Aldi generator

Old June 26th 09, 04:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aldi generator

Hello,

I see there is an 850w (peak), 650w continuous generator in Aldi.
There was a web site listed on the side of the box and I scribbled it
down but I've lost the piece of paper. Does anyone know who makes the
Powercraft tools for Aldi?

Has anyone used this generator? What are your opinions? Is it worth
having or is it better to buy a bigger, more expensive, four stroke
model? How clean is the output: is it pure sine wave? Will all
electronics be happy running from it? Is it noisy?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Old June 26th 09, 05:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

This is the company that sources a lot of Aldi's power tools. Don't
know whether that includes the genny.

http://www.walter-werkzeuge.com/en/

Here are the contact details for the service agent for the genny.
According to the homepage, they'll send you a manual, if that's any
use:

http://www.aldiwarranty.co.uk/search...ail.asp?id=906
Old June 26th 09, 06:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
mike writes
This is the company that sources a lot of Aldi's power tools. Don't
know whether that includes the genny.

http://www.walter-werkzeuge.com/en/

Here are the contact details for the service agent for the genny.
According to the homepage, they'll send you a manual, if that's any
use:

http://www.aldiwarranty.co.uk/search...ail.asp?id=906

If it's not an inverter type then it has to be pure sine wave doesn't it
or am I missing something?
--
Clint Sharp
Old June 26th 09, 07:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 June, 16:22, Stephen wrote:

Has anyone used this generator?

Didn't choose it, didn't buy it, avoid using the thing, but yes, I've
got one.

What are your opinions?

It's better than not having one. OTOH, I can pick up far better Honda
4 strokes S/H from farm auctions for a pittance, and they're bigger,
quieter, dead easy to service (buy a whole new GX120 at the next farm
auction!) and I suspect use less fuel too.

How clean is the output:

Same as nearly all motor gensets, it's pretty clean. Depends a bit on
the exciter (I believe there's some modern funniness), but they're all
"clean" in comparison to battery inverter output. For one thing, all
that ironmongery is a decent enough HF noise filter.
Old June 26th 09, 07:37 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen" wrote in message
Hello,

I see there is an 850w (peak), 650w continuous generator in Aldi.
There was a web site listed on the side of the box and I scribbled it
down but I've lost the piece of paper. Does anyone know who makes the
Powercraft tools for Aldi?

Has anyone used this generator? What are your opinions? Is it worth
having or is it better to buy a bigger, more expensive, four stroke
model? How clean is the output: is it pure sine wave? Will all
electronics be happy running from it? Is it noisy?

The aldi stuff is often rebadged Wolf gear.

Old June 26th 09, 08:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:

Has anyone used this generator? What are your opinions?

It's a bog-standard cheap Chinese two-stroke. They are available in
multiple colours with various stickers on them, but always the same
hardware. I've got one, it's useful, I can run a computer and printer on
it.

Is it worth having or is it better to buy a bigger, more expensive, four
stroke model? How clean is the output: is it pure sine wave? Will all
electronics be happy running from it? Is it noisy?

It's best used at between 10 and 50% of the power quoted (ie 65W to
325W, the 850W is a joke). Even so the 230V sockets are of poor quality
and I ended up replacing the 13A socket fitted to the generator with a
decent quality socket.
Old June 26th 09, 10:09 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen" wrote in message
Hello,

I see there is an 850w (peak), 650w continuous generator in Aldi.
There was a web site listed on the side of the box and I scribbled it
down but I've lost the piece of paper. Does anyone know who makes the
Powercraft tools for Aldi?

Has anyone used this generator? What are your opinions? Is it worth
having or is it better to buy a bigger, more expensive, four stroke
model? How clean is the output: is it pure sine wave? Will all
electronics be happy running from it? Is it noisy?

