Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default removing stuck car wheels.

I've got a flat tyre on one of my rear wheels, thought it would be a case of
jacking it up removing the nuts and giving the tyre/wheel a good kicking and
it would fall off but its stuck solid.
I've been kicking / hitting / prying the wheel from behind while on axle
stands but its still not budging.

The tyre won't hold air for any longer than a couple of minutes so I can't
even drive to the local tyre place to let them deal with it.

Anyone any tips on getting it off?

Cheers

Steven.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steven Campbell wrote:
I've got a flat tyre on one of my rear wheels, thought it would be a
case of jacking it up removing the nuts and giving the tyre/wheel a
good kicking and it would fall off but its stuck solid.
I've been kicking / hitting / prying the wheel from behind while on
axle stands but its still not budging.

An idiotic question, but have all the wheel nuts/studs been removed?
Generally if they have, and you have a 'stuck' wheel, then giving a 'good
rocking' by pulling backwards and forwards on the top of the tyre usually
resolves this - unless it is an exotic car with a taper on the centre of
wheel and held on by a single 'big nut'.

The tyre won't hold air for any longer than a couple of minutes so I
can't even drive to the local tyre place to let them deal with it.

If you really cannot get the wheel off, then buy a can of tyre repair 'goo'
and put this in the tyre to seal the hole - and drive carefully to the tyre
fitters.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steven
Campbell writes
I've got a flat tyre on one of my rear wheels, thought it would be a case of
jacking it up removing the nuts and giving the tyre/wheel a good kicking and
it would fall off but its stuck solid.
I've been kicking / hitting / prying the wheel from behind while on axle
stands but its still not budging.

Unsure whether you have actually removed the wheel nuts - its not clear

The tyre won't hold air for any longer than a couple of minutes so I can't
even drive to the local tyre place to let them deal with it.

Fill it with ultraseal or some other puncture repair then drive off to
the local tyre place

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 May 2009 22:43:08 +0100 Steven Campbell wrote :
I've got a flat tyre on one of my rear wheels, thought it would be a case of
jacking it up removing the nuts and giving the tyre/wheel a good kicking and
it would fall off but its stuck solid.
I've been kicking / hitting / prying the wheel from behind while on axle
stands but its still not budging.

The tyre won't hold air for any longer than a couple of minutes so I can't
even drive to the local tyre place to let them deal with it.

Anyone any tips on getting it off?

Gently lower the jack so that some of the weight is taken on this wheel?

--
Tony Bryer, 'Software to build on' from Greentram
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 May, 23:11, Tony Bryer wrote:
On Sat, 16 May 2009 22:43:08 +0100 Steven Campbell wrote :

I've got a flat tyre on one of my rear wheels, thought it would be a case of
jacking it up removing the nuts and giving the tyre/wheel a good kicking and
it would fall off but its stuck solid.
I've been kicking / hitting / prying the wheel from behind while on axle
stands but its still not budging.

The tyre won't hold air for any longer than a couple of minutes so I can't
even drive to the local tyre place to let them deal with it.

Anyone any tips on getting it off?

Gently lower the jack so that some of the weight is taken on this wheel?

--
Tony Bryer, *'Software to build on' from Greentramwww.superbeam.co.uk*www.superbeam.com*www.greentram.com

Not uncommon for a wheel that's been on for a long time to rust on.
It is just a case of brute force - hammer, etc. Dropping the jack so
that the weight of the vehicle is on the very loosely bolted on wheel
has been known to work. In the extreme, blow the tyre up and drive
the car a 100yds or so with the nuts very slack - never had to do this
but I'm sure that would work in extremis.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 May 2009 22:56:50 +0100, Cash wrote:

If you really cannot get the wheel off, then buy a can of tyre repair
'goo' and put this in the tyre to seal the hole - and drive carefully to
the tyre fitters.

And be prepared to pay a little bit more for the work as they will have to
(or at least should!) clear up the goo from the wheel.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cash wrote:
Steven Campbell wrote:
[...]

After putting the goo in the tyre, you will have to fork out for a new
one. The goo works extremely well. I used to use it on my motorcycle in
the old days. in this case, it went into the inner tube and prevented
further punctures, until I needed a new tyre.

The goo works by entering the puncture from inside the tyre and setting
when it comes into contact with the air outside.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Dave
writes
Cash wrote:
Steven Campbell wrote:
[...]

