David Hearn

Default Core drills

I want to put a clean hole through a cavity wall which has render on the
outside (and tiles on the inside!) for a tumble drier outlet as having the
window open whilst drying is making the kitchen very cold at this time of
year.

I guess a core drill would be the way to go (as opposed to drilling,
chipping out bits of brick manually). I've a basic 500w mains drill which I
think may not be enough for this sort of thing (or am I wrong). Also, the
cost of the core drills are quite expensive. So - I thought about hiring
one. Quick look on HSS's website says £38 + VAT for a day's hire (or £47.50
+ VAT for a weekend). This seems quite expensive for what should
(hopefully) be less than 30 minutes use.

So - any other suggestions/ideas? Anywhere I may hire this cheaper from?
Are there cheap core drills out there which I may be able to use my 500w
drill to do just one single job and then throw (the core drill) away?

Is it possible to make a neat hole through render for this purpose without
using a core drill? I'm happy to do it manually just drilling and chipping
away at bricks - but I don't want to damage the render by doing this.

Thanks

To send email to me - remove references to NoSpam, and Spammer from my email
address.

David Hearn

"David Hearn" wrote in message
I want to put a clean hole through a cavity wall which has render on the
outside (and tiles on the inside!) for a tumble drier outlet as having the
window open whilst drying is making the kitchen very cold at this time of
year.

I guess a core drill would be the way to go (as opposed to drilling,
chipping out bits of brick manually). I've a basic 500w mains drill which

think may not be enough for this sort of thing (or am I wrong). Also, the
cost of the core drills are quite expensive. So - I thought about hiring
one. Quick look on HSS's website says £38 + VAT for a day's hire (or

£47.50
+ VAT for a weekend). This seems quite expensive for what should
(hopefully) be less than 30 minutes use.

BTW - the £38 + VAT is for a core drill and the drill itself - not just the
core drill bit. Erm... maybe I've got my terms muddled. Drills are what
you put bits into - so I guess I mean drill and core bit is £38 + VAT.

Christian McArdle

So - any other suggestions/ideas?

I wouldn't try it with a standard drill. You need an SDS at a minimum,
preferably a powerful one. Screwfix do a "light duty" range of core drills
suitable for entry level SDS drills.

My solution to this problem is to only buy condensing dryers. Then they can
be moved into whatever position you like, and you don't have to drill
unsightly holes in the wall.

Christian.

RichardS

[...]

If you have any local independent hire shops then give them a call.

My local pretty much always beats HSS prices (they were set up by
disgruntled ex-HSS'ers, as I suspect a few of these outlets are).

When I drilled a couple of 6" holes through the wall I used a TCT core bit
and their Hilti TE24 drill - cost was something like £10 for the drill, £3
for the transformer and £4 for the core bit for the day (plus VAT).

Compared to your average percussion or SDS drill this thing is a bit of a
beast. If you hire one check before leaving the shop that the front handle
grips the collar securely - I had one that didn't and it almost threw me off
the work surface when the bit jammed and the collar slipped.

cheers
Richard
--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Lee Blaver

RichardS wrote:

Quick look on HSS's website says £38 + VAT for a day's hire (or
£47.50 + VAT for a weekend). This seems quite expensive for what should
(hopefully) be less than 30 minutes use.

So - any other suggestions/ideas? Anywhere I may hire this cheaper from?
Are there cheap core drills out there which I may be able to use my 500w
drill to do just one single job and then throw (the core drill) away?

snip

If you have any local independent hire shops then give them a call.

snip
When I drilled a couple of 6" holes through the wall I used a TCT core bit
and their Hilti TE24 drill - cost was something like £10 for the drill, £3
for the transformer and £4 for the core bit for the day (plus VAT).

Compared to your average percussion or SDS drill this thing is a bit of a
beast. If you hire one check before leaving the shop that the front handle
grips the collar securely - I had one that didn't and it almost threw me off
the work surface when the bit jammed and the collar slipped.

Yes, try an independent, the local one quoted me £21 inc vat for a
Diamond core bit, drill, chuck extensions and pilot drill bit.
There was also an addition cost per mm of wear on the diamond bit, be
wary of this because most make a similar charge.

If they offer TCT core bits, they don't usually charge for wear,
although they will probably still make a charge for "abuse" if you blunt
it

Lee
--
Never summon Anything you can't banish.
-

David

In article , David Hearn dave@NoSpamSwampi
eSpammer.Org.Uk writes
[...]

Check that you need to do this, I borrowed a core drill opened the
outlet kit and found...... a rectangular shaped piece that was about the
size of a std house brick.
--
David

PoP

wrote:

I guess a core drill would be the way to go (as opposed to drilling,
chipping out bits of brick manually). I've a basic 500w mains drill which I
think may not be enough for this sort of thing (or am I wrong). Also, the
cost of the core drills are quite expensive. So - I thought about hiring
one. Quick look on HSS's website says £38 + VAT for a day's hire (or £47.50
+ VAT for a weekend). This seems quite expensive for what should
(hopefully) be less than 30 minutes use.

