Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Odd fence post mix?

Doing a fencing job at the mo, and its being a right embuggerance.

Posts are rotten at ground level & seem to be embedded in a mixture of
hardcore & dry mix sand/cement. The hardcore breaks out OK but the crumbly
dry mix is a PITA.

Using a big breaker (hired) but whats happening is that the point digs into
the crumbly stuff for about 2" then jams & has be pulled out. You have to
hold the breaker back to stop the point sticking.

I'm guessing, but the section of fence causing the trouble is at the bottom
of a fairly long slope and I reckon it gets very wet in bad weather. I
suspect that the posts were inserted by packing hardcore around them & then
using a dry mix of sand/cement like you would when pointing a patio.

Anyone come across this method of fence post fixing before?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:

Doing a fencing job at the mo, and its being a right embuggerance.

Posts are rotten at ground level & seem to be embedded in a mixture of
hardcore & dry mix sand/cement. The hardcore breaks out OK but the
crumbly dry mix is a PITA.

Using a big breaker (hired) but whats happening is that the point digs
into
the crumbly stuff for about 2" then jams & has be pulled out. You have to
hold the breaker back to stop the point sticking.

Having just helped a neighbour with a fence post...

Would a spade bit work better on the breaker?
Or can you try to break out at 45 degrees from the centre - ie push the base
apart, outwards?

Using a weedy SDS, I had to dig down a bit to expose the "concrete", then
knock one side out (digging as required to allow the SDS access and to give
the concrete room to break). Then we did the neighbouring side. Remaining
two sides were solid, so left to locate the new post.

The most obstructive bit was the old rotten wood - had to use the SDS and a
long bar to break it up and lever it out in bits.

Do you have a TNT license?

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message m...
[...]

That's where the JCB 3CX comes in! Grab the old post in the 4 in1
bucket mouth, and pull it out like an old tooth. Had to do dozens like
that here. And the secret is to whack the concrete plug with a sledge
hammer while it's still up in the air and it all falls off leaving the
timber ready for re-use or burning.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Doing a fencing job at the mo, and its being a right embuggerance.

Posts are rotten at ground level & seem to be embedded in a mixture of
hardcore & dry mix sand/cement. The hardcore breaks out OK but the
crumbly dry mix is a PITA.

Using a big breaker (hired) but whats happening is that the point
digs into the crumbly stuff for about 2" then jams & has be pulled
out. You have to hold the breaker back to stop the point sticking.

I think I've sussed this out. Anyone remember an old 'schoolboy' bet where
you lifted a glass of sand with a table knife? It was something to do with
the knife being plunged up & down until the sand compressed around the
blade.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Privacy Fence w/ Post 10' Apart wrldruler Home Repair 7 September 2nd 08 02:01 AM
Fence Post crmay Home Repair 11 May 27th 06 01:37 AM
FENCE POST CONCRETE MIX Barnsey UK diy 6 May 31st 05 08:21 PM
fence post holes clara UK diy 4 March 24th 04 04:31 PM
What is the best 4 x 4 Fence Post to Use? Michael Home Repair 8 July 9th 03 04:12 AM