If he has a puncture, he probably needs a new tyre anyway

However, granddad, if you google "ultraseal" you will find that it is
claimed to be more than a temporary fix

Which reminds me, having just paid £250 for a pair tyres maybe I should
chuck some in.

Surprisingly, I have no inner tubes

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steven Campbell" wrote in message
I've got a flat tyre on one of my rear wheels, thought it would be a case
of jacking it up removing the nuts and giving the tyre/wheel a good
kicking and it would fall off but its stuck solid.
I've been kicking / hitting / prying the wheel from behind while on axle
stands but its still not budging.

The tyre won't hold air for any longer than a couple of minutes so I can't
even drive to the local tyre place to let them deal with it.

Anyone any tips on getting it off?

Cheers

Steven.

Thanks folks. Yes the nuts are all off. I've basically done what I wrote in
the first 2 lines but to no avail.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
news
Cash wrote:
Steven Campbell wrote:
[...]

Cheers. The whole on the tyre is just on the wall of the tyre and no more so
I'll need to change the tyre anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

I've got a flat tyre on one of my rear wheels, thought it would be a case
of
jacking it up removing the nuts and giving the tyre/wheel a good kicking
and
it would fall off but its stuck solid.
I've been kicking / hitting / prying the wheel from behind while on axle
stands but its still not budging.

The tyre won't hold air for any longer than a couple of minutes so I can't
even drive to the local tyre place to let them deal with it.

Anyone any tips on getting it off?

Cheers

Put the nuts back on but leave them very slightly loose - pump the
tyre up and drive it around the block. If you can hit a pothole or
drop the wheel off a kerb so much the better.

Regards,

Interesting. After reading your reply I googled a bit and came up with
something similar but not sure I'd want to chance it.

http://autorepair.about.com/od/quick..._lug_break.htm

I also came up with a few sites suggesting that Alloys are especially prone
to sticking as they sort of weld themselves to the wheel hub with the heat
generated!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steven Campbell" wrote in message
I've got a flat tyre on one of my rear wheels, thought it would be a case
of jacking it up removing the nuts and giving the tyre/wheel a good
kicking and it would fall off but its stuck solid.
I've been kicking / hitting / prying the wheel from behind while on axle
stands but its still not budging.

The tyre won't hold air for any longer than a couple of minutes so I can't
even drive to the local tyre place to let them deal with it.

Anyone any tips on getting it off?

With the car jacked up:
I would place one end of a piece of wood against the metal part of the
wheel, and wack the other end of the piece of wood with a mallet.

Hitting the tyre with the mallet is a waste of time.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've got a flat tyre on one of my rear wheels, thought it would be a case of
jacking it up removing the nuts and giving the tyre/wheel a good kicking and
it would fall off but its stuck solid.
I've been kicking / hitting / prying the wheel from behind while on axle
stands but its still not budging.

The tyre won't hold air for any longer than a couple of minutes so I can't
even drive to the local tyre place to let them deal with it.

Anyone any tips on getting it off?

Cheers

Put the nuts back on but leave them very slightly loose - pump the
tyre up and drive it around the block. If you can hit a pothole or
drop the wheel off a kerb so much the better.

Regards,

--
Stephen Howard
Woodwind repairs & period restorations
http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 May 2009 22:57:40 UTC, "Steven Campbell"
wrote:

"Steven Campbell" wrote in message
I've got a flat tyre on one of my rear wheels, thought it would be a case
of jacking it up removing the nuts and giving the tyre/wheel a good
kicking and it would fall off but its stuck solid.
I've been kicking / hitting / prying the wheel from behind while on axle
stands but its still not budging.

The tyre won't hold air for any longer than a couple of minutes so I can't
even drive to the local tyre place to let them deal with it.

Anyone any tips on getting it off?

Cheers

Steven.

Thanks folks. Yes the nuts are all off. I've basically done what I wrote in
the first 2 lines but to no avail.

Piece of mild steel with matching holes in it. Suitably shaped thin
piece of wood or whatever behind it, against the visible bit of hub.
Replace the nuts and tighten a bit at a time.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 May 2009 00:02:21 +0100, "Steven Campbell"
wrote:

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message

snip

Put the nuts back on but leave them very slightly loose - pump the
tyre up and drive it around the block. If you can hit a pothole or
drop the wheel off a kerb so much the better.

Interesting. After reading your reply I googled a bit and came up with
something similar but not sure I'd want to chance it.

http://autorepair.about.com/od/quick..._lug_break.htm

I also came up with a few sites suggesting that Alloys are especially prone
to sticking as they sort of weld themselves to the wheel hub with the heat
generated!!!