I must be pricing myself wrong somewhere. I charge less than that to
come out, supply drill and core drill, and drill the hole for
customers. And I feel I make a decent profit out of doing the job to
make it worthwhile.

For not a lot more I will finish the job properly with the extractor
accessories (materials costs added on top).

And before someone leaps up and down shouting "oi! no advertising on
this newsgroup!", I'm not advertising. I'm just putting this into
context that sometimes hiring tools can be more expensive than
shopping around to get someone who has the tools to come and do the
job.

PoP

Mike Harrison

[...]

Might also be worth a word in the ear of your local friendly plumber/heating engineer. 20 quid cash
for a few mins work might be appealing....

Gnube

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:32:40 +0100, Mike Harrison
wrote:

Might also be worth a word in the ear of your local friendly plumber/heating engineer. 20 quid cash
for a few mins work might be appealing....

!? I would imagine the OP wanted to use it THIS winter! :O)

Take Care,
Gnube
{too thick for linux}

BillR

David Hearn wrote:
[...]

If you want a clean breakout use a diamond corer.
You could try a SDS drill with TCT bit but an SDS drill will make helluva
mess of your render unless you carefully drill from each size.
I can't see this being any cheaper than hiring...

I doubt a 500w normal drill is anywhere powerful enough to drill this large
hole.
I hired 117mm diamond corer inc dedicated Makita drill machine for £36 inc
vat from a small independant hire place in SW London.
I find the render I've come accross one of the hardest things to drill . A
normal hammer drill was pretty hopeless even on small holes whereas SDS
makes dust out of it.

ARWadsworth

I find the render I've come accross one of the hardest things to drill . A
normal hammer drill was pretty hopeless even on small holes whereas SDS
makes dust out of it.

You are not joking. I have drilled render with a 5.5mm drill on a SDS
machine and had to insert a brown plasplug to make the screw fit tightly.
From now on it is 4mm drill on render and I will work up to a 5.5 mm hole.

--
Adam

DKSanders

£38 is nothing against the potential for an accident! I had to cut two 110mm
holes through a new extension the other day. I already owned a suitable,
new, diamond core drill bit but my SDS was probably going to be underpowered
so I went to a local tool hire and hired a core drill for £10.

All was going well, both sides of the first hole drilled, inside of the
second hole drilled, then up the ladder outside to drill the last for the
second hole.

Just as it got to the point where the bricks were going to come away (when
the bit will bind if it's going to), I braced myself ready, when the trigger
stuck on. Pressing the release button or the trigger did nothing, it stayed
on. Then the bit cut through and the bricks came away, and the bit stuck.

I was now up a ladder, it had started to rain, and I was fighting the
immense torque of the core drill trying to keep it still. A losing battle
which resulted in the drill twisting out of my hands, a loop of the mains
cable corkscrewing around the base of my left thumb, and the side handle of
the drill smashing into my right forearm.

As these things do, it flashed through my mind that I was going to lose the
thumb, and that the only way out was to try and kick the lead out of the
extension reel. Luckily at that point, the 1/2" dia. guide rod for the bit,
sheared off (before the side handle broke my forearm) and me, drill, brick
core, and ladder, fell in a heap at the bottom of the wall.

On later examination, the hired drill had not been maintained properly
(ever?) and the trigger had a groove worn in it from the casing on which it
had stuck.

That £10 may have been cheap but it cost me a couple of days when I couldn't
work, and nearly cost me a broken arm and a lost thumb or even worse. It's
£38 from HSS for me in future, and money well spent (saved).

"BillR" wrote in message
David Hearn wrote:
[...]

Martin Angove

In message ,
"ARWadsworth" wrote:

I find the render I've come accross one of the hardest things to drill . A
normal hammer drill was pretty hopeless even on small holes whereas SDS
makes dust out of it.

You are not joking. I have drilled render with a 5.5mm drill on a SDS
machine and had to insert a brown plasplug to make the screw fit tightly.
From now on it is 4mm drill on render and I will work up to a 5.5 mm hole.

I'm new to this lark of making big holes (apart from a bit of chiselling
a while back). I recently made a 50mm hole in whatever passes for breeze
block in a 1930s ex-council house using a TCT core drill and a 760W
drill. It happened to be an SDS machine, but I had the hammer turned
off. It went through like the proverbial hot knife through butter. From
reading the above, it seems as if others would do this job with the
hammer turned on...

Next job will probably involve hard brick. To Hammer or Not To Hammer?

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
Don't fight technology, live with it: http://www.livtech.co.uk/
ARWadsworth

I'm new to this lark of making big holes (apart from a bit of chiselling
a while back). I recently made a 50mm hole in whatever passes for breeze
block in a 1930s ex-council house using a TCT core drill and a 760W
drill. It happened to be an SDS machine, but I had the hammer turned
off. It went through like the proverbial hot knife through butter. From
reading the above, it seems as if others would do this job with the
hammer turned on...

Next job will probably involve hard brick. To Hammer or Not To Hammer?

I never use the hammer action when using a core drill. Good luck with the
hard brick.

--
Adam