Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas condensate drain - internal

Hi,

Been looking at the Viessmann Vitodens Compact 100 manual. All condensate
drain configurations are shown terminating into an open outside gulley,
save for one, which is linked in with the rainwater downpipe.

Why can't the drain go into an internal pipe, say a run that serves a
washing machine for example, that then terminates into an internal soil
stack?

I thought about fumes leakage, but on example shows the boiler condensate
drain dropping into an open pipe which couples to a sink drain then leads
to an outside gulley. So that seems to contradict the fumes theory.

BCO mentioned he thought they could only go into a gulley - which got me
thinking...

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

Why can't the drain go into an internal pipe, say a run that serves a
washing machine for example, that then terminates into an internal soil
stack?

No reason at all AFAIK. Mine terminates into a vented
washing-machine-type vertical pipe; although that then runs to an
outside gully.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lobster writes:
Tim S wrote:

Why can't the drain go into an internal pipe, say a run that serves a
washing machine for example, that then terminates into an internal soil
stack?

No reason at all AFAIK. Mine terminates into a vented
washing-machine-type vertical pipe; although that then runs to an
outside gully.

Mine runs into the washbasin runaway.
One thing I did though was to fit an AAV u-trap on the basin,
so the run-away can't suck dry the condensate u-trap in the
boiler.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 22:27:47 +0100, Tim S wrote:

Hi,

Been looking at the Viessmann Vitodens Compact 100 manual. All condensate
drain configurations are shown terminating into an open outside gulley,
save for one, which is linked in with the rainwater downpipe.

Why can't the drain go into an internal pipe, say a run that serves a
washing machine for example, that then terminates into an internal soil
stack?

I thought about fumes leakage, but on example shows the boiler condensate
drain dropping into an open pipe which couples to a sink drain then leads
to an outside gulley. So that seems to contradict the fumes theory.

Assuming the boiler has its own trap (I think most do) then your only issue
is preventing the condensate waste from blocking (including airlocking)
and condensate backing up into the boiler's heat exchanger. This can cause
interesting effects (BTDTGTTS) ;-). Nowadays I often have a short length of
21.5mm/22mm plastic overflow waste out of the boiler dipping just half an
inch or so into a 32mm stand pipe, often then reduced back to 21.5/22mm
for a run into a proper waste, trapped as necessary to avoid drain smells
and draughts back into the building. Depending on the pipe runs the
3smm/21.5mm may form a long shallow U-trap before meeting the 'real' waste
(remember that the contents of this are clean, if acidic, water so no
problem with depositing crud in the pipes as would be the case with sink
and washing machine wastes).

--------
| |
| |
| boiler |
| |
| |
| |
-|------

| - 21.5mm

| |
| | - 32mm
| |
| |
| | | |
| | -----| |
| 21.5 | | |
------- - - - - - - ---- | |
\ \
\ ------ Real
------- Waste

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Never believe anyone who claims to be a liar
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

BCO mentioned he thought they could only go into a gulley - which got me
thinking...

Not that I am aware of... I did mine into a stand pipe inside shared
with a washing machine. Its worth having an air break of some sort - but
it does not need to be (only) outside.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Tim S wrote:
Hi,

Been looking at the Viessmann Vitodens Compact 100 manual. All condensate
drain configurations are shown terminating into an open outside gulley,
save for one, which is linked in with the rainwater downpipe.

Why can't the drain go into an internal pipe, say a run that serves a
washing machine for example, that then terminates into an internal soil
stack?

I thought about fumes leakage, but on example shows the boiler condensate
drain dropping into an open pipe which couples to a sink drain then leads
to an outside gulley. So that seems to contradict the fumes theory.

BCO mentioned he thought they could only go into a gulley - which got me
thinking...

Cheers

Tim

There is one huge advantage of it going to an internal pipe. Very
unlikely to freeze.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

YAPH coughed up some electrons that declared:

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 22:27:47 +0100, Tim S wrote:

Hi,

Been looking at the Viessmann Vitodens Compact 100 manual. All condensate
drain configurations are shown terminating into an open outside gulley,
save for one, which is linked in with the rainwater downpipe.

Why can't the drain go into an internal pipe, say a run that serves a
washing machine for example, that then terminates into an internal soil
stack?

I thought about fumes leakage, but on example shows the boiler condensate
drain dropping into an open pipe which couples to a sink drain then leads
to an outside gulley. So that seems to contradict the fumes theory.

Assuming the boiler has its own trap (I think most do) then your only
issue is preventing the condensate waste from blocking (including
airlocking) and condensate backing up into the boiler's heat exchanger.
This can cause interesting effects (BTDTGTTS) ;-). Nowadays I often have a
short length of 21.5mm/22mm plastic overflow waste out of the boiler
dipping just half an inch or so into a 32mm stand pipe, often then reduced
back to 21.5/22mm for a run into a proper waste, trapped as necessary to
avoid drain smells and draughts back into the building. Depending on the
pipe runs the 3smm/21.5mm may form a long shallow U-trap before meeting
the 'real' waste (remember that the contents of this are clean, if acidic,
water so no problem with depositing crud in the pipes as would be the case
with sink and washing machine wastes).

--------
| |
| |
| boiler |
| |
| |
| |
-|------

| - 21.5mm

| |
| | - 32mm
| |
| |
| | | |
| | -----| |
| 21.5 | | |
------- - - - - - - ---- | |
\ \
\ ------ Real
------- Waste

Thanks John and everyone else.

The above is more or less as I was planning. The boiler position is above an
appliance point (washing machine) and just the other side of the wall from
the loo. It seemed obvious to me to run of the 90 degree bend to the loo
(the the bend has side entry spigots), through the wall as 40mm, trap then
two upstands, one for machine, one for boiler. Both upstands of course will
be pipe-dangling-in pipe, so have airbreaks.

Yes, the Vitodens has an internal trap - one of the stages of comissioning
is to prime the trap by pouring water in the top flue before final fitting
of flue. They do warn that combustion products may escape until the U-trap
is correctly filled.

I agree on the pipe freezing problem - which is why I thought it would be
better in than out.

I'll have longer a plough through the gas BS docs and see if I can find a
written justification in case BCO asks.

Cheers

Tim