I used to suffer with a rear alloy wheel on a Cavalier that used to
stick fast - just happened to mention it to the guy who came to tow it
away for scrap at the end of its life and he passed on the tip.

If your tyre is sidewall punctured then it's dead anyway, and you
can't ruin it any further by filling it up with puncture repair foam.
It'll get you to the garage, but they might complain about removing
the stuff.
Alternatively, check whether any local tyre firms do on-site
replacement. Might be worth it....last time I bought a couple of tyres
I queued up for two hours at Micheldever Tyres before finding out
they'd have charged me just £15 or so to come and fit them on site.
Cost me a fiver just to drive there and back.

Regards,

--
Stephen Howard
Woodwind repairs & period restorations
http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steven Campbell" wrote in message
I've got a flat tyre on one of my rear wheels, thought it would be a case
of jacking it up removing the nuts and giving the tyre/wheel a good
kicking and it would fall off but its stuck solid.
I've been kicking / hitting / prying the wheel from behind while on axle
stands but its still not budging.

The tyre won't hold air for any longer than a couple of minutes so I can't
even drive to the local tyre place to let them deal with it.

Anyone any tips on getting it off?

Put the car on axle stands.
If its an alloy wheel warm the centre of the hub with a blowlamp. Take care
not to overheat.
Using a large lump of wood behind the wheel (Scaffold plank or similar) slug
the feck out of the wheel from behind using a good size sledge hammer.
You might need assistance to hold the plank while you slug at it

Other than that being patient with the WD40 *might* do the trick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've got a flat tyre on one of my rear wheels, thought it would be a case
of jacking it up removing the nuts and giving the tyre/wheel a good
kicking and it would fall off but its stuck solid.
I've been kicking / hitting / prying the wheel from behind while on axle
stands but its still not budging.

The tyre won't hold air for any longer than a couple of minutes so I can't
even drive to the local tyre place to let them deal with it.

Anyone any tips on getting it off?

If all else failes Kwikfit have a mobile service. I have found them
excellent but you may have to wait.

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

What's the worry about moving the car with the nuts slightly slack ?
I take it you don't recognise the familiar clunking sound of a loose
wheel.

First happened to me in remote Turkey over 40 years ago and I thought
all hell had broken loose in the transmission - great relief from the
party when it was just a loose wheel, and since then it's happened a
couple of times over the years. No damage and just tighten them up !!

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steven
Campbell wrote

I also came up with a few sites suggesting that Alloys are especially prone
to sticking as they sort of weld themselves to the wheel hub with the heat
generated!!!

When I took my car in for new tyres the wheels were stuck on as
described. The fitter used brute force - in a constrained way.

He sat on the ground and with both feet he first kicked (with the heels
of his boots) the bottom of the tyre and then turned the tyre through
180 degrees and repeated. From the other side he hit the tyre with lump
hammer, turned the tyre trough 180 degrees and hit it again. He repeated
this twice before the wheel came off.

This was one of the only tyre places that I've used where they don't
just rely on the air gun to do up the wheel nuts. The nuts were first
done up with the air gun and then the fitter went around with a torque
wrench on all wheel nuts.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , geoff
wrote
In message , Dave
writes

The goo works by entering the puncture from inside the tyre and
setting when it comes into contact with the air outside.

However, granddad, if you google "ultraseal" you will find that it is
claimed to be more than a temporary fix

Which reminds me, having just paid £250 for a pair tyres maybe I should
chuck some in.

Surely having a liquid sloshing around in a 'new' tyre would cause
horrendous out of balance problems at certain road speeds?

If it works by coming into contact with air then at sometime it is going
to set when it comes into with the air inside of the tyre. Lets just
hope it is not at the low point when the car is sat in a driveway for a
week or two.

I have a punctured tyre approximately once every 10 years - with a spare
tyre available in the boot if required. Is inserting a goo into the
tyre from new a worthwhile insurance policy?

Surprisingly, I have no inner tubes

When did car tyres last have inner tubes?

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan wrote:
In message , Steven
Campbell wrote

I also came up with a few sites suggesting that Alloys are
especially prone to sticking as they sort of weld themselves to the
wheel hub with the heat generated!!!

When I took my car in for new tyres the wheels were stuck on as
described. The fitter used brute force - in a constrained way.

