Lifting & re-laying laminate flooring

Old October 19th 09, 08:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lifting & re-laying laminate flooring

Can laminate flooring be lifted and relaid starting from the corner
where the first bits of laminate were laid?
I haven't done any laminate laying, so don't have a clue.

The problem has arisen due to a fairly major leak in a central heating
pipe. The flooring is newish and was laid starting from one corner, as
one does. Ideally it should all be lifted in reverse order, from the
corner diagonally opposite to this. The leak is near the corner where
the laminate laying was started.

The leak is an old joint (I think) which has started leaking after
power flushing, prior to a new boiler. I can just see it with a
mirror and torch, I can't reach it without lifting the laminate and
floorboards.

So, is it practical to just lift the planks in this corner, or am I
going to bugger up the locking bits?
Old October 19th 09, 09:09 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Onetap
wibbled on Monday 19 October 2009 19:45

Can laminate flooring be lifted and relaid starting from the corner
where the first bits of laminate were laid?

If it's click-lok (unglued) then it can, starting from where the *last* bit
was laid. If a plank at one edge can be lifted and turned through 45
degrees (whatever) then it should cleanly disengage.

If it's glued, then not really, though it may be possible to cut out a
section and repair it with new material (if available)

I haven't done any laminate laying, so don't have a clue.

The problem has arisen due to a fairly major leak in a central heating
pipe. The flooring is newish and was laid starting from one corner, as
one does. Ideally it should all be lifted in reverse order, from the
corner diagonally opposite to this. The leak is near the corner where
the laminate laying was started.

I see. It is almost certainly best to unclick the whole floor. I had to when
I laid click-lok wood flooring in a 10m2 room and discovered I needed some
car packing near the start (bah). It only took 20 minutes to declick and
stack in little piles *in order* in the same room. Probably 30 minutes to
relay (most of the effort is in the cutting).

The leak is an old joint (I think) which has started leaking after
power flushing, prior to a new boiler. I can just see it with a
mirror and torch, I can't reach it without lifting the laminate and
floorboards.

So, is it practical to just lift the planks in this corner, or am I
going to bugger up the locking bits?

I think you'll bugger it up.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Old October 20th 09, 12:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Onetap" wrote

Can laminate flooring be lifted and relaid starting from the corner
where the first bits of laminate were laid?

snip........

Yes, as Tim says, but either stack it very neatly in order, or label (the
back of) each piece for re-laying.
I did a similar exercise with click-loc stuff. It was taken up for about a
year and left in the garage under where the car was parked each night.
Had to replace one or two bits from a spare box, but the rest went down
pretty well

Phil

Lifting up Laminate flooring bp UK diy 6 July 22nd 09 06:25 PM
Laying Laminate Flooring jonjo UK diy 7 September 3rd 07 11:16 AM
Laying Laminate Flooring Mark Cotton UK diy 7 August 13th 06 05:36 PM
laying laminate flooring ron UK diy 12 April 28th 06 01:24 AM
Laying laminate flooring [email protected] Home Repair 7 December 16th 05 03:14 AM