DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Green flakey stuff on Radiator valve (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/282849-green-flakey-stuff-radiator-valve.html)

Painters10 July 21st 09 09:05 PM

Green flakey stuff on Radiator valve

Just spotted some greern flakey residue on the stubby copper pipes
that come out of the floor into a first floor radiator. i.e. just
under the valve. I've got it on two rads. I can't feel any water but
could it be the start of a leak or is it something else?

Painters10

Lobster July 22nd 09 01:09 PM

Painters10 wrote:
Just spotted some greern flakey residue on the stubby copper pipes
that come out of the floor into a first floor radiator. i.e. just
under the valve. I've got it on two rads. I can't feel any water but
could it be the start of a leak or is it something else?

It's most likely a very slow leak, ie water is slowly leaking but
evaporating before you can detect it, leaving residue. The green stuff
is the effect of corrosion on copper.