He sat on the ground and with both feet he first kicked (with the
heels of his boots) the bottom of the tyre and then turned the tyre
through 180 degrees and repeated. From the other side he hit the tyre
with lump hammer, turned the tyre trough 180 degrees and hit it
again. He repeated this twice before the wheel came off.

This was one of the only tyre places that I've used where they don't
just rely on the air gun to do up the wheel nuts. The nuts were first
done up with the air gun and then the fitter went around with a torque
wrench on all wheel nuts.

Kwikfit have abandoned the air gun approach & now use a torque wrench, and
least they had last time I went in. Lots of complaints about over doing the
torque had prompted the change apparently.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steven Campbell wrote:
I've got a flat tyre on one of my rear wheels, thought it would be a
case of jacking it up removing the nuts and giving the tyre/wheel a
good kicking and it would fall off but its stuck solid. I've been
kicking / hitting / prying the wheel from behind while on axle stands
but its still not budging.

The tyre won't hold air for any longer than a couple of minutes so I
can't even drive to the local tyre place to let them deal with it.

Anyone any tips on getting it off?

Slacken the nuts and drive the car a short distance. If it doesn't come
free immediately try some sharp braking.
Use a *thin* smear of copper grease over the mating parts of the wheel
when replacing.

--
*Arkansas State Motto: Don't Ask, Don't Tell, Don't Laugh.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Alan
writes
In message , geoff
wrote
In message , Dave
writes

The goo works by entering the puncture from inside the tyre and
setting when it comes into contact with the air outside.

However, granddad, if you google "ultraseal" you will find that it is
claimed to be more than a temporary fix

Which reminds me, having just paid £250 for a pair tyres maybe I
should chuck some in.

Surely having a liquid sloshing around in a 'new' tyre would cause
horrendous out of balance problems at certain road speeds?

I didn't notice any problems with my Suzuki

certainly better than the effects of a blowout at err ... 70 mph

If it works by coming into contact with air then at sometime it is
going to set when it comes into with the air inside of the tyre. Lets
just hope it is not at the low point when the car is sat in a driveway
for a week or two.

I'm talking more for a bike, where loss of one tyre is more significant
than with a car

I was suggesting it as a "get you to the tyre fitters" stopgap to the OP

I have a punctured tyre approximately once every 10 years - with a
spare tyre available in the boot if required. Is inserting a goo into
the tyre from new a worthwhile insurance policy?

Surprisingly, I have no inner tubes

When did car tyres last have inner tubes?

Ask dave ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 May 2009 08:18:13 +0100, R wrote:

[...]

If the /wheel/ is alloy and the /hub/ is steel, warm the wheel - gently but
quickly - 'til it's v. warm - bit hot to the touch, then try impact.
Aluminium expands more than steel, so this might loosen the wheel a bit.
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

the centre of the hub with a blowlamp. Take care
not to overheat.
Using a large lump of wood behind the wheel (Scaffold plank or similar) slug
the feck out of the wheel from behind using a good size sledge hammer.

dont knock the car off the axle stands onto your head-
i put huge logs under my bus in case it falls on me

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Alan wrote:
This was one of the only tyre places that I've used where they don't
just rely on the air gun to do up the wheel nuts. The nuts were first
done up with the air gun and then the fitter went around with a torque
wrench on all wheel nuts.

Even Kwikfit do that these days. But did you see them looking up a chart
for the correct setting?

--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 May 2009 12:31:30 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Alan wrote:
This was one of the only tyre places that I've used where they don't
just rely on the air gun to do up the wheel nuts. The nuts were first
done up with the air gun and then the fitter went around with a torque
wrench on all wheel nuts.

Even Kwikfit do that these days. But did you see them looking up a chart
for the correct setting?

The cranial meltdown that occurs when they consult the charts and the
vehicle isn't in it can be amusing :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 May 2009 09:51:43 +0100, Alan wrote:
Surprisingly, I have no inner tubes

When did car tyres last have inner tubes?

I had two fitted* to a car about ten years ago which had 1970's alloys on
it - internal corrosion / pitting meant that a tyre just wouldn't seal
properly any more. I probably did about 40k of fast-road driving on
them after and never had any problems.

* I really don't recall who now, but it was one of the national UK chains
rather than some backwater garage.

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 May 2009 16:29:41 UTC, Jules
wrote:

On Sun, 17 May 2009 09:51:43 +0100, Alan wrote:
Surprisingly, I have no inner tubes

When did car tyres last have inner tubes?

