Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default water damage to wooden window frame

Hello

Hoping for some advice.

We have a double glazed wooden window frame in our bathroom in the
house we have bought. It gets splash from the shower that massively
damaged the internal wooden sill turning it to black powder/rot?. We
pulled off the sill to find that the actual window frame had also been
damaged at the bottom where the sill would have butted up to..

The wood seems to have shrunk/cracked/receeded and is soft like balsa
wood. And can be broken off if wanted. This damage does does not
extend all the way to the glass but a fair way up. The wood is now dry
however.

I was told just to prime the wooden frame where exposed and damaged,
fill a void in front of the frame (where the sill rested on before)
with expanding foam and put on another sill.

I was wondering if the frame needs more than priming as it is so soft
and their are some significant "cracks".

Cheers for any advice

nomit

Posted to uk.d-i-y

nome wrote:
[...]

I scrape out what I can with a bluntish chisel
then brush on Ronseal Wet Rot Wood Hardener
(comes in a green tin)
then use foam,
then wood and car body filler or plastic wood.

Last year I used plaster cement cos its a lot cheaper
but it cracks so that was a waste of time and money.

And because the damp was coming from the outside
(and they hadnt been painted for many many years)
I poked through holes to the inside
and left them there for many months
so the wood could dry out to the inside of the house.

(But your damp seems to have been coming from inside,
from the shower and condensation, and been trapped in there)

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nome" wrote in message
[...]

I would be tempted to make the new cill from uPVC panel, fit sloping gently
to the front and seal with mastic. As long as whatever is underneath is dry
and stable it will then stay that way.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not

Posted to uk.d-i-y

nome wrote:
[...]

Unless aesthetics come into it, I'd bite the bullet and replace it with
a pvc window. It sounds like an ongoing patch-up job otherwise.

If repairing, a standard pvc sill might be a better bet than wood. Above
that, I'd chop out everything that could be chopped and replace with car
body filler. This can be relatively painless if you a) buy the filler at
the right price (not Screwfix or TS) and b) use formers to create flat
surfaces you don't have to sand.