Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drilling down internal wall from loft

I'm attempting to feed some low voltage cabling down an internal wall, I've managed to get a some 22mm holes in the cavity but I'm unable to see any noggins clearly. It looks like it could be plaster dust but it feels a lot tougher than that. I'm not sure what's down there (pictu https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/...207_164305.jpg)

I've tried with a couple of hex extensions and the spade bit which I drilled through the top plate with but it locks up my cordless drill.

Any suggestions?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2016 20:32, Humza wrote:
I'm attempting to feed some low voltage cabling down an internal wall, I've managed to get a some 22mm holes in the cavity but I'm unable to see any noggins clearly. It looks like it could be plaster dust but it feels a lot tougher than that. I'm not sure what's down there (pictu https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/...207_164305.jpg)

I've tried with a couple of hex extensions and the spade bit which I drilled through the top plate with but it locks up my cordless drill.

Any suggestions?

I had this problem, I needed 40mm holes through the noggins across the
cavity, I found a five foot long bit of steel gas barrel, smashed a rag
bolt into the drill end, put a forstner bit in the other end and cut and
bent the end of the gas barrel to grip on the openings in the forstner
bit, used a GBFO mains drill to grip the threaded bit of the rag bolt
and at the slowest speed drilled through the obstructions, I had
previously used a vacuum with a piece of plastic conduit as a nozzle to
clean out the dust and crap from the top of the noggin and set up an
led torch so I could see down the cavity. A long slog, but it worked.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

One method is to locate the noggins by tapping the wall. Then cut out a small section of the PB across the noggin a few inches either side of it. Drill either at a very shallow angle or notch the noggin after you have passed the cable through and capped it with a metal cable protector replace the small section of PB and fill and make good.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2016 13:59, Tricky Dicky wrote:
One method is to locate the noggins by tapping the wall. Then cut out a small section of the PB across the noggin a few inches either side of it. Drill either at a very shallow angle or notch the noggin after you have passed the cable through and capped it with a metal cable protector replace the small section of PB and fill and make good.

I think this would be my own preferred method especially no I have a
"Multitool" which should leave a perfectly sized patch to be glued back
into the hole.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2016 14:19, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
On 08/12/2016 13:59, Tricky Dicky wrote:
One method is to locate the noggins by tapping the wall. Then cut out a small section of the PB across the noggin a few inches either side of it. Drill either at a very shallow angle or notch the noggin after you have passed the cable through and capped it with a metal cable protector replace the small section of PB and fill and make good.

I think this would be my own preferred method especially no I have a
"Multitool" which should leave a perfectly sized patch to be glued back
into the hole.

That's what I've done in the past*, but I have never mastered the art of
making the repair completely invisible.

*
The only exception was with a non load bearing pre-fabricated wall that
consisted of 2 sheets of PB separated by a cardboard "grid" - with that
it was possible to mash a way through from the top using a long iron bar.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 8 Dec 2016 14:19:57 +0000, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

On 08/12/2016 13:59, Tricky Dicky wrote:
One method is to locate the noggins by tapping the wall. Then cut out a small section of the PB across the noggin a few inches either side of it. Drill either at a very shallow angle or notch the noggin after you have passed the cable through and capped it with a metal cable protector replace the small section of PB and fill and make good.

I think this would be my own preferred method especially no I have a
"Multitool" which should leave a perfectly sized patch to be glued back
into the hole.

Done this with a ceiling - cut at an angle so that the patch doesn't fall
through th hole. As its natural fit would then be slightly sunken, putting
on a good bead of adhesive allows you to press it in until flush.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Phil L
writes
wrote:

That's what I've done in the past*, but I have never mastered the art
of making the repair completely invisible.

If you hold your saw on an angle, the piece coming out will be wedge shaped,
but slightly smaller due to material lost during cutting. When you stick it
back in place, it will be recessed a few mm below the surface but wedged in,
meaning you can then fill it flush

Worth knowing currently. Ta!

--
Tim Lamb