Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Painting radiators

What's the best way to key the paint on steel panel radiators before
repainting? Sandpaper, wet or dry, flapwheel, something chemical?

I want to use emulsion to match the walls and then cover with
International Radiator Clearcoat.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Twydell wrote:
What's the best way to key the paint on steel panel radiators before
repainting? Sandpaper, wet or dry, flapwheel, something chemical?

None of the above.
Use steel wool and lightly rub down, especially inside the grooves

I want to use emulsion to match the walls and then cover with
International Radiator Clearcoat.

If you rub too hard and take it down to bare metal, rust spots will show
through emulsion, touch these up with oil based undercoat prior to
emulsioning

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Phil L
writes
Peter Twydell wrote:
What's the best way to key the paint on steel panel radiators before
repainting? Sandpaper, wet or dry, flapwheel, something chemical?

None of the above.
Use steel wool and lightly rub down, especially inside the grooves

Ah, the one thing I didn't think of.

I want to use emulsion to match the walls and then cover with
International Radiator Clearcoat.

If you rub too hard and take it down to bare metal, rust spots will show
through emulsion, touch these up with oil based undercoat prior to
emulsioning

Thanks Phil.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Twydell wrote:
In message , Phil L
writes
Peter Twydell wrote:
What's the best way to key the paint on steel panel radiators before
repainting? Sandpaper, wet or dry, flapwheel, something chemical?

None of the above.
Use steel wool and lightly rub down, especially inside the grooves

Ah, the one thing I didn't think of.

But wash it off veeeeery carefully afterwards, or tiny flecks of steel wool
will suddenly bloom into rust in the wet emulsion.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
Peter Twydell wrote:
In message , Phil L
writes
Peter Twydell wrote:
What's the best way to key the paint on steel panel radiators before
repainting? Sandpaper, wet or dry, flapwheel, something chemical?

None of the above.
Use steel wool and lightly rub down, especially inside the grooves

Ah, the one thing I didn't think of.

But wash it off veeeeery carefully afterwards, or tiny flecks of steel wool
will suddenly bloom into rust in the wet emulsion.

That's why I use wet sanding sponges. One radiator I did that way, more
than 15 years ago, still looks good.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 16:52:06 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

Peter Twydell wrote:
What's the best way to key the paint on steel panel radiators before
repainting? Sandpaper, wet or dry, flapwheel, something chemical?

None of the above.
Use steel wool and lightly rub down, especially inside the grooves

I want to use emulsion to match the walls and then cover with
International Radiator Clearcoat.

If you rub too hard and take it down to bare metal, rust spots will show
through emulsion, touch these up with oil based undercoat prior to
emulsioning

Can you really emulsion a radiator and hope it stays on?

Mike P
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

wrote:

Peter Twydell wrote:
What's the best way to key the paint on steel panel radiators before
repainting? Sandpaper, wet or dry, flapwheel, something chemical?

None of the above.
Use steel wool and lightly rub down, especially inside the grooves

I want to use emulsion to match the walls and then cover with
International Radiator Clearcoat.

If you rub too hard and take it down to bare metal, rust spots will show
through emulsion, touch these up with oil based undercoat prior to
emulsioning

Can you really emulsion a radiator and hope it stays on?

Mike P

Ours are all painted in emulsion (except a couple of replacements that
have not yet been painted). Just two adults so maybe an easier time for
them than a house full of children and animals. Some had an additional
coat of acrylic lacquer; some not. All painted using a small roller and
ordinary emulsion. All fine.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Peter Twydell wrote:
What's the best way to key the paint on steel panel radiators before
repainting? Sandpaper, wet or dry, flapwheel, something chemical?

None of the above.
Use steel wool and lightly rub down, especially inside the grooves

I want to use emulsion to match the walls and then cover with
International Radiator Clearcoat.

If you rub too hard and take it down to bare metal, rust spots will
show through emulsion, touch these up with oil based undercoat prior
to emulsioning

Can you really emulsion a radiator and hope it stays on?

Mike P

This is what happens when people believe the crap they see in B&Q - 'kitchen
ceiling paint', 'bathroom paint' - as if no other paint is suitable!!

FWIW, you can paint anything you like, with whatever paint you like,
providing it's indoors - I've witnessed lounge ceilings painted with gloss
and a tumble drier painted with pink emulsion - both looked revolting but
the paint stayed on.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L coughed up some electrons that declared:

wrote:

Peter Twydell wrote:
[...]

When I grew up, all our rads were done in gloss - which looked OK, but was a
bit wiffy for a while the first time they were used...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Peter Twydell wrote:
[...]

Bog standard for me. In three houses over 36 years, I have always used std
gloss paint on rads. This current house, which we bought new in '82, has had
some of the rads. painted twice since then (children, you know) with no
problems.

Ventilation is required and I have deliberately wasted energy at times with
windows open to drive out the solvents, (one child was an asthmatic in his
early years).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Peter Twydell wrote:
[...]

My question was ... can you paint a rad with EMULSION paint and expect
it to stay on when the rad heats up and expands ?

The Bathroom and Kitchen paint that you see in the sheds are more
suitable for those rooms than just matt emulsion.
They are wipable and will withstand a steamy atmosphere and not absorb
moisture and peel off.

Mike P
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Peter Twydell wrote:
[...]

Apparently some gloss paints yellow quicker when they get hot.
You can get special radiator paint that is supposed to resist this
yellowing.

Next time I get a (painted) radiator for the bathroom, I shall paint
it again myself before I fit it. The paint jobs always seem poor and
soon rust on sharp edges in the
bathroom environment.

Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Peter Twydell wrote:
[...]

can you paint a rad with ANY KIND OF paint and expect it to stay on when the
rad heats up and expands ?

The answer is yes

The Bathroom and Kitchen paint that you see in the sheds are more
suitable for those rooms than just matt emulsion.
They are wipable and will withstand a steamy atmosphere and not absorb
moisture and peel off.

Whatever did we do before these were invented? - oh I remember, we used
emulsion paint, which was wipable and didn't peel off