Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oak mouldings

I'm struggling to locate some oak mouldings for a grandfather clock. I
need a coving shape in white oak, around 50mm square, but the closest
I've got is much smaller mouldings or custom ones that people seem
unwilling to quote me on (probably because I only need 6 feet or so).
Does anyone know a supplier who will do small amounts of bespoke
mouldings or has something off-the-shelf that will do?

Cheers,

Jon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jon Connell wrote:
I'm struggling to locate some oak mouldings for a grandfather clock. I
need a coving shape in white oak, around 50mm square, but the closest
I've got is much smaller mouldings or custom ones that people seem
unwilling to quote me on (probably because I only need 6 feet or so).
Does anyone know a supplier who will do small amounts of bespoke
mouldings or has something off-the-shelf that will do?

Do you have a router?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Oct, 00:01, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Do you have a router?

Probably won't match. Assuming this is an old clock, those mouldings
were cut on a wooden-bodied hand moulding plane. Mouldings cut on a
router are ugly in comparison, from the limits of the tooling. You
have trouble getting sharp arrises (ridges), you certainly can't cut a
decent vee groove with a router.

Your best option is a wooden moulding plane. Many of them will match,
surprisingly well - many of the shapes were standards, even if you
need two planes in two passes to cut a complex moulding.

The practical option though is a scratch stock (JFGI). You make this
yourself, matching the profile in a piece of steel (old sawblade) and
then using a commercial (Stanley #66) or home made wooden holder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Jon Connell wrote:
I'm struggling to locate some oak mouldings for a grandfather clock. I
need a coving shape in white oak, around 50mm square, but the closest
I've got is much smaller mouldings or custom ones that people seem
unwilling to quote me on (probably because I only need 6 feet or so).
Does anyone know a supplier who will do small amounts of bespoke
mouldings or has something off-the-shelf that will do?

Custom sized cove can be made on a table saw...

Radial arm saws work well, too, with easy control of arm angle and blade
-to-table height. I start with a length of oak board, say an inch or so
thick, form the concave moulding first, then rip both sides of the
moulding to a 45 degree chamfer. It's much easier to work with a
flat-backed moulding than one which started out as a square section,
uses less timber, and is almost certainly how the clock would have been
made originally.

--
Kevin Poole
****Use current date to reply (e.g. )****
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 11, 12:01*am, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Do you have a router?

Yes, but not a 1/2" one and a cutter large enough for this coving
would need to be 1/2" and they look quite pricey:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-C...tter-20981.htm

Jon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 11, 3:37*am, John Rumm wrote:
Custom sized cove can be made on a table saw...

Yeeeees... I've seen some howtos on doing that. It's my fallback at
the moment if I can't just buy some. I have enough work to do with the
clock I'm making without doing that.

At some point I'm probably also going to want to get something along
the lines of this:

http://www.newoodmoulding.com/Millwork.htm

if I'm going to follow the contours of the clock face I have, placing
a semicircular arch above the hood. I'm undecided about that as it
will greatly increase the complexity of the design. That said, it will
look a lot better.

Jon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Do you have a router?

Yes, but not a 1/2" one and a cutter large enough for this coving
would need to be 1/2" and they look quite pricey:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-C...tter-20981.htm

I thought you wanted a cove, not a quadrant? The above won't route a cove!

Cove bits are like:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a... ile=1&jump=0

This ebay seller usually has a good collection of decent quality router
cutters that he ships from the US, alas the shop seems empty at the moment:

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Super-...__W0QQ_armrsZ1

I've seen this type of cove/scotia moulding ex 50mm softwood. Wasn't
that the size the OP was after? Too big for a router I reckon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Oct, 16:29, John Rumm wrote:
I thought you wanted a cove, not a quadrant? The above won't route a cove!

Cove bits are like:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...=cove&user_sea...

Yes, my mistake.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Oct, 17:53, John Rumm wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
I've seen this type of cove/scotia moulding ex 50mm softwood. Wasn't
that the size the OP was after? Too big for a router I reckon.

50mm would feed a FO big panel raising style cutter in a table mounted
router. I think the table saw option would be preferable!

Short of sourcing one (which has proven very difficult), it does look
like the best option.

Jon

Plaster Mouldings Bob Binz UK diy 3 August 5th 08 10:30 AM
Plaster Mouldings - DIY! design77 UK diy 11 May 16th 07 07:30 AM
UPVC mouldings. Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 0 April 23rd 07 11:12 AM
crown mouldings andy Woodworking 4 January 15th 06 06:52 AM
crown mouldings andy Woodworking 3 January 11th 06 01:27 AM