Green flakey stuff on Radiator valve

Old July 21st 09, 09:05 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Green flakey stuff on Radiator valve

Just spotted some greern flakey residue on the stubby copper pipes
that come out of the floor into a first floor radiator. i.e. just
under the valve. I've got it on two rads. I can't feel any water but
could it be the start of a leak or is it something else?

Painters10
Old July 22nd 09, 01:09 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Painters10 wrote:
Just spotted some greern flakey residue on the stubby copper pipes
that come out of the floor into a first floor radiator. i.e. just
under the valve. I've got it on two rads. I can't feel any water but
could it be the start of a leak or is it something else?

It's most likely a very slow leak, ie water is slowly leaking but
evaporating before you can detect it, leaving residue. The green stuff
is the effect of corrosion on copper.