I had two fitted* to a car about ten years ago which had 1970's alloys on
it - internal corrosion / pitting meant that a tyre just wouldn't seal
properly any more. I probably did about 40k of fast-road driving on
them after and never had any problems.

* I really don't recall who now, but it was one of the national UK chains
rather than some backwater garage.

I had a mid-90s Astra that had that problem, although it was partly the
varnish or something on the alloys that was flaking and causing the seal
failure. I had the wheels skimmed and made 'as new' for about 35 quid
each. Brilliant jobs and I never had any more trouble. Problem was they
needed each wheel for about 3 days, so I ended up making several
trips...

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan wrote:
In message , geoff
wrote
In message , Dave
writes

The goo works by entering the puncture from inside the tyre and
setting when it comes into contact with the air outside.

However, granddad, if you google "ultraseal" you will find that it is
claimed to be more than a temporary fix

Which reminds me, having just paid £250 for a pair tyres maybe I
should chuck some in.

Surely having a liquid sloshing around in a 'new' tyre would cause
horrendous out of balance problems at certain road speeds?

That's why I believe that the manufacturer states a recommended *maximum*
speed limit when this stuff is used. Also, some years ago there was a tyre
that was sold with this stuff already fitted inside it which allowed the
tyre to run for up to 50 miles in a 'flat' condition - in effect, this 'goo'
sealed the hole, and the heat buit up when running, caused a partial
inflation of the tyre (I forget the name of the system now, but it
died-a-death because of the expense of it)

If it works by coming into contact with air then at sometime it is
going to set when it comes into with the air inside of the tyre. Lets
just hope it is not at the low point when the car is sat in a
driveway for a week or two.

I believe in practice, that will not happen if you comply with the products
instructions for use.

I have a punctured tyre approximately once every 10 years - with a
spare tyre available in the boot if required. Is inserting a goo
into the tyre from new a worthwhile insurance policy?

No, what's the point of doing that if you have a legal spare tyre - and can
remove the wheel with the flat tyre from the axle. This stuff is meant for
emergency usage only.

Surprisingly, I have no inner tubes

When did car tyres last have inner tubes?

Depends whether the car is fitted with radial (commom) or crossply (uncommon
now) tyres - besides, it used to be a common practise to fit an inner tube
into a radial tyre if the sidewall was punctured.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
This was one of the only tyre places that I've used where they don't
just rely on the air gun to do up the wheel nuts. The nuts were first
done up with the air gun and then the fitter went around with a
torque wrench on all wheel nuts.

Even Kwikfit do that these days. But did you see them looking up a
chart for the correct setting?

The cranial meltdown that occurs when they consult the charts and the
vehicle isn't in it can be amusing :-)

I watched them in my local one while waiting for a puncture to be
repaired. Same torque wrench used on three cars without being re-set. Of
course they *could* all have had the same setting.

--
*For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steven Campbell" gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

I also came up with a few sites suggesting that Alloys are especially
prone to sticking as they sort of weld themselves to the wheel hub with
the heat generated!!!

It's simply some electrolytic corrosion between the aluminium alloy and
steel. A smear of copaslip round the hub will sort it for next time.

And for the removal - yep, loosen the nuts slightly, and drive a short
distance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 May 2009 09:56:28 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Lots of complaints about over doing the torque had prompted the change
apparently.

Or their lawyers have looked at the liabilty issues of not tightening the
nuts to the correct torque, above or below...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , Alan
writes
In message , geoff wrote
In message , Dave
writes

[...]

I'm sure I said that I had used it in my motorbike tyre, but not certain
as I can't access my post anymore.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 May 2009 18:12:50 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

wrote:
This was one of the only tyre places that I've used where they don't
just rely on the air gun to do up the wheel nuts. The nuts were first
done up with the air gun and then the fitter went around with a
torque wrench on all wheel nuts.

Even Kwikfit do that these days. But did you see them looking up a
chart for the correct setting?

The cranial meltdown that occurs when they consult the charts and the
vehicle isn't in it can be amusing :-)

I watched them in my local one while waiting for a puncture to be
repaired. Same torque wrench used on three cars without being re-set. Of
course they *could* all have had the same setting.

