Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plaster tile adhesive

I was talking with a tiler today, he says he's used plaster as a tile
adhesive before. He used thistle, plastered the wall, and reckoned he
then had about 2 hours to place the tiles straight onto the plaster,
and it worked fine. Looks like we have a good candidate for an
unproven but probably viable low cost tile adhesive.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Aug, 20:37, NT wrote:
I was talking with a tiler today, he says he's used plaster as a tile
adhesive before. He used thistle, plastered the wall, and reckoned he
then had about 2 hours to place the tiles straight onto the plaster,
and it worked fine. Looks like we have a good candidate for an
unproven but probably viable low cost tile adhesive.

NT

Was he wearing chaps and spurs?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 23, 8:24*pm, Bolted wrote:
On 22 Aug, 20:37, NT wrote:

I was talking with a tiler today, he says he's used plaster as a tile
adhesive before. He used thistle, plastered the wall, and reckoned he
then had about 2 hours to place the tiles straight onto the plaster,
and it worked fine. Looks like we have a good candidate for an
unproven but probably viable low cost tile adhesive.

NT

Was he wearing chaps and spurs?

he reckons it worked fine.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT coughed up some electrons that declared:

On Aug 23, 8:24*pm, Bolted wrote:
On 22 Aug, 20:37, NT wrote:

I was talking with a tiler today, he says he's used plaster as a tile
adhesive before. He used thistle, plastered the wall, and reckoned he
then had about 2 hours to place the tiles straight onto the plaster,
and it worked fine. Looks like we have a good candidate for an
unproven but probably viable low cost tile adhesive.

NT

Was he wearing chaps and spurs?

he reckons it worked fine.

NT

I wonder if it's that much different to the old way of mounting tiles direct
on some sort of render mix - well, something that looked like sand and
cement...

OK - gypsum is not so water stable. But neither's plasterboard and people
stick tiles on that.

Can't help feeling it would be easier to use tile adhesive - just in having
more than the claimed 2 hours working time - wonder what he does if he gets
behind schedule and the plaster is going off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 23, 8:24*pm, Bolted wrote:
On 22 Aug, 20:37, NT wrote:

[...]

I guess if that happened he could resort to using tile adhesive for
the rest, or a light smear of fresh plaster

NT

Tile Adhesive Thomarse UK diy 6 May 7th 08 11:16 PM
Removal of Tile Perfect Ceramic Tile Adhesive & Grout eganders Home Repair 0 January 27th 08 01:33 PM
Tile adhesive F UK diy 3 February 14th 06 09:56 AM
Construction Adhesive on Plaster Bernie Hunt Home Repair 4 November 15th 05 11:40 PM
Which is the best tile adhesive john Smith UK diy 6 February 20th 05 10:01 PM