Name for latching door stop/stay

Old July 13th 09, 08:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
RJS

Default Name for latching door stop/stay

I'm looking for a supplier of a type of latching door stop/stay that I
have seen on boats. Without a meaningful name the search is proving
difficult. I'll try to describe the gadget:

The idea is that the door opens to, say, 90deg and comes up against a
bracket level with the top of the door and bolted to the hinge wall.
As it approaches the bracket (and attached buffer) the top of the door
lifts and passes below a weighted latch. This latch drops in front of
the door preventing it from closing. The latch is lifted to allow the
door to close. The bracket looks a bit like a one of the mounts for
an aerial mast IIRC.

Any ideas?

This is intended to prevent the (aluminium) door opening too far and
bending the frame where it encounters the brickwork around the doorway
- guess how I know that this will happen? At the moment SWMBO is in
a sulk because I warned her of the risk 10 mins before she allowed the
wind to catch the door sigh.

There is too great a space below the door for any stops and I don't
want a nasty post sticking up from the patio.

Of course, I will be delighted to read of any better/simpler/more
elegant solutions.

TIA

Richard

Old July 13th 09, 11:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

RJS wrote:
I'm looking for a supplier of a type of latching door stop/stay that I
have seen on boats. Without a meaningful name the search is proving
difficult. I'll try to describe the gadget:

The idea is that the door opens to, say, 90deg and comes up against a
bracket level with the top of the door and bolted to the hinge wall.
As it approaches the bracket (and attached buffer) the top of the door
lifts and passes below a weighted latch. This latch drops in front of
the door preventing it from closing. The latch is lifted to allow the
door to close. The bracket looks a bit like a one of the mounts for
an aerial mast IIRC.

Do you mean the sort of clip that holds the flap in a pub counter in the up
position? Can't think what they are called though.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Old July 13th 09, 11:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
RJS wrote:
I'm looking for a supplier of a type of latching door stop/stay that
I have seen on boats. Without a meaningful name the search is
proving difficult. I'll try to describe the gadget:

The idea is that the door opens to, say, 90deg and comes up against a
bracket level with the top of the door and bolted to the hinge wall.
As it approaches the bracket (and attached buffer) the top of the
door lifts and passes below a weighted latch. This latch drops in
front of the door preventing it from closing. The latch is lifted
to allow the door to close. The bracket looks a bit like a one of
the mounts for an aerial mast IIRC.

Do you mean the sort of clip that holds the flap in a pub counter in
the up position? Can't think what they are called though.

They might be called 'lift-up bar counter hatches' :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Old July 13th 09, 11:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that The Medway Handyman formulated :
The Medway Handyman wrote:
RJS wrote:
I'm looking for a supplier of a type of latching door stop/stay that
I have seen on boats. Without a meaningful name the search is
proving difficult. I'll try to describe the gadget:

The idea is that the door opens to, say, 90deg and comes up against a
bracket level with the top of the door and bolted to the hinge wall.
As it approaches the bracket (and attached buffer) the top of the
door lifts and passes below a weighted latch. This latch drops in
front of the door preventing it from closing. The latch is lifted
to allow the door to close. The bracket looks a bit like a one of
the mounts for an aerial mast IIRC.

Do you mean the sort of clip that holds the flap in a pub counter in
the up position? Can't think what they are called though.

They might be called 'lift-up bar counter hatches' :-)

There is also another similar idea, which I have found very effective
on both of the small doors of my garage...

A flat steel bar, pivoted onto the frame so it can fold out of the way
as the door closes. As the door is opened a latch drops down which
prevents the door opening further and retains it open. You pull a cord
to allow the door to be closed.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Old July 15th 09, 08:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 July, 23:08, Owain wrote:
On 13 July, 20:49, RJS wrote:

I'm looking for a supplier of a type of latching door stop/stay that I
have seen on boats. *

Similar things are used for lift-up bar counter hatcheshttp://www.bizrate..co.uk/homehardware/oid319249976.html

Alternative is to use some form of restrictor to prevent the door
opening too far, these are used on windows.

How about a shrub in a tub on the patio?

Owain

Bingo to the catch. I obviously don't spend enough time in pubs ;-)
But I have seen this catch on boat doors - honest!

The tub would prevent the over-opening of the door, but not prevent it
from slamming shut. With possibly unrepeatable consequences for my
deaf cat!

Ta

Richard
Old July 15th 09, 10:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Owain writes
On 15 July, 20:16, Richard Savage wrote:
Alternative is to use some form of restrictor to prevent the door
opening too far, these are used on windows.

The tub would prevent the over-opening of the door, but not prevent it
from slamming shut. *With possibly unrepeatable consequences for my
deaf cat!

A pneumatic damper like are used on hatchback car doors?

AKA dashpot

Richard Savage ? - blast from the past there ....

--
geoff
Old July 19th 09, 01:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 15, 10:15*pm, geoff wrote:
In message
,
Owain writesOn 15 July, 20:16, Richard Savage wrote:
Alternative is to use some form of restrictor to prevent the door
opening too far, these are used on windows.
The tub would prevent the over-opening of the door, but not prevent it
from slamming shut. *With possibly unrepeatable consequences for my
deaf cat!

A pneumatic damper like are used on hatchback car doors?

AKA dashpot

Richard Savage ? - blast from the past there ....

--
geoff

Hello Geoff

Not so very far into the past, but indeed am still Richard Savage!
IIRC we corresponded about Scantronic alarms?

Rgds

Richard

Door stay problem - please help! [email protected] UK diy 8 October 22nd 06 07:32 PM
Door stay? Harry Bloomfield UK diy 7 October 8th 06 08:24 PM
Door/shutter stay Stuart Noble UK diy 0 July 4th 06 07:39 PM
Help - Freezer door won't stay shut [email protected] Home Repair 5 July 10th 05 06:28 PM
Garage Door Wont Stay Up Steve UK diy 12 February 24th 05 05:22 PM