Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default leak from tap nut...

The tap which controls hot water to my washing machine has a slow leak
(a drop a minute) from between the stem of the tap 'handle' and the
nut round the shaft.

The tap is about thirty years old, it's brass and soldered directly to
the copper tubeing.

I tentativley tightened the nut without any improvement.

What the best way to cure the problem? TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
The tap which controls hot water to my washing machine has a slow leak
(a drop a minute) from between the stem of the tap 'handle' and the
nut round the shaft.

The tap is about thirty years old, it's brass and soldered directly to
the copper tubeing.

I tentativley tightened the nut without any improvement.

What the best way to cure the problem? TIA

Take about one and a half inches of ptfe tape and roll length ways till it
resembles a bit of string.

Undo the gland nut and slide it up the shaft and loosely wind the tape
clockwise onto the shaft push the tape down and push down the nut and
tighten (not too much) that should cure the problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 June, 20:59, "Heliotrope Smith" wrote:
wrote in message

The tap which controls hot water to my washing machine has a slow leak
(a drop a minute) from between the stem of the tap 'handle' and the
nut round the shaft.

The tap is about thirty years old, it's brass and soldered directly to
the copper tubeing.

I tentativley tightened the nut without any improvement.

What the best way to cure the problem? TIA

Take about one and a half inches of *ptfe tape and roll length ways till it
resembles a bit of string.

Undo the gland nut and slide it up the shaft and loosely wind the tape
clockwise onto the shaft push the tape down and push down the nut and
tighten (not too much) that should cure the problem.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Spa leak [email protected] Home Repair 0 December 15th 06 07:09 PM
Do I have a leak? [email protected] Home Repair 4 May 17th 06 12:46 AM
Do I have a leak? [email protected] Home Repair 0 May 17th 06 12:20 AM
I'm puzzled about my leaking roof. It's not leaking like a leak should leak. Daniel Cullpeppper Home Repair 10 April 30th 06 04:16 AM
Gas leak! Stuck valve Home Repair 5 December 14th 04 04:19 AM