Bloody Kwikfit - they wouldn't adjust the tracking on my car, as it wasn't
in their book. I told them I could give them the figures and would even
sign a piece of paper to say that they'd done it to my figures, but they
refused. In the end I got somewhere else to do it - I'd only gone to KF as
they were local and I didn't want to drive too far as the car wasn't
registered or tested (it was legal to drive to take it for work to be done,
as the work related to the SVA that was due, but I wanted to avoid any
hassles if I met any Plod that didn't know the rules!) Since then I've made
up my own simple tracking device and can do it myself.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
Bloody Kwikfit - they wouldn't adjust the tracking on my car, as it
wasn't in their book. I told them I could give them the figures and
would even sign a piece of paper to say that they'd done it to my
figures, but they refused. In the end I got somewhere else to do it -
I'd only gone to KF as they were local and I didn't want to drive too
far as the car wasn't registered or tested (it was legal to drive to
take it for work to be done, as the work related to the SVA that was
due, but I wanted to avoid any hassles if I met any Plod that didn't
know the rules!) Since then I've made up my own simple tracking device
and can do it myself.

I'd not use them for that anyway. Not after fitting a new steering rack
myself where it has a centre finder - a indent in the centre of the rack
you screw a bolt into to give the absolute centre. Then fitted the wheel
so it was 'straight' and took it to Kwikfit to have the tracking done.
After they'd done it the straight ahead position was miles out. As far as
they were concerned the tracking was correct. Might well have been - but
the geometry must have been out on lock. Eventually found a place who did
four wheel alignment and they got it spot on. They did refund what I'd
paid, though.

--
*Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

Bloody Kwikfit - they wouldn't adjust the tracking on my car, as it wasn't
in their book.

Narrow escape for you then. Never, ever, ever, get the tracking adjusted
at Kwik Fit. You stand a chance of getting a dork like Toomy doing it.

Find a decent independent in your area. If you know anyone who does
track days, take their advice.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steven Campbell" wrote in message
I've got a flat tyre on one of my rear wheels, thought it would be a case
of jacking it up removing the nuts and giving the tyre/wheel a good
kicking and it would fall off but its stuck solid.
I've been kicking / hitting / prying the wheel from behind while on axle
stands but its still not budging.

The tyre won't hold air for any longer than a couple of minutes so I can't
even drive to the local tyre place to let them deal with it.

Anyone any tips on getting it off?

Thanks everyone for the hints and tips.
I slackened the wheel nuts off and drove round my housing estate for a few
minutes, hitting every pot hole on the way but still the wheel refused to
budge.
In the end I squirted some super glue into the hole and loads on top of it.
Left it to cure for a couple of hours and then blew the tyre back up. Left
it over night and no air escaped at all.
So managed to drive the 10 miles or so to the nearest tyre place this
morning, again with no air escaping.

Job done. Great stuff that super glue ;o)

Steven.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steven Campbell wrote:

Thanks everyone for the hints and tips.
I slackened the wheel nuts off and drove round my housing estate for
a few minutes, hitting every pot hole on the way but still the wheel
refused to budge.
In the end I squirted some super glue into the hole and loads on top
of it. Left it to cure for a couple of hours and then blew the tyre
back up. Left it over night and no air escaped at all.
So managed to drive the 10 miles or so to the nearest tyre place this
morning, again with no air escaping.

Job done. Great stuff that super glue ;o)

So how they *they* get the wheel off?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
Steven Campbell wrote:

Thanks everyone for the hints and tips.
I slackened the wheel nuts off and drove round my housing estate for
a few minutes, hitting every pot hole on the way but still the wheel
refused to budge.
In the end I squirted some super glue into the hole and loads on top
of it. Left it to cure for a couple of hours and then blew the tyre
back up. Left it over night and no air escaped at all.
So managed to drive the 10 miles or so to the nearest tyre place this
morning, again with no air escaping.

Job done. Great stuff that super glue ;o)

So how they *they* get the wheel off?

Haven't a clue.
By the time I'd went in to the office and told them what price of tyre etc,
my car had been moved and the offending wheel removed.
I'd guess it was a great big hammer although I never heard them hammering!!

Steven.

removing stuck bath panel Fred UK diy 9 April 15th 19 08:12 AM
removing a shower head/fixture that is stuck techman41973 Home Repair 4 April 17th 09 12:51 PM
Removing stuck immersion heater Richard Skeen UK diy 21 April 7th 08 09:18 AM
Removing Stuck Sink Supply Lines Dick Home Repair 1 March 5th 05 06:04 PM
Removing really stuck flat head screws... Joe Metalworking 43 January 16th 05 01:34 AM