wooden gates: how to make?

Old June 21st 09, 08:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default wooden gates: how to make?

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 17:26:46 +0100, Fred wrote:

Hi,

A neighbour has a rusty metal gate that he would like to replace. It is
fifteen feet wide but the few places he has asked only supply replacements
up to 12 feet wide.

How easy is it to make a wooden gate that size? What thickness of timber
would be required? I presume you use one or more thick diagonals and
either leave it open, or if privacy is required, nail T&G on top?

TIA

It might make sense in the circumstances to have the old gate sand blasted
and possibly strengthened, depending on condition. There are plenty of mobile sand
blasters around. At least he would know that the gate post will take the strain.

It will be quite difficult to make a wooden gate of the required length
without making it unduly heavy - perhaps too heavy for the existing gate
post.

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Old June 21st 09, 08:34 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 17:44:34 +0100, Steve Walker
wrote:

simply a 12' gate with a 3' gate welded to the end of it

I think he now wants wood rather than metal, though I suppose you
could bolt a 3' wooden gate to a 12' one.

I'm surprised that the consensus seems to be to buy ready made gates;
normally you get told off for doing that in uk.diy
Old June 21st 09, 08:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 18:50:12 +0200, David in Normandy
wrote:

I've made smaller wooden gates and repaired larger farm gates. Before
constructing it you need to consider the function of the gate. Is is to
be livestock proof? Cattle / horses can do a lot of damage if for
whatever reason they apply weight to a gate. (grass being greener on
other side for example). Does it need to keep in small livestock? Does
the gate need to be aesthetically pleasing - i.e. will it be in a posh
drive entrance position or in a farm yard?

It is not a farm nor is it a posh house, it's something halfway
between the two!

A five bar gate is all he wants really. He is quite happy with the
style of a five bar gate. It doesn't need to be any fancier than that.

He doesn't have any livestock to contain, though there was a story
about a cow escaping from a farmer's field into his garden once many
years ago, so animal resistance would be desirable but not essential.

Generally, the heavier you make a gate the more it will cost but also
the more strain it puts on the gate post. It is common for gate posts to
sag after a few years unless they are suitably strong and have adequate
foundations. A gate 15 feet wide will produce a lot of leverage on the
gate post. I'd be tempted to make two smaller gates. In fact I do have a
pair to make some time in the near future for my own drive.

I think his wife has vetoed two smaller gates!

I would think the metal five bar gate he has now is pretty heavy. I
guess I will be asked to angle grind it into smaller pieces when it is
replaced! It has very big gate posts already, so I would hope they
would withstand the weight of a new gate. OTOH I suppose the metal is
hollow. Is a wooden gate much heavier than a steel gate of the same
size?

Perhaps this is obvious, but the diagonals you refer to are most
important; they stop the gate itself from sagging, so need to be sturdy.

Horses for courses. Build the gate to meet the particular requirements.
I'm sure there are lots of gate designs on the internet if you do a
google search, from the traditional five bar gate onwards. They are not
difficult to make.

Part of the problem with google is knowing what term to use. Now that
I know what they are called, that will help me. So far I can find
people wanting to sell me their gates, not help me make my own. I can
see pictures on their sites showing the arrangement of the timbers but
they do not share the trade secrets of what size the timber has to be!

Thank you for your replies.
Old June 21st 09, 09:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

I know what they are called, that will help me. So far I can find
people wanting to sell me their gates, not help me make my own. I can
see pictures on their sites showing the arrangement of the timbers but
they do not share the trade secrets of what size the timber has to be!

I'm bored waiting on a phone call so....

you might look at http://www.nc-web.net/sandpjoinery/products.html
(advertising wooden field gates up to 5.6m; level crossing gates up to
13m) or http://www.jamessmithfencing.co.uk/c...ub.asp?page=12
(metal gates to 16ft).

(that you contemplate DIY-ing such a gate makes me feel more than a
little inadequate)

Old June 21st 09, 10:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

....but
they do not share the trade secrets of what size the timber has to be!

PS

these plans from Canada include details of timber and appear to be for
gates up to 16'

Old June 21st 09, 10:37 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Buggrit! Millennium Hand & Shrimp!

http://www.cps.gov.on.ca/english/pla...8364/8364L.pdf

Old June 21st 09, 11:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 22, 4:26 am, Fred wrote:
Hi,

A neighbour has a rusty metal gate that he would like to replace. It
is fifteen feet wide but the few places he has asked only supply
replacements up to 12 feet wide.

How easy is it to make a wooden gate that size? What thickness of
timber would be required? I presume you use one or more thick
diagonals and either leave it open, or if privacy is required, nail
T&G on top?

I have just made a gate 15 feet wide entirely out of 1.75" square
wood.
I wanted two swinging gates but there is no room for them to swing so
it slides with two wheels on a stainless steel rail instead.
It has three rails, four diagonals and 40 pickets and was quite easy
to make, although it took me a long time.
Old June 22nd 09, 07:09 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 22, 10:33 am, Matty F wrote:
On Jun 22, 4:26 am, Fred wrote:

Hi,

A neighbour has a rusty metal gate that he would like to replace. It
is fifteen feet wide but the few places he has asked only supply
replacements up to 12 feet wide.

How easy is it to make a wooden gate that size? What thickness of
timber would be required? I presume you use one or more thick
diagonals and either leave it open, or if privacy is required, nail
T&G on top?

I have just made a gate 15 feet wide entirely out of 1.75" square
wood.
I wanted two swinging gates but there is no room for them to swing so
it slides with two wheels on a stainless steel rail instead.
It has three rails, four diagonals and 40 pickets and was quite easy
to make, although it took me a long time.

Here's a pic:
http://i42.tinypic.com/2r478dg.jpg

Small swinging gate on the left, sliding 15 foot gate on the right. It
slides behind the rest of the fence on the right. I made the gates to
match the existing fence.
I imagine the 15 foot gate would swing OK if hinged to a very strong
post.
Old June 22nd 09, 08:32 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 15:33:34 -0700 (PDT), Matty F wrote:

On Jun 22, 4:26 am, Fred wrote:
Hi,

A neighbour has a rusty metal gate that he would like to replace. It
is fifteen feet wide but the few places he has asked only supply
replacements up to 12 feet wide.

How easy is it to make a wooden gate that size? What thickness of
timber would be required? I presume you use one or more thick
diagonals and either leave it open, or if privacy is required, nail
T&G on top?

I have just made a gate 15 feet wide entirely out of 1.75" square
wood.
I wanted two swinging gates but there is no room for them to swing so
it slides with two wheels on a stainless steel rail instead.
It has three rails, four diagonals and 40 pickets and was quite easy
to make, although it took me a long time.

That's smart!
I made a 3' picket gate and it took quite a while. It had to be strong as
there were 2 springer spaniels to restrain; eventually there were up to 5
dogs jumping up it. Fortunately I went to an agricultural outlet for the
hinges as the bacofoil things in the sheds would have given way.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Old June 22nd 09, 09:56 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have just made a gate 15 feet wide entirely out of 1.75" square
wood.
I wanted two swinging gates but there is no room for them to swing so
it slides with two wheels on a stainless steel rail instead.
It has three rails, four diagonals and 40 pickets and was quite easy
to make, although it took me a long time.

That looks really impressive. Well done! How is it all held together?
Nails?

Thanks.