well.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Dave Liquorice[_2_] November 1st 09 04:56 PM

Edge of flat roof leaking

On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 15:24:22 GMT, Phil L wrote:

Get a blowtorch to dry and warm the area first, then warm the piece of
flashband and stick it on, then run the torch over the area to ensure it
sticks down well.

Note warm. A blow torch (unless it has a big burner) may be a bit
tricky to just warm a large area. A hot air paint stripper might be a
bit more controlable. Also a small roller(*) can be used to ensure
good contact between the flashband and underlying material.

(*) Wallpaper seam roller but don't expect to use it for wallpapering
again.

--
Cheers
Dave.

js.b1 November 1st 09 11:20 PM

Edge of flat roof leaking

The leak might be tracking from elsewhere.
Wickes do a paint on acrylic sealer. It is not cheap, about £38-45,
but it has very good reports.

Remove the source of water, then let it dry out - if it does not dry
the leak is not gone.

Clive November 2nd 09 12:19 PM

Edge of flat roof leaking

On Nov 1, 4:56*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 15:24:22 GMT, Phil L wrote:
Get a blowtorch to dry and warm the area first, then warm the piece of
flashband and stick it on, then run the torch over the area to ensure it
sticks down well.

Note warm. A blow torch (unless it has a big burner) may be a bit
tricky to just warm a large area. A hot air paint stripper might be a
bit more controlable. Also a small roller(*) can be used to ensure
good contact between the flashband and underlying material.

(*) Wallpaper seam roller but don't expect to use it for wallpapering
again.

--
Cheers
Dave.

I had some Everbuild 905 All Weather Roof Coating lying around and the
flashband. I filled the cracks using the roof coating and fibreglass
(as recommended on the tin). I have applied the flashband and rolled
it using a decorating roller. I have coated the exposed edge of the
flashband with a liberal dollop of the roof coating. More rain due
tomorrow so hopefully it will dry by then (as much as this stuff does
dry) and we will see whether I found the cause and have fixed it.

When can one tell a flat roof is due for replacement? Visible bubbles
and cracks on the surface? When the ceiling caves in after a heavy
downpour? Apart from the "edge cracks" the rest of the roof seems fine
and has been down at least 20 (30?) years (I helped my Dad put it
down). I am loath to shell out to replace a perfectly good roof but I
want to avoid a later ceiling disaster.

Flat roofs in domestic situations? Loath them. Whoever thought they
were a sensible idea given British weather?

Thanks for all your suggestions and tips.

Clive