Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default repairing a paper shredder?

Hi All
I've been offered an old paper shredder cheap. It's a Rexel P-190 strip-
cut shredder FWIW. It's been removed from mainline service in an office as
'it doesn't work very well' - I think it doesn't cleanly separate the strips
all the time etc.

A somewhat higher powered shredder like this would come in handy at home, if
only for shredding prior to paper going on the composter. We already have a
small cross-cut shredder but it's a bit short on grunt (as they all seem to
be). But would there be any mileage in trying to fix/improve this fault? I'm
guessing it may just be old age, and that the cutters are knackered ... but
I'd be interested to learn of uk.d-i-y type repairs/improvements I might be
able to consider...

Thanks
j^n

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Night Tripper" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Probably never been oiled in accordance with the instructions. I used to do
the one in our office every week. When I retired no-one did it and I believe
it failed after about 2 months.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 10:03:47 +0100, The Night Tripper wrote:

Hi All
I've been offered an old paper shredder cheap. It's a Rexel P-190
strip-
cut shredder FWIW. It's been removed from mainline service in an office
as 'it doesn't work very well' - I think it doesn't cleanly separate the
strips all the time etc.

A somewhat higher powered shredder like this would come in handy at
home, if only for shredding prior to paper going on the composter. We
already have a small cross-cut shredder but it's a bit short on grunt
(as they all seem to be). But would there be any mileage in trying to
fix/improve this fault? I'm guessing it may just be old age, and that
the cutters are knackered ... but I'd be interested to learn of uk.d-i-y
type repairs/improvements I might be able to consider...

I'd try oiling it. There is proper shredder oil but I'd be interested to
know how important that is!

I oil mine regularly (well, whenever I think it's not working as well).

I also find that the oily paper powder gums up the actuator paddle, and
once a year or so I take it apart and clean that out.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org