Disconnect Bell Box Battery

Old June 9th 09, 09:51 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Disconnect Bell Box Battery

Hi all

A quick alarm question...
Is it detrimental to disconnect the bell box internal battery in advance of
further system works?
I understand that with the battery disconnected, the alarm won't sound if
the cable to it is cut (maybe the internal sounder will be activated by the
loss of bell tamper, thinking about it).

The reason I am considering this is because I need to decommission the alarm
system for internal works early next week. I don't like being up ladders in
wind or rain and the weather is looking unsettled over the next few days.
So I intended to disconnect the bell box battery when a suitable period of
calm weather occurred.

I don't believe that the bell box battery will suffer for a week or two of
disconnect time.

Any comments from the wise?

TIA

Phil

Old June 9th 09, 10:03 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a reasonable thing to do to me - if you have flashing LED's
on the bell box, one may stop because of the loss of the backup battery,
but other than that, as long as the bell box is in SAB mode, rather than
SCB mode (Self Contained Bell, where AFAIK the sounder always uses the
battery to sound) you can always test this by doing a bell test after
you disconnect the battery)

Unless there is a way to deactivate the tamper in the bell box that you
know of, you need to put your panel into engineering mode, then climb
ladder with ear defenders, open the bell box (which should sound when
you open it) then disconnect the battery (still sounding), then put the
cover back on (it should stop sounding now!)

If you omit the ear defenders, then prepare yourself for ringing ears
for quite a while afterwards...

Toby...
Old June 9th 09, 10:39 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 9, 9:03*am, Toby wrote:
TheScullster wrote:
[...]

prepare yoruself for deafness for ever i should think. These alarms
have a source level up to 105dB. So if you are 50cm from it you will
be exposed to a received level of about 111dB.

The threshold for hearing damage is round about 85dB.

Robert

Old June 9th 09, 10:53 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
[...]

the only issues I see are insurance validity and security risk. The
SLA wont care.

NT
Old June 9th 09, 02:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Toby" wrote

Sounds like a reasonable thing to do to me - if you have flashing LED's on
the bell box, one may stop because of the loss of the backup battery, but
other than that, as long as the bell box is in SAB mode, rather than SCB
mode (Self Contained Bell, where AFAIK the sounder always uses the battery
to sound) you can always test this by doing a bell test after you
disconnect the battery)

Unless there is a way to deactivate the tamper in the bell box that you
know of, you need to put your panel into engineering mode, then climb
ladder with ear defenders, open the bell box (which should sound when you
open it) then disconnect the battery (still sounding), then put the cover
back on (it should stop sounding now!)

If you omit the ear defenders, then prepare yourself for ringing ears for
quite a while afterwards...

Toby...

Thanks Toby

I will check for SAB/SCB mode.
Yes I can de-activate the bell box - there is a 15min hold-off facility
which can be invoked by testing the strobe 3 times in 30 seconds.
One problem is that it is difficult to see the flash mode of the bell box
leds on a bright day.
Think I'll fit the ear plugs just in case

Phil

Old June 9th 09, 04:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message

"Toby" wrote

[...]

Ear plug are a wise choice. And how long do you think the bell box spends on
the wholesalers shelf before without power before they are sold and still
work? Do not worry.

On the SAB connections in your alarm panel then connect 0V and Tamp (D and C
respectively) to each other to stop the internal tamper sounding. Do this
before climbing the ladder!

Adam

Old June 9th 09, 05:09 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
news

[...]

Or simply just put the panel into engineering mode, as otherwise opening the
panel will set the tamper alarm off anyway!

Toby...

Old June 9th 09, 07:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 01:39:30 -0700 (PDT), RobertL wrote:

On Jun 9, 9:03*am, Toby wrote:
TheScullster wrote:
[...]

85dBA (note the A) is the recommended maximum for contnuous exposure over
an eight hour period (although it may have recently been reduced), you can
take considerably more for short periods without damage. The A weighting
adjusts the multipliers for different frequencies to match the effect
across the frequency range upon the ear more accurately.

SteveW
Old June 23rd 09, 07:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
Dai

try www.ukpanels.com/forum1

CPC Disconnect mm Electronics Repair 3 October 8th 07 07:33 PM
Wirefree bell push to wired bell Duncan UK diy 5 June 4th 06 10:14 PM
Need to replace Nicad Battery on Southwestern Bell cordless GH5850 [email protected] Electronics Repair 11 May 30th 06 10:56 PM
Friedland wireless door bell doesn't work - wrong battery? [email protected] UK diy 4 March 3rd 06 11:07 AM
AC Disconnect Bedford Guy Home Repair 10 February 1st 06 08:42 PM