Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mirror, mirror, on the wall ...

Hi all

Anyone had experience of sticking mirrors to tiled walls ? I have nearly
finished my bathroom refit, and want to fit a mirror to one fully tiled
wall, preferably invisibly. The tiles are large at 60 x 30 cm, and very flat
(I fitted them and I'm a pedantic bugger for such things).

I have some cartridge adhesive called Pro-stick 2000. It was given to me by
the owner of a company that builds food retail trailers (burger vans etc) to
stick some ally trim to a centre counter when I rebuilt my kitchen. It is a
professional adhesive and they use it for everything. It grabs pretty much
instantly, and sets to a rigid but slightly pliable bond. I'm pretty sure
that once on, you would need to use some serious brute force to remove
anything stuck on with it, so I was thinking of using it to secure my mirror
to the wall.

So, is this the way that mirrors are invisibly fixed ? No issues with the
silvering coming away from the glass, as it occurs to me that what you would
actually be sticking is just the layer of silvering, and then relying on how
well that is bonded to the glass ? Sort of like when you are sticking tiles
to a painted surface, and you are actually relying on the paint bond to the
wall. Any insights or genuine experiences appreciated.

TIA

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Arfa Daily" writes:
[...]

It is what's done, but a special glue is used which is available from
glaziers, which doesn't attack the silvering. Some of the standard
glues and silicones make the silvering go black.

A couple of mirrors I've put up (screws not glue) have suffered with
silvering vanishing along the edges over the years, due to condensation
and corrosion of the silver I presume. Next time I put one up, I'll look
to paint the back with something. It looks to me like zinc should work
as a sacraficial anode on silver even better than it does on iron, but
I haven't heard of anyone doing this before.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
Anyone had experience of sticking mirrors to tiled walls ? I have nearly
finished my bathroom refit, and want to fit a mirror to one fully tiled
wall, preferably invisibly. The tiles are large at 60 x 30 cm, and very
flat (I fitted them and I'm a pedantic bugger for such things).

Best way would have been to fix it to the wall and tile round it. Unless
it's round, of course. You can often get ready made mirrors that are an
exact multiple of the tiles.

--
*I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore I am perfect*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/2009 10:38 Arfa Daily wrote:

Anyone had experience of sticking mirrors to tiled walls ?

I got a tube of 'Mirror Adhesive' (gasp!) from my local glazier and the
mirror is still on the wall after almost three years. However, I fixed
it to the WBP ply I had part boarded the wall with and then tiled round it.

The manufacturer is Hodgson Sealants and they're on 01482 868321. The
tube indicates that the adhesive would be ok for ceramics but warns that
mirrors 1M2 should have permanent support. Perhaps a call to Hodgsons
might provide some reassurance?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily
wibbled on Monday 19 October 2009 10:38

[...]

The mirrors on my wardrobe doors are glued on using something. Could you
test some of your stuff, say sticking the shiney face of a spare tile to
the face of another tile. If that works, you should be good.

You'd probably be fine with a number of double sided sticky foam pads if
they are good ones. Finish with a bead of silicone round the edge.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Oct, 10:38, "Arfa Daily" wrote:

So, is this the way that mirrors are invisibly fixed ?

"Mirror Mate", from Screwfix et al Otherwise you burn the silvering

Posh(sic) furniture shop in Chepstow has a bunch of multi-panel
bevelled mirrors at huge costs, and in every one you can see a big
figure-8 etching its way in from the back...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim W" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks all for valuable input, especially for the reference to the
manufacturer of the mirror adhesive. I had always intended putting a mirror
on this particular wall, and had considered tiling around one, but I am also
fitting two 4 lamp light bars, stage dressing room makeup style, and had not
until recently sourced these, so was not really sure of exact location or
size for the mirror. I think that I am quite happy with it being on the
surface anyway.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
Thanks all for valuable input, especially for the reference to the
manufacturer of the mirror adhesive. I had always intended putting a
mirror on this particular wall, and had considered tiling around one,
but I am also fitting two 4 lamp light bars, stage dressing room makeup
style, and had not until recently sourced these, so was not really sure
of exact location or size for the mirror. I think that I am quite happy
with it being on the surface anyway.

