Temporary (1-2 years) roof covering?

Old September 13th 09, 01:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Temporary (1-2 years) roof covering?

In the great scheme we are about to build a shed then take down a garage
(have to do it that way because the garage is full and the contents need to
go in the shed before we can take it down).

However the garage is roofed with these really nice tiles which match the
house and it would be good to re-use these on the shed roof.

However, we need to have both buildings up for a while so we can't use the
tiles from the garage when we first build the shed.

Is there something cheap which would last a couple of years as a sloping
roof before replacement (or possibly even remaining as a layer under the
tiles)?

We were going to use corrugated felt stuff but it would be nice to re-use
the tiles.

Cheers

Dave R

Old September 13th 09, 02:29 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2009-09-13, David WE Roberts wrote:
In the great scheme we are about to build a shed then take down a garage
(have to do it that way because the garage is full and the contents need
go in the shed before we can take it down).

However the garage is roofed with these really nice tiles which match the
house and it would be good to re-use these on the shed roof.

However, we need to have both buildings up for a while so we can't use
the
tiles from the garage when we first build the shed.

Is there something cheap which would last a couple of years as a sloping
roof before replacement (or possibly even remaining as a layer under the
tiles)?

I'd use roofing felt. It's only a few pounds for a roll.

The same stuff as is used on sheds, with the little bits of gravel on one
side? I'd go for that.

Old September 13th 09, 02:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 13, 12:01*pm, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
In the great scheme we are about to build a shed then take down a garage
(have to do it that way because the garage is full and the contents need to
go in the shed before we can take it down).

However the garage is roofed with these really nice tiles which match the
house and it would be good to re-use these on the shed roof.

However, we need to have both buildings up for a while so we can't use the
tiles from the garage when we first build the shed.

Is there something cheap which would last a couple of years as a sloping
roof before replacement (or possibly even remaining as a layer under the
tiles)?

We were going to use corrugated felt stuff but it would be nice to re-use
the tiles.

Cheers

Dave R

cheap shed roofng felt sounds perfect. I expect one layer might be
enough for 2 years, projects often drag on though

NT
Old September 13th 09, 03:44 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Sep, 12:01, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
In the great scheme we are about to build a shed then take down a garage
(have to do it that way because the garage is full and the contents need to
go in the shed before we can take it down).

However the garage is roofed with these really nice tiles which match the
house and it would be good to re-use these on the shed roof.

However, we need to have both buildings up for a while so we can't use the
tiles from the garage when we first build the shed.

Do you need to move everything out of the garage if it's going to be
rebuilt in the same place?

When we built our new garage we had nowhere to put the contents -
which filled the space. We built the new walls and roof round the old
then took down the old walls from inside. It worked beautifully.

Mary
Old September 13th 09, 04:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On 13 Sep, 12:01, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
In the great scheme we are about to build a shed then take down a garage
(have to do it that way because the garage is full and the contents need
go in the shed before we can take it down).

However the garage is roofed with these really nice tiles which match the
house and it would be good to re-use these on the shed roof.

However, we need to have both buildings up for a while so we can't use
the
tiles from the garage when we first build the shed.

Do you need to move everything out of the garage if it's going to be
rebuilt in the same place?

When we built our new garage we had nowhere to put the contents -
which filled the space. We built the new walls and roof round the old
then took down the old walls from inside. It worked beautifully.

In the same place?
Why would we do that?

Old September 13th 09, 04:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message
[...]

For all those who suggested roofing felt........

...Felted roof goes on wood (planks or ply) goes on rafters. You use felting
nails to hold the felt down. You may put battens across the top for
additional 'hold down'.

...Tile roof goes on battens goes on rafters. You may have some tar paper or
similar beneath the battens.

So unless I am to stretch the felt over some battens (which is not the usual
method) this does not seem an obvious solution.
I think I am looking for some really cheap material which will keep the rain
out for a couple of years and may not need stripping off afterwards.

If the answer is to put on a wood roof covered with roofing felt (standard
for sheds), then put battens over the whole thing and put tiles on top, then
that might be an option but again may not hit the 'cheap' button.

Cheers

Dave R

Old September 13th 09, 07:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
On 13 Sep, 15:48, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
If the answer is to put on a wood roof covered with roofing felt
(standard
for sheds), then put battens over the whole thing and put tiles on top,
then
that might be an option but again may not hit the 'cheap' button.

It is, and (apart from the roofing felt) is how roofs are constructed
in Scotland, with sarking boards.

Have the tiles to be laid on battens or could they be nailed to
sarking boards?

Using sarking boards strengthens the roof so you might save a bit on
rafters, and something cheap like OSB off building site hoardings
might be good enough. And would mean you could have a nice
weatherproof loft to the shed.

With you up to the loft bit. This is a single pitch sloping roof not an apex
roof.

I expect to use reasonable depth rafters so I can get some insulation up
between them. I am limited on total height by the current regulations - at
least by the dimensions I have to meet if I don't require buildings
regulations approval.

Board over the rafters should help weather and draft proofing but is an
extra layer with extra cost.

Tiles are big sod off wavy things with a lip at the top to hook over a
batten. This lip has a nail hole at right angles to the main tile i.e. you
nail it through the lip into the side of the batten with the nail parallel
to the main tile. As far as I can see I have to use battens or the tiles
will not lie right.

Can you get second hand OSB?
Or is the new stuff cheap enough?
2440 * 1220 (8' * 4') for 18.56 at B&Q

Coroline in 183.99 for 15 sheets of 2m * 950mm (effectively 2000 * 750 when
you allow for the 200mm overlap).

Calculator tells me that coverage by OSB is 1.984533333 times that of the
Coroline.

2 sheets of Coraline cost 24.53.

Hmmm.....18mm OSB is cheaper than Coroline and probably more robust - have
to pay for the roofing felt as well but a felted roof on OSB should come in
as cheap as a Coroline roof.

When the tiles come free, I then get a tiled roof over the felt which should
last a lot longer than a felt roof!

Looks like a plan - but can anyone come up with something even cheaper?

Cheers

Dave R

P.S. just checked on sarking boards and it says you can lay the insulation
on top of the sarking then lay the tiles on that. Not sure about this -
might be too fancy for a simple shed.

Old September 13th 09, 07:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 13, 3:48*pm, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
"NT" wrote in message

[...]

Use 1/2" chipboard under the felt rather than ply, its very cheap and
is fine for 10yrs. At tiling time its easy to knock it off. The
downside with chip versus ply is that once the felt leaks, the chip
doesnt last long.

NT
Old September 13th 09, 07:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
[...]

if overllapped about 50%, will stay sound for abpout 3-4 years., and
waterproof with degradation about 7-8.

NT

Old September 13th 09, 07:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

cos you are senile and insane, and live in Leeds?