Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default yale lock problem

If I shut my front door a bit too hard the lever inside the lock detaches
and the locks `spins` and i have to break the lock to get in.

Does this mean I cut the lever too small?

It does just `sit` in place doesnt it? Or am I putting it in wrong. It
doesnt seem to click into place or anything it just sits in the groove.

Because this has happened a few times the metal frame part that goes onto
the inside of the door with the 2 screw holes has become distorted. Can I
buy one of these new or do I need a whole new lock?

Cheers for any help!

Its the 60mm one 4th down on this page
http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/s...sp?iBrandID=72

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim E" wrote in message
o.uk...
If I shut my front door a bit too hard the lever inside the lock detaches
and the locks `spins` and i have to break the lock to get in.

Does this mean I cut the lever too small?

It does just `sit` in place doesnt it? Or am I putting it in wrong. It
doesnt seem to click into place or anything it just sits in the groove.

It sounds as though you have cut the operating bar too short. It does just
slide into the slot, but it should also be able to go a fair way inside the
lock. The easiest way to judge how much to cut off is to put the cylinder on
the door, slide the lock over the bar until it stops, then measure the gap
between the lock and the door. Cut that much, plus about a millimetre, off
the end of the operating bar.

Because this has happened a few times the metal frame part that goes onto
the inside of the door with the 2 screw holes has become distorted. Can I
buy one of these new or do I need a whole new lock?

A proper locksmith may be able to sell you one.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar.me.uk" cpb@insert my surname here wrote in message

"Jim E" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

For at least some of these, the operating bar as described by Colin will
unclip from the lock (the key-side) if you wiggle it correctly. So you might
get away with changing the bar, not the whole lock. If it's just a standard
Yale-type lock with a night-latch on the inside each "side" costs about a
fiver from Screwfix or a decent hardware shop.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim E wrote:
If I shut my front door a bit too hard the lever inside the lock detaches
and the locks `spins` and i have to break the lock to get in.

Does this mean I cut the lever too small?

It does just `sit` in place doesnt it? Or am I putting it in wrong. It
doesnt seem to click into place or anything it just sits in the groove.

Because this has happened a few times the metal frame part that goes onto
the inside of the door with the 2 screw holes has become distorted. Can I
buy one of these new or do I need a whole new lock?

Cheers for any help!

Its the 60mm one 4th down on this page
http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/s...sp?iBrandID=72

What Colin says. On your lock the connecting bar can be really long
without any problem, because any excess disappears into the handle.

Even a genuine Yale 1109 cylinder does not have a replacement mounting
plate these days.

Just Ebay search for "rim cylinder" and pick one that has the mounting
plate included. There are currently some ERA ones for 3.99. You can
either change the cylinder or just use the plate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim E wrote:
If I shut my front door a bit too hard the lever inside the lock
detaches and the locks `spins` and i have to break the lock to get in.

Does this mean I cut the lever too small?

Sounds like it to me. It wants to be a long as possible.

It does just `sit` in place doesnt it? Or am I putting it in wrong. It
doesnt seem to click into place or anything it just sits in the
groove.

It just sits in place - as long as its long enough.

Because this has happened a few times the metal frame part that goes
onto the inside of the door with the 2 screw holes has become
distorted. Can I buy one of these new or do I need a whole new lock?

Not sure what you mean, but if its the flat metal pressing that the screws
securing the front go through, then I'd just change the whole bloody thing.

Don't buy a cheap one, spend the £30 + on a proper Yale or ERA. The local
Uni where I do the maintenance on the student halls has three accommodation
blocks (8 locks per block) with el cheapo (£7 each) rim locks - the 'yoke'
inside distorts with repeated use/slamming resulting in the door not
latching properly. I change about three a month. The other three blocks
(also 8 locks per block) have genuine Yales & I've never changed one.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim E" wrote in message

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
Jim E wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the help guys. The plate I need is the one on the back of the
door which the actual latch attaches to. It has 2 lugs for the screws. It
has nothing to do with the barrel so a new barrel is no use except it will
give me the longer lock lever.

The part I need is for the actual housing of the lock on the inside.

Anyone know what this is called?

Yale are sending me one free.

Superb service!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "The Medway Handyman" contains
these words:

Don't buy a cheap one, spend the £30 + on a proper Yale or ERA.

Sadly, there are a lot of night latches sold under the Yale brand name
which are absolute rubbish. I have a couple here which have been
subjected only to minor domestic use and on which the thumb-slide has
failed -- and been replaced by a bolt, couple of nuts and a couple of
washers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim E" wrote in message
o.uk...
If I shut my front door a bit too hard the lever inside the lock detaches
and the locks `spins` and i have to break the lock to get in.

Does this mean I cut the lever too small?

It does just `sit` in place doesnt it? Or am I putting it in wrong. It
doesnt seem to click into place or anything it just sits in the groove.

Because this has happened a few times the metal frame part that goes onto
the inside of the door with the 2 screw holes has become distorted. Can I
buy one of these new or do I need a whole new lock?

Cheers for any help!

Its the 60mm one 4th down on this page
http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/s...sp?iBrandID=72

A locksmith will have any amount of these bits lying around, I would be
happy to help you out for free if asked.

Yale lock broken\ attempted burglary Sarah UK diy 13 July 27th 08 09:57 PM
Yale Mortice Lock John UK diy 2 February 28th 08 09:08 PM
Which Yale lock? Lobster UK diy 18 July 21st 06 06:39 PM
Replace Yale lock wothout a key [email protected] UK diy 31 April 25th 06 05:11 PM