TLC do quite a decent version of those stage mirror lights. Not sure it's
suitable for everywhere in the bathroom, though.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ing/index.html

--
*I pretend to work. - they pretend to pay me.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:
Hi all

Anyone had experience of sticking mirrors to tiled walls ? I have nearly
finished my bathroom refit, and want to fit a mirror to one fully tiled
wall, preferably invisibly. The tiles are large at 60 x 30 cm, and very flat
(I fitted them and I'm a pedantic bugger for such things).

Yes.use mirror glue.Its that simple.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:
Hi all

Anyone had experience of sticking mirrors to tiled walls ? I have nearly
finished my bathroom refit, and want to fit a mirror to one fully tiled
wall, preferably invisibly. The tiles are large at 60 x 30 cm, and very
flat (I fitted them and I'm a pedantic bugger for such things).

Yes.use mirror glue.Its that simple.

Mirror glue it is then ! The Screwfix reference might be useful, as they
have a walk-in depot near me.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
Thanks all for valuable input, especially for the reference to the
manufacturer of the mirror adhesive. I had always intended putting a
mirror on this particular wall, and had considered tiling around one,
but I am also fitting two 4 lamp light bars, stage dressing room makeup
style, and had not until recently sourced these, so was not really sure
of exact location or size for the mirror. I think that I am quite happy
with it being on the surface anyway.

TLC do quite a decent version of those stage mirror lights. Not sure it's
suitable for everywhere in the bathroom, though.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ing/index.html

--
*I pretend to work. - they pretend to pay me.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Yep, that's the sort of thing. I've actually got the ones I'm going to use
now. They were in John Lewis. Bit dearer than those ones on the TLC website,
but a bit 'chunkier' too. Like TLC's ones, they are rated for bathroom zone
3, which is where the mirror will be, so all ok there.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:
Arfa Daily wrote:
Hi all

Anyone had experience of sticking mirrors to tiled walls ? I have nearly
finished my bathroom refit, and want to fit a mirror to one fully tiled
wall, preferably invisibly. The tiles are large at 60 x 30 cm, and very
flat (I fitted them and I'm a pedantic bugger for such things).

Yes.use mirror glue.Its that simple.

Mirror glue it is then ! The Screwfix reference might be useful, as they
have a walk-in depot near me.

Arfa

got mine from the glazier who sold the mirror..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

I used white silicone to affix a mirror to tiles in my shower - this was 10
years ago and it's still there and perfectly usuable - it's so I can have a
shave in the shower.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
.. .
Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

I take it that it's at head height then ... ? d;~)

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:03:58 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

It is what's done, but a special glue is used which is available from
glaziers, which doesn't attack the silvering. Some of the standard
glues and silicones make the silvering go black.

Presumably those that liberate acetic acid as they cure.

Next time I put one up, I'll look to paint the back with something. It
looks to me like zinc should work as a sacraficial anode on silver even
better than it does on iron, but I haven't heard of anyone doing this
before.

Is the "silvering" silver these days or aluminium?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:03:58 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

It is what's done, but a special glue is used which is available from
glaziers, which doesn't attack the silvering. Some of the standard
glues and silicones make the silvering go black.

Presumably those that liberate acetic acid as they cure.

Next time I put one up, I'll look to paint the back with something. It
looks to me like zinc should work as a sacraficial anode on silver even
better than it does on iron, but I haven't heard of anyone doing this
before.

Is the "silvering" silver these days or aluminium?

always has been aluminium I think. At least in my lifetime.

gluing mirror to plastic (car door mirror) sm_jamieson UK diy 9 December 15th 08 04:58 PM
Oval mirror - mirror leaning on tree.JPG (0/2) George Max Woodworking Plans and Photos 3 May 25th 07 11:36 PM
fixing mirror - mirror screws and bushes sm_jamieson UK diy 0 April 23rd 07 01:29 PM
WALL MIRROR J T Woodworking 0 January 16th 06 05:35 PM
Bathroom wall mirror James Eddison UK diy 11 November 10th 03 02:02 AM