Posted to uk.d-i-y
jal jal is offline

Default Paint for "sealed" wood surface ..."micropore"?

We had some DG windows fitted in our extension about 17 years ago.
These have wooden frames, which match those in the main (1960s) house.
The frames are (presumably) pressure treated for sealing against rot
etc, but they're (naturally) wood coloured, so I've painted them white
since they were fitted (to match the rest of the house).

I find I have to repaint parts of the frames almost every year, often
needing to strip down to 'bare' wood,because the paint blisters up, off
the treated wood. This is worst at the front, which is south facing and
experiences the greatest temperature extremes.

Wasn't there some kind of ?micropore? paint invented some years ago
which claimed to penetrate wood and not require repainting until, like,
10 years or so?

Anyone have any experience / suggestions please?

Cheers
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jal wrote:
[...]

Does this happen with oil based paint or water based? What you might
need is something with a strong solvent to etch its way into whatever
the original coating was.
I think microporous was an 80s buzzword. Pile of crap IME.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 15:12:13 +0100, jal wrote:

Wasn't there some kind of ?micropore? paint invented some years ago
which claimed to penetrate wood and not require repainting until, like,
10 years or so?

Are you thinking of "Ranch Paint"?

It was a nice and long lasting one but not 10 years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , EricP
writes
On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 15:12:13 +0100, jal wrote:

Wasn't there some kind of ?micropore? paint invented some years ago
which claimed to penetrate wood and not require repainting until, like,
10 years or so?

Are you thinking of "Ranch Paint"?

It was a nice and long lasting one but not 10 years.

It has worked well for me but it has become more difficult to get hold
of and had been replaced in the sheds by International 10 year Exterior
Gloss which is also microporous. The finish is far more glossy than the
Ranch paint (also by International) which had a bit more of a soft sheen
which I liked.

I would use it again for outdoor woodwork.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yup, we fell for that one didn't we. ****e.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jal jal is offline

In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

Stuart Noble wrote:
I think microporous was an 80s buzzword. Pile of crap IME.

Yup, we fell for that one didn't we. ****e.

(OP here): well I might have fallen for it, if the prices they were
asking didn't far outreach what I was willing to pay! :-)

Bearing in mind what Fred has said above ...

It has worked well for me but it has become more difficult to get hold
of and had been replaced in the sheds by International 10 year Exterior
Gloss which is also microporous. The finish is far more glossy than the
Ranch paint (also by International) which had a bit more of a soft sheen
which I liked.

... I might fall for that one this time around.

By the way, yes it's oil-based paint I'm talking about. After
l-o-o-o-ng experience, I decided a few years ago that Dulux
"Professional" stuff (undercoat and topcoat) is the only paint for my
particular techniques.

Thanks a lot chaps
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

We had new timber DG windows fitted about 9-10 years ago. They are
pressure treated redwood but the installer specified they were painted
with one coat Sikkens Onol followed by two coats Sikkens Rubbol. I
believe these paints, at the time, were described as microporous. They
have NEVER blistered nor cracked....this was a common problem on the
old wooden windows with traditional (usually Permoglaze)
undercoat/gloss paint. The Sikkens paint 'wears' rather than
cracks/flakes. My usual maintenance is to check them each summer and
touch up any thin areas. 2 years ago, I judged the east and south
facing units to be worthy of full repaint. All were given a quick wash
over with sugarsoap solution, a very light sanding and ONE coat of
Sikkens Rubbol Satura. A much easier task than the previous job of
rubbing/scraping down, priming, undercoating and then glossing.
I would not use anything else now. Any new exterior timber is
similarly treated. I do not know how well the Sikkens system works on
previously painted surfaces.
It is about £15-20 per litre but is worth every penny IMHO
Please reply to group - email address is not monitored
Ian