Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default D-I-Y Aircon install systems..

Anyone ever done this or had any experience of this sort of thing?..

The wall mounted type with external compressor and the pipes between
them, with the pre charged refrigerant?...

TIA...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 18:11:23 +0100, tony sayer
wrote:

Anyone ever done this or had any experience of this sort of thing?..

Yes

The wall mounted type with external compressor and the pipes between
them, with the pre charged refrigerant?...

The ones I have done did not use the snapfit connectors but copper
flared pipe. I used an old refrigerator compressor as a vacuum pump
before releasing the refrigerant. In both cases the pipe connectors
needed further tightening after leak testing with soapy water. Both
have lasted 3 years so far.

Instructions tend to be a work of fiction and usually seem to apply to
a different model by a different manufacturer sold in a different
country for a different purpose. Apart from that they are quite
clear.

You need a core drill to make a hole for all the pipe work and need to
be _really_ careful when bending the pipe - it easily kinks. I used
some brown guttering fitted over he pipes to hide the pipes on the
outside of the house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Peter Parry
scribeth thus
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that. There is an expired system there this is a small
community radio station thats always short of the readies and they
simply can't afford to pay for a new installed system being quoted silly
money for repairing the old one and around 2000 plus for a new. Its to
keep there equipment room cooled. I'd use fans if we could but there are
noise and fire complications re that.

Course removing the Gas from the existing system would need to be done I
believe by someone licensed but it could stay in position as its not in
anyone's way, in fact there is a better place where it should have been
put. All very simple to install holes would be very easy to cut etc..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 21:45:24 +0100, tony sayer
wrote:

Thanks for that. There is an expired system there this is a small
community radio station thats always short of the readies and they
simply can't afford to pay for a new installed system being quoted silly
money for repairing the old one and around 2000 plus for a new. Its to
keep there equipment room cooled. I'd use fans if we could but there are
noise and fire complications re that.

One of the ones I helped with is doing just that - keeping a server
room cool. They are really very simple EXCEPT for bending the pipes
which has to be done with great care.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 17:11:23 UTC, tony sayer wrote:

Anyone ever done this or had any experience of this sort of thing?..

The wall mounted type with external compressor and the pipes between
them, with the pre charged refrigerant?...

It's been discussed before...look back in the archives. I think the name
'Global' was mentioned.

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Peter Parry
scribeth thus
wrote:

Thanks for that. There is an expired system there this is a small
community radio station thats always short of the readies and they
simply can't afford to pay for a new installed system being quoted silly
money for repairing the old one and around 2000 plus for a new. Its to
keep there equipment room cooled. I'd use fans if we could but there are
noise and fire complications re that.

One of the ones I helped with is doing just that - keeping a server
room cool. They are really very simple EXCEPT for bending the pipes
which has to be done with great care.

Can you not use a bending spring where possible?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The split DIY systems are easy fit.

Just remember they are precharged for a specific length limit, and on
many systems you can not shorten the hose - you therefore have to coil
it behind the unit either inside or outside. Might be useful to
investigate if various lengths are available.

For domestic, I've never understood why they don't do an "all outside"
system. Where there is just a vent in the wall with an IR window for
the controller - you simply have it blowing cold air in or hot air in
depending on heat pump mode. No hoses to muck about with re kinking,
no seals to go bad, no installation hassle or finding free wall space
and so on. Instead they do "everything inside, just two vents outside"
at a huge increase in price, often reduced CoP and whacking great big
box inside.

Another note is Invertor systems are a bit more efficient.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

js.b1 wrote:

For domestic, I've never understood why they don't do an "all outside"
system. Where there is just a vent in the wall with an IR window for
the controller - you simply have it blowing cold air in or hot air in
depending on heat pump mode.

You haven't seen the huge protruding outdoor boxes that the Americans
(and the rest of the world for that matter) jam in a previously openable
sash window?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

js.b1 wrote:
The split DIY systems are easy fit.

Just remember they are precharged for a specific length limit, and on
many systems you can not shorten the hose - you therefore have to coil
it behind the unit either inside or outside. Might be useful to
investigate if various lengths are available.

For domestic, I've never understood why they don't do an "all outside"
system. Where there is just a vent in the wall with an IR window for
the controller - you simply have it blowing cold air in or hot air in
depending on heat pump mode. No hoses to muck about with re kinking,
no seals to go bad, no installation hassle or finding free wall space
and so on. Instead they do "everything inside, just two vents outside"
at a huge increase in price, often reduced CoP and whacking great big
box inside.

Like one of these?
http://www.roomairconditioners.us/wi...tioner-530.jpg

I guess because they are huge and only fit in a window!

I have seen the other type, where the whole unit is inside and there are
two vents to the outside, but these are not common, mainly used where
access to the outside is not possible/practical

The units mentioned by the OP are proper split units, where the
compressor and condenser coils are outside in a box, and you just have a
fan and the evaporator inside.
like this
http://www.global-b2b-network.com/di...onditioner.jpg

Toby...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tony sayer writes:

Anyone ever done this or had any experience of this sort of thing?..

The wall mounted type with external compressor and the pipes between
them, with the pre charged refrigerant?...

