Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default floorboard sanding

in our current house we paid £400 to have about 35 sq m of floor
sanded and varnished. We now want to do our new (Victorian) house
which has about 120 square metres. We are considering doing it
ourselves.

You seem to be able to hire a sander for about £30 a day.

Are there any hidden pitfalls to doing this ourselves?

many thanks,

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Robert

RobertL wrote:
in our current house we paid £400 to have about 35 sq m of floor
sanded and varnished. We now want to do our new (Victorian) house
which has about 120 square metres. We are considering doing it
ourselves.

You seem to be able to hire a sander for about £30 a day.

Are there any hidden pitfalls to doing this ourselves?

It is very, very messy !

A couple of houses ago we sanded the hallway and the front room
- both had rather nice original oak parquet flooring..

It was hard as nails g - and we got through lots of the sanding sheets
- and filled the place with sawdust!

It's quite a fiddle to get a decent finish around the edges (there's
another rotary sanding tool for doing this with)

You'll need to drive the nails below the final surface fo the
floorboards, otherwise they'll rip the sanding sheets to pieces.

I think if I was to do it again I wouldn't g - might be simpler if
you're only sanding pine floorboards - but it'll still be messy!

Good luck!
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 5, 11:56*am, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
HI Robert

RobertL wrote:
[...]

Were you using belt sander ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Do it before you move *anything* into the house.

It's fairly hard work and very, very dusty.

You know how fit you are, whether you can lift the machine around etc
(30Kg-ish). If you have respiratory problems or significant back
problems, you might want to give it a miss.

Otherwise it's not particularly demanding on skill, but to get a high
standard of finish does require you to be meticulous - retract every
nail, secure anything that's loose, repair any damaged boards *before
you start sanding* and then get all the dust out before you start
varnishing.

One person can completely sand 2 rooms a day, including all the edging
- if you're less meticulous, and really go for it, maybe double that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Aug, 13:05, RubberBiker wrote:

You know how fit you are, whether you can lift the machine around etc
(30Kg-ish). If you have respiratory problems or significant back
problems, you might want to give it a miss.

I did a two-room job once when I had serious RSI (couldn't write with
either arm). That was very far from being fun 8-( (friends, I'd
promised it to them long in advance)

Fourty quid (yes, really) on some _good_ antivibration gloves is worth
it (try Arco, Screwfix's are crap).

Otherwise search this newsgroup, the topic is a regular.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Aug, 13:05, RubberBiker wrote:

One person can completely sand 2 rooms a day, including all the edging
- if you're less meticulous, and really go for it, maybe double that.

Half that if it's 1930s and you've got that wide border of tarry paint
around where a rug would have been. Also double the amount of coarse
paper you get, and make sure there's a rubber block handy for cleaning
the sheets before they clog.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 03:38:11 -0700 (PDT), RobertL
wrote:

in our current house we paid £400 to have about 35 sq m of floor
sanded and varnished. We now want to do our new (Victorian) house
which has about 120 square metres. We are considering doing it
ourselves.

You seem to be able to hire a sander for about £30 a day.

Are there any hidden pitfalls to doing this ourselves?

many thanks,

Robert.

Pitfalls ...yes.giving yourself a lot of hard work and grief for
saving yourself some money ....The cost of the hire of a sander and an
edging sander,cost of sanding sheets ,then you have to pay for a
coating and you might need masks depending on what you use ..and you
need to get it right otherwise that means more expense .Is it really
worth it?

I have had 2 or 3 rooms done ( pine boards) by a local company and
they used modern sanders ( Swedish make I think) and I was gobsmacked
at how little mess they made .They said these sanders are the best in
the business . The rooms were completely cleared by me and I checked
for protruding nails etc ( and the guys did as well to make sure) and
I left them to it .Noisy it was though .They used a Two-Pack stuff by
Morrells ( they used masks) 2 coats put on with a roller and it stinks
to high Heaven but gives a good finish ( matt) ..especially the last
stuff they used ...mebbe a more up to date product ....and it dries
very quickly . Well worth paying the money .

--
Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address
but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Aug, 11:38, RobertL wrote:
in our current house we paid £400 to have about 35 sq m of floor
sanded and varnished. *We now want to do our new (Victorian) house
which has about 120 *square metres. We are considering doing it
ourselves.

You seem to be able to hire a sander for about £30 a day.

Are there any hidden pitfalls to doing this ourselves?

many thanks,

Robert

Don't use the sale-or-return sanding sheets supplied by the hire
company. You can buy them far more cheaply from Screwfix. As others
have said, search the uk.d-i-y archive on google groups, there's loads
of useful advice there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RobertL wrote:
[...]

Yes! - for the big areas, and the disk-sander-on-wheels for round the
edges...

Messy !

Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 5, 11:38*am, RobertL wrote:
in our current house we paid £400 to have about 35 sq m of floor
sanded and varnished. *We now want to do our new (Victorian) house
which has about 120 *square metres. We are considering doing it
ourselves.

You seem to be able to hire a sander for about £30 a day.

Are there any hidden pitfalls to doing this ourselves?

many thanks,

Robert

Sometimes the worms heave been eating the boards under the surface,
and your sanding exposes the worm tunnels and basically totally ruins
the floor. Sanding is rarely necessary for domestic houses, cleaning
and repairing as needed is far easier and gives a great finish.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
On Aug 5, 11:38 am, RobertL wrote:
in our current house we paid £400 to have about 35 sq m of floor
sanded and varnished. We now want to do our new (Victorian) house
which has about 120 square metres. We are considering doing it
ourselves.

You seem to be able to hire a sander for about £30 a day.

Are there any hidden pitfalls to doing this ourselves?

many thanks,

Robert

Sometimes the worms heave been eating the boards under the surface,
and your sanding exposes the worm tunnels and basically totally ruins
the floor. Sanding is rarely necessary for domestic houses, cleaning
and repairing as needed is far easier and gives a great finish.

NT

Modern floor sanders are pretty easy to use. I know of at least two
couples who have done 3/4 rooms in a weekend without a problem, and
there is no way that can be achieved without the machinery.
The only advice I'd give is to spend time going through the grits. It's
tempting to slap the varnish down as soon as it all looks clean and
feels smooth, but the minor imperfections (cross board scratches etc)
only show up after the finish has been applied, by which time it's too
late.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 6, 11:39*am, Stuart Noble wrote:
NT wrote:
[...]

yes, there is. I've done it. Mop, bucket, a little patience and some
spot repairs, and if you have black gloop, spot sanding. Its way
easier than a full sanding job, and the finish was excellent. A lot
less work, cost and risk.

NT

Help please sanding staircase - sanding disc grades? [email protected] Woodturning 4 July 24th 07 07:07 PM
Floorboard removing Vass UK diy 5 February 4th 06 02:32 AM
Floorboard clips? Tom Corcoran UK diy 7 July 20th 05 02:58 AM
How well do the powerless sanding tools work on sanding the inside of bowls? George Saridakis Woodturning 5 February 8th 05 11:48 PM
Floorboard sanding rexposed some woodworm tunnels Frank Watson UK diy 2 August 15th 03 10:47 PM