not got an aldi one, but bought one in germany a few years back when my
motorhome batteries died, cost me 80 euro's, but you can get em from B&Q for
50, or makro for 30 quid when they have em on sale (plus vat of course)

they are all the same internaly, 50cc 2 stroke engine, small genny head,
it's all one casting, so when the engine dies, you chuck it away, the output
is 'regulated' by a simple capacitor and of course the governer that keeps
it at the right speed, but that's all thats really needed,

as it's a alternator being spun at 3600 rpm or thereabouts, it's a pure sine
wave output, the only danger is when you first start it up and it's on
choke, and it runs out of fuel, then the engine speed will be varying, so
the output frequency will be varying too,

the 650 watt output is for a resistive load (tugsten/halogen light bulb,
simple heater etc) for motors the output is pretty low, think 350 watts has
been mentioned,

they are surprisingly quiet, think mine says 96DBA, but no way is it that
loud, it's not quite honda eu quiet, but it's not open frame contractors
generator loud either,

it sips fuel, mine runs for 6 to 8 hours on a tank of petroil... 4.5 litres,
and 80ml of 2 stroke oil, when i use mine it's running a 20 amp battery
charger mainly, and the laptop charger and my vinyl cutter,
i have inadvertantly had it powering the 1kw imersion heater element in the
calorifier, it bogged the engine down a little, but kept on running it along
with the battery charger which is what i put it on to run, voltage would
have been sagging quite a lot, but the charger will run on 90 to 280 volts,
and a frequancy from 30 to 400hz, and the imersion heater element couldent
care less what it gets fed,

Apparantly the 4 stroke versions of this genny are noisier, and use the same
ammount of fuel as they have an engine twice the size, but about the same
output,

the only thing the little 2 stroke gennies dont like is being lightly
loaded, they 4 stroke... i.e. missing every other firing stroke... that does
make them sound louder, when they have a load on them they purr along...
well sort of, but that's due to the cheapo carb that has to be set so it
dosent lean out at full load, and hence is a bit rich at low load,

Old June 27th 09, 08:36 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

gazz wrote:
they are all the same internaly, 50cc 2 stroke engine, small genny
head, it's all one casting, so when the engine dies, you chuck it away,
the output is 'regulated' by a simple capacitor and of course the
governer that keeps it at the right speed, but that's all thats really
needed,

as it's a alternator being spun at 3600 rpm or thereabouts, it's a pure
sine wave output, the only danger is when you first start it up and
it's on choke, and it runs out of fuel, then the engine speed will be
varying, so the output frequency will be varying too,

the 650 watt output is for a resistive load (tugsten/halogen light
bulb, simple heater etc) for motors the output is pretty low, think 350
watts has been mentioned,

If those small 2-stroke gennies really are "all the same", it will
probably run a 2kg-class SDS drill, a 500W conventional electric drill
or a 4.5in angle grinder quite comfortably. At least, ours does and I've
no reason to suppose it's anything special.

It also runs the OFCH (fan, pump and controller), a small fridge or a
separate freezer - only one at a time because of the startup loads, but
none of them needs to run continuously. More recently we replaced the
separates with a larger fridge-freezer which really makes the genny
grunt on startup; in our case the generator still wins out, but YMMV.

All in all, the "800W" genny has proved a very cost-effective way to get
through the occasional power cut, and the good performance with power
tools was an unexpected bonus.

It has now joined that annoying class of cheap and cheerful tools that
stubbornly refuse to stop working, so I can't justify buying something
better.

--
Ian White
Old June 27th 09, 01:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 18:19:49 +0100, Clint Sharp
wrote:

If it's not an inverter type then it has to be pure sine wave doesn't it
or am I missing something?

I don't know, that's why I asked

I'm sure only inverters have square wave outputs but I don't know
whether some generators have more noise than others or less stable
frequencies than others?
Old June 27th 09, 01:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 11:18:59 -0700 (PDT), Andy Dingley
wrote:

Didn't choose it, didn't buy it, avoid using the thing, but yes, I've
got one.

You don't sound too keen! Why do you avoid it?

It's better than not having one. OTOH, I can pick up far better Honda
4 strokes S/H from farm auctions for a pittance, and they're bigger,
quieter, dead easy to service (buy a whole new GX120 at the next farm
auction!) and I suspect use less fuel too.

I have heard Honda is the name to buy for generators, is that so?

What is a farm auction and can anyone (i.e. non-farmers) go?

Thanks.

Aldi toy - did anyone get one ? Colin Wilson UK diy 16 October 8th 08 08:51 PM
someone on here was regretting not buying an aldi generator dmc UK diy 3 June 19th 06 04:37 PM
aldi 2.2kW long-run generator DMac UK diy 4 June 12th 06 04:10 PM
Aldi Sat Nav for 150 Gav UK diy 0 May 19th 06 09:58 PM
Off to Aldi... Jerry Built UK diy 2 June 29th 04 07:58 AM