I've done two of them. I used the B&Q Airforce 1200 BTU/hr models
(although the design changed between the two I bought). Bought
them when B&Q had £100 off offer, and even though they charge
full VAT, they were still cheaper than all the places which charge
5% VAT (the rate applicable to heat pump heating devices).

Mine gets used for heating significantly more than for cooling,
but it is doing some cooling at the moment.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ah, yes, I know (usually sash) big box window units hanging out of
windows, but not what I had in mind.

I mean exactly as current "split load" units except the internal box
is mounted externally, weatherproof, with just twin 9" vents to the
inside.

No hoses, high reliability as no "self-seal connectors", just two core-
drill holes. Exact same form-factor as existing systems - just a
different metalwork box, internal grill with IR remote receiver,
minimal R&D.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 22:41:39 +0100, tony sayer
wrote:

In article , Peter Parry
scribeth thus

One of the ones I helped with is doing just that - keeping a server
room cool. They are really very simple EXCEPT for bending the pipes
which has to be done with great care.

Can you not use a bending spring where possible?..

No, the fittings on the end stops you. The pipe is soft drawn so it
bends easily in the hands - you just need to be very careful forming
the radius and avoiding moving the pipe so much it starts to work
harden. As the pipe usually comes with the insulation pre-fitted it
is easy to kink if you rush things.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Peter Parry
scribeth thus
On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 22:41:39 +0100, tony sayer
wrote:

In article , Peter Parry
scribeth thus

One of the ones I helped with is doing just that - keeping a server
room cool. They are really very simple EXCEPT for bending the pipes
which has to be done with great care.

Can you not use a bending spring where possible?..

No, the fittings on the end stops you. The pipe is soft drawn so it
bends easily in the hands - you just need to be very careful forming
the radius and avoiding moving the pipe so much it starts to work
harden. As the pipe usually comes with the insulation pre-fitted it
is easy to kink if you rush things.

Looking on some websites there are flaring kits around and they don't
seem that expensive, so I suppose if you were doing more then the one
etc;?..

Anyone know anything about the regs concerning old refrigerant gas
removal?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 23:09:07 +0100, Adrian C wrote:

js.b1 wrote:

For domestic, I've never understood why they don't do an "all outside"
system. Where there is just a vent in the wall with an IR window for
the controller - you simply have it blowing cold air in or hot air in
depending on heat pump mode.

You haven't seen the huge protruding outdoor boxes that the Americans
(and the rest of the world for that matter) jam in a previously openable
sash window?

We had one at our previous house - I uncermoniously threw it in the shed
as it was power-hungry, and looked like a piece of crap :-)

They are very common this side of the Pond, however. I'm not sure if their
inefficiency is down to the majority of them being old (i.e. design has
improved over the years), the poor sealing between them and the window, or
the level that they tend to be mounted at (i.e window height; perhaps
floor-level or ceiling-level AC does better)

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Jules writes:
We had one at our previous house - I uncermoniously threw it in the shed
as it was power-hungry, and looked like a piece of crap :-)

They are very common this side of the Pond, however. I'm not sure if their
inefficiency is down to the majority of them being old (i.e. design has
improved over the years), the poor sealing between them and the window, or
the level that they tend to be mounted at (i.e window height; perhaps
floor-level or ceiling-level AC does better)

A good proportion of their cooling effect seems to be to countract
the hot mains lead and plug they all seem to have on the left side
of the pond. ;-)

8 or 9 years ago when self-install aircon didn't exist over here, a
friend bought one of the through window ones in Frys (USA) and carried
it back on a plane as excess luggage. The excess luggage charge was
more than it cost, but still vastly cheaper than anything over here.
Last time I looked, they were still vastly cheaper than anything
here. So was driving across to France to buy one -- they're still
thought of as luxury items here, whereas they are bog standard
white goods in continental Europe, particularly as you get into
the warmer parts.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .
In article . com,
Jules writes:
[...]

They used to sell them in wickes but weren't popular.
I think they stopped selling them a couple of years ago.
They were about £250 last time I saw one.
I was going to fit one in my conservatory but I got a new one with opening
windows instead. 8-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 16:02:19 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article . com,
Jules writes:
We had one at our previous house - I uncermoniously threw it in the shed
as it was power-hungry, and looked like a piece of crap :-)

They are very common this side of the Pond, however. I'm not sure if their
inefficiency is down to the majority of them being old (i.e. design has
improved over the years), the poor sealing between them and the window, or
the level that they tend to be mounted at (i.e window height; perhaps
floor-level or ceiling-level AC does better)

A good proportion of their cooling effect seems to be to countract
the hot mains lead and plug they all seem to have on the left side
of the pond. ;-)

Ha ha! :-)

8 or 9 years ago when self-install aircon didn't exist over here, a
friend bought one of the through window ones in Frys (USA) and carried
it back on a plane as excess luggage.

Eek. Those things (at least the old ones) are *heavy*!

They're very easy to find second-hand in the US (plenty on freecycle, too)
- I think folk are finally waking up to the fact that they're utter crap
and that opening a few windows / shutting curtains / using a fan to
move air around is just as effective (and a lot cheaper).

cheers

Jules