Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Kitchen Refurbishment

The wife has picked the units and there going on the longest "L"
She fancies that 13mm flooring
and tiles between the floor and wall units

Any advice would be appreciated as to correct order to do work

"L" shaped kitchen built as an extension on a terraced house

External roof recovered and new Velux skylight fitted

To do
Make good round Velux and replaster ceiling

My intention is to
Fit base and wall units
Fit flooring, leaving expansion gap against wall
As all the articles I have seen say the flooring needs to move, do I
lay the flooring upto the units leaving an expansion gap or do you lay
the flooring under the units to the opposite wall?????

The next intention was to tile the wall and then fit the worktops
Is this correct?????

Many Thanks

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walford wrote:

The wife has picked the units and there going on the longest "L"
She fancies that 13mm flooring
and tiles between the floor and wall units

Any advice would be appreciated as to correct order to do work

My intention is to
Fit base and wall units
Fit flooring, leaving expansion gap against wall

I'd lay it flush againt the wall, after taking off the skirting board,
put the skirting back on after, makes a neat finish. Have the opposite
side of the flooring almost touching the floor unit legs. (this is
assuming you are not having an open bottom, but fitting the
plinth/kickboards). This will give any expansion needed, though in
practices, I have never noticed any expansion/contraction on my
flooring. The plinths/kickboards will likely to be too tall, so will
need 10mm or so taking off them, not a difficult job.

The next intention was to tile the wall and then fit the worktops
Is this correct?????

I'd always do worktop first.Put the tiles 2mm above the worktop level,
then you can squeeze silicone into the gap to create a good seal.

Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:
Steve Walford wrote:

[...]

Agreed. And fit the wall units so that the distance between worktop & wall
unit is a multiple of uncut tiles - looks better & saves work. Or tile
above worktops & fit wall units flush with top of tiles.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walford writes:

My intention is to
Fit base and wall units
Fit flooring, leaving expansion gap against wall

Having had a kitchen where someone tiled after fitting the units,
I always lay the floor wall-to-wall first. However, I might do this
the other way around if I expected the units to outlast the floor,
but with the ceramic floor tiles I have used, I expect them to
outlast the units.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wibbled:

In article ,
Steve Walford writes:

My intention is to
Fit base and wall units
Fit flooring, leaving expansion gap against wall

Having had a kitchen where someone tiled after fitting the units,
I always lay the floor wall-to-wall first. However, I might do this
the other way around if I expected the units to outlast the floor,
but with the ceramic floor tiles I have used, I expect them to
outlast the units.

Agree - I would certainly fully lay the floor first, wall to wall.

With the walls, it's a bit wasteful to tile everywhere, so I'd fit the units
and tile to them.

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Steve Walford writes:
My intention is to
Fit base and wall units
Fit flooring, leaving expansion gap against wall

Having had a kitchen where someone tiled after fitting the units,
I always lay the floor wall-to-wall first. However, I might do this
the other way around if I expected the units to outlast the floor,
but with the ceramic floor tiles I have used, I expect them to
outlast the units.

If you want to save tiles, leave them out directly under the units, but
never tile TO the units. Makes getting a splashproof seal very hard, and
leads to dirt and water getting trapped there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

With the walls, it's a bit wasteful to tile everywhere, so I'd fit the units
and tile to them.

Definitely. My tip is to seal the back of the worktop to the wall with
silicone BEFORE tiling, and then tile over that.

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 08:09:40 -0700 (PDT), Owain
wrote:

On 19 July, 12:20, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
If you want to save tiles, leave them out directly under the units, but
never tile TO the units. Makes getting a splashproof seal very hard, and
leads to dirt and water getting trapped there.

Use cheap tiles (or whatever) of the same thickness under the units

Thanks to all for advice

Steve

Partial kitchen refurbishment chad UK diy 3 October 6th 08 12:24 PM
bathroom refurbishment rocky UK diy 6 November 19th 07 10:09 AM
Micrometer refurbishment (partial) [email protected] Metalworking 4 August 25th 07 01:37 PM
Desk refurbishment Hugh UK diy 11 December 31st 06 04:39 PM
Shed Refurbishment Christopher Key UK diy 14 August 4th 